Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
From my perspective, watching the games, Caufield's numbers a direct result of Jack Hughes' (and now Trevor Zegras') dominance. He doesn't need a lot of space to get his shot off, but on the other hand, he doesn't do much by himself to get that space. His puck battle win rate along the boards in this tourney is approximately 0%, which is where I really chafe at comparisons to DeBrincat who is a goddamn demon on the boards. He floats defensively, and it's not his size that bothers me, but he plays small. This is a prospect that is truly boom or bust, and unlike DeBrincat, I think he's a good 3 years away from even a sniff at the NHL. I think he's an interesting prospect, and in another draft I might consider him top 10, but to me, he's a clear tier below the 3-10 in this draft.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I think there is more untapped offence there but that’s not why I’d be drafting him, he’s more of a shutdown defencman. I rarely ever see this kid make a mistake and if he does his skating is good enough to correct it. He never looses battles in front of the net or along the boards he’s a beast there. He can skate the puck out or make a nice pass and is not afraid to take a hit to make a play.

If I asked a computer to build me a shutdown defenceman for today’s game it would be him. Which is exactly what this team needs
That’s funny I too think there is more untapped offensive potential there. I was going to make a comment saying I could see him being a d-man who’s best year offensively at any major level would be the NHL.

As you said he can skate it out of trouble or make a tape to tape first pass. Last year as a 16 year old he played with a little more flair to his game. This year he locked it down and showed what an all around defenceman he is... at 17!

Reactions: Goathead

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No way. You realize you're basically calling him the next Ovechkin then, right?
Shatter Brett Hulls record was kind of tongue in cheek but he looks like a pure goal scorer, I haven't seen anything of the likes in over a decade. Obviously Hull's goal scoring record is pretty set in stone because no one is scoring 70 to 80 goals a season anymore and to pass it now a days you would need at least 20 consecutive seasons of 40 goals but to say he cant be an Ovechkkn with his ability to score is not a reach.

He has pin point accuracy with that effortless looking shot.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Shatter Brett Hulls record was kind of tongue in cheek but he looks like a pure goal scorer, I haven't seen anything of the likes in over a decade. Obviously Hull's goal scoring record is pretty set in stone because no one is scoring 70 to 80 goals a season anymore and to pass it now a days you would need at least 20 consecutive seasons of 40 goals but to say he cant be an Ovechkkn with his ability to score is not a reach.

He has pin point accuracy with that effortless looking shot.

Ovechkin is the greatest goal-scorer of all time. If there were a remotely realistic chance for Caufield to be on that level, or even particularly close to it, he'd be the slam-dunk #1 pick.

Reactions: Zman5778

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ovechkin is the greatest goal-scorer of all time. If there were a remotely realistic chance for Caufield to be on that level, or even particularly close to it, he'd be the slam-dunk #1 pick.
Not if your size in the eyes of scouts/gms is holding you back but when mentioning him with Ovechkin I'm not comparing styles or players, I'm comparing raw scoring capabilities.

His size is the only limiting factor hes not rated higher in this draft. Scouts/GMs are worried if hes small and gets knocked off the puck hes gonna be useless which is a factor but this kid can be another Marner with finding success due to size.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Not if your size in the eyes of scouts/gms is holding you back but when mentioning him with Ovechkin I'm not comparing styles or players, I'm comparing raw scoring capabilities.

His size is the only limiting factor hes not rated higher in this draft. Scouts/GMs are worried if hes small and gets knocked off the puck hes gonna be useless which is a factor but this kid can be another Marner with finding success due to size.

So basically he falls to the Leafs and their fans can gloat they got the best player in the draft.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The thing I like about Peyton Krebs besides he's a talented kid with a non-stop motor is he can attend Sabres training camp, play pre-season and <9 NHL games with a shot at making the team if he excels, Turcotte/Caufield/Boldy are def going to college.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing I like about Peyton Krebs besides he's a talented kid with a non-stop motor is he can attend Sabres training camp, play pre-season and <9 NHL games with a shot at making the team if he excels, Turcotte/Caufield/Boldy are def going to college.

Why is that important?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I want the Sabres to find a way to come away with Philip Tomasino. He’s gonna be a point guy in the show.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Because I'm out of patience and adding an upgrade to our forwards with an 18 year old 7th pick overall pick would be a good thing. Not saying rush a kid but if he has the talent then put him on the team.

They aren’t winning the cup next year.

Spoiler alert I guess.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
They aren’t winning the cup next year.

Spoiler alert I guess.

Neither are the Devils and Rangers but Hughes and Kakko will play in the NHL. Montreal played Kotkaniemi and finished 20 points ahead of us. We are picking 7th not 17th, there are 18 year olds who can play in the NHL, especially for teams that have terrible talent depth.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The guy I want is Jameson Rees. Marchand like qualities and intangibles. Makes something happen every time he is on the ice. Drags his line mates into battle. Rankings be damned, if SJ's 1st is late 1st round he is my target.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The guy I want is Jameson Rees. Marchand like qualities and intangibles. Makes something happen every time he is on the ice. Drags his line mates into battle. Rankings be damned, if SJ's 1st is late 1st round he is my target.

Rees has to be one of the biggest risers out of this U18 tournament. He's opened up a lot of eyes. Not that I think he's pushing into the end of round 1, but he doesn't seem like a player who will be on the board when the Sabres have their 3rd round selection.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Rees has to be one of the biggest risers out of this U18 tournament. He's opened up a lot of eyes. Not that I think he's pushing into the end of round 1, but he doesn't seem like a player who will be on the board when the Sabres have their 3rd round selection.

That's why I want him end of 1st. Unless they trade back into the 2nd but then you are risking another team grabbing him. This organization is desperately missing a Jameison Rees type player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's why I want him end of 1st. Unless they trade back into the 2nd but then you are risking another team grabbing him. This organization is desperately missing a Jameison Rees type player.

I think Grewe would be a strong choice at the end of the first and he offers some things that the Sabres are missing organizationally as well -- he's a hard-ass, shift-disturber who can play at pace and finishes his checks with intent, and is not devoid of puck skills. And while we as fans may see someone like Rees, or Krebs, or Grewe as ways to begin to fill a void, we don't know that the front office values this sort of player. They haven't put an emphasis on it yet, so while we like them for what they offer.... *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->