Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't forget that not only is Kakko and Byram not there but Dach is injured and not there and Lavoie is leading the QMJHL playoffs in scoring.

A lot of very interesting prospects this season.

It's that there is so much in that fourth grouping in terms of decision making.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Is it a reach to think Caufield could go top 5? Or even top 3? The kid is tearing up the U18 Worlds. Just a question

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We need Dallas to beat St. Louis to get our 2nd first rounder into the late teens. Bobby Brink, Brayden Tracey, Jamieson Rees have looked very good at the U18.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
All these people down on Caufield are only looking at his height and not watching him play. I've watched the kid for two years since he was on the NTDP U17 and playing with the U18's as a 16 year old and after Jack Hughes he was guy who was most consistently the most exciting to watch. He had chemistry with everyone and a huge motor. I'd love to have him. He's also a really nice kid.
I like Zegras a lot - think he's a bit of a sleeper compared to Turcotte. Boldy is solid but not as flashy.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
All these people down on Caufield are only looking at his height and not watching him play. I've watched the kid for two years since he was on the NTDP U17 and playing with the U18's as a 16 year old and after Jack Hughes he was guy who was most consistently the most exciting to watch. He had chemistry with everyone and a huge motor. I'd love to have him. He's also a really nice kid.
I like Zegras a lot - think he's a bit of a sleeper compared to Turcotte. Boldy is solid but not as flashy.
In the very little i've seen I think he's looked better than turcotte, but small sample size

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
We need Dallas to beat St. Louis to get our 2nd first rounder into the late teens. Bobby Brink, Brayden Tracey, Jamieson Rees have looked very good at the U18.
This to me is so stressful lol 10 spots is a huge difference...we could potentially get 2 top 6 players if Dallas wins.

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've seen him plenty. I haven't been "down" on him, but his size is the limiting factor. He's not my first choice at that spot because of it. Heck, even at the U18s against his peer group, he's had wall plays where his check simply manhandles the puck out of the zone. He's got amazing ability to finish in a variety of ways, he finds opens to get his shot away. And he's still really, really small.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This to me is so stressful lol 10 spots is a huge difference...we could potentially get 2 top 6 players if Dallas wins.

We could get 2 top 6 players either way. Picking higher is obviously nice, but good players are gonna come from outside the top 20 picks. They always do. Our scouts just need to find them.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I've seen him plenty. I haven't been "down" on him, but his size is the limiting factor. He's not my first choice at that spot because of it. Heck, even at the U18s against his peer group, he's had wall plays where his check simply manhandles the puck out of the zone. He's got amazing ability to finish in a variety of ways, he finds opens to get his shot away. And he's still really, really small.

Yeah, and he's not Patrick Kane small (a bit undersized), or even Johnny Gaudreau small (very undersized). He's 5'7". There were 3 players who played in the NHL at that height or shorter last year. Yes, one of them was Debrincat, but it's hard to ignore the fact that most guys that size fail.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, and he's not Patrick Kane small (a bit undersized), or even Johnny Gaudreau small (very undersized). He's 5'7". There were 3 players who played in the NHL at that height or shorter last year. Yes, one of them was Debrincat, but it's hard to ignore the fact that most guys that size fail.

How many guys that size or smaller even get drafted?

Last year, there were only 5 draft picks 5'7" or shorter. And they were one pick in each of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th rounds.

2017 had only 3 picks 5'7" or shorter with Yamamoto going 22OV and then one in the 6th round and one in the 7th round.

2016 had only 3 picks 5'7" or shorter with DeBrincat in the 2nd round and then one in the 5th round and one in the 6th round.

And of the 45 players that scored 30+ goals this season, six were 5'9" or shorter.

Caufield getting to the point where he is a top 10 prospect in the draft at his size is a huge outlier. Him then turning into a big time NHLer is probably a smaller leap than with more physically developed players that "look the part".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad