Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I get it. I also think true power forwards take a while to develop. If they've got the right tools, slow progression is the way to go.

That said, Kakko would be great....

I honestly can’t think of the last time a PF first rounder actually became a top line forward.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Brandon Saad

He wasn’t even a first rounder although he did have some hype that year. There was also the likes of McNeil, Noesen and Biggs before him who were flat out busts.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
True but he was billed as the prototypical power forward. I agree with your philosophy. High in the draft you select elite skill or skating ability. Players whose asset is size and style can be found later.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
It honestly feels like Vancouver will finally have their moment this coming draft and win the lottery. The Draft will be in Vancouver, they have been punished by the past couple draft lottery results and they drafted Jack's brother this past year. One year after the Twins retire a new brother tandem is united to lead the team forward.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Matthew? He was like 6-0 and put up over a 100 points. He’s a skilled forward with an edge, not a power forward.

He's 6-2, and played with Marner and Dvorak. He wasn't just a skilled forward with an edge. He played a power game in London.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He's 6-2, and played with Marner and Dvorak. He wasn't just a skilled forward with an edge. He played a power game in London.

I know who he played with, I still had season tickets when he hobbled around the ice in Niagara in the playoffs on one leg. He’s always been supremely talented. He’s got high end vision and skill. I never once had doubts about Tkachuks skill level and hockey sense, if anything with him it was his foot speed.

Regardless, back to the point. There’s not a lot of successful power forwards drafted in the first round, and the ones that are successful has elite skill aspects to their games.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
How deep is this draft in relation to the non lotto picks? I am hoping for a 2015 draft either this year or next where we get to use multiple first rounders in one draft.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Too early to say, but I'd predict deeper than 2018.

Just from the early lists I've read, I love that 2019 seem to be deep in what the Sabres need: forwards with speed.

This year will be interesting. We will be rooting for the Sharks and Blues to make the playoffs so that the picks head the Sabres way in 2019 and not kick to 2020.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Just from the early lists I've read, I love that 2019 seem to be deep in what the Sabres need: forwards with speed.

This year will be interesting. We will be rooting for the Sharks and Blues to make the playoffs so that the picks head the Sabres way in 2019 and not kick to 2020.

In the top 10-15 for sure.

Jack Hughes
Alex Newhook
Alex Turcotte
Peyton Krebs
Dylan Cozens
Nikita Alexandrov
Valentin Nussbaumer
Blake Murray

all have really great speed

even Kaapo Kakko, while not having blazing speed, is a pretty good skater.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In the top 10-15 for sure.

Jack Hughes
Alex Newhook
Alex Turcotte
Peyton Krebs
Dylan Cozens
Nikita Alexandrov
Valentin Nussbaumer
Blake Murray

all have really great speed

even Kaapo Kakko, while not having blazing speed, is a pretty good skater.

Kakko isn't a burner, but he's got elite puck possession skills.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I know who he played with, I still had season tickets when he hobbled around the ice in Niagara in the playoffs on one leg. He’s always been supremely talented. He’s got high end vision and skill. I never once had doubts about Tkachuks skill level and hockey sense, if anything with him it was his foot speed.

Regardless, back to the point. There’s not a lot of successful power forwards drafted in the first round, and the ones that are successful has elite skill aspects to their games.

Idk man. I think the list of power forwards in the first round that haven't worked out isn't that deep. Just looking at the top 15, because that's where Cozens would go, since 2005:

Bobby Ryan
Jordan Staal
Okposo
JVR
Evander Kane
Brayden Schenn
Landeskog
Couturier

Perlini looks to be working out as well. And Tkachuk.

I admit, it's about a 50/50 rate. For everyone above, there's a Kassian, Crouse, or Vatanen. I'd take a swing at a kid like Cozens. Good hockey IQ.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
We will be rooting for the Sharks and Blues to make the playoffs so that the picks head the Sabres way in 2019 and not kick to 2020.

We will?

I don't know. Given the choice, I think I'd rather have a potentially higher pick in 2020 (that's in the lottery) over a lower-first-round pick in 2019.

Reactions: Tatanka

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We will?

I don't know. Given the choice, I think I'd rather have a potentially higher pick in 2020 (that's in the lottery) over a lower-first-round pick in 2019.

I’d rather have the pick sooner.

The further out the picks are, the longer they will take to get here and the more years we will burn through Dahlin’s ELC and Eichel’s extension before the reserves get here.

Reactions: 1972

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
We will?

I’d rather the both just come in 2019 and be done with it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
We will?

Exactly, and the chances of those picks being higher then top 5 are so slim to begin with...they both have really strong cores with number 1 Dmen in their primes...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I’d rather have the pick sooner.

The further out the picks are, the longer they will take to get here and the more years we will burn through Dahlin’s ELC and Eichel’s extension before the reserves get here.
You're never not going to need 1st round talent coming into your organization

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
You're never not going to need 1st round talent coming into your organization

That's my view too.

So a player picked in 2020 may not be ready to play until 2022-24. So what? We'll need good young players coming in at that time too.

I'd rather get the best possible pipeline of young talent coming into the organization, and not worry as much about getting prospects to try to fit a certain timeframe.

If given the choice between say the #26 overall pick in 2019, or a potential top 15 pick that's in the lottery in 2020, I'd take the latter.

Reactions: Kyndig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->