Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm pretty sure Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte will make up the top-4.

Then things really start to open up. Two more teams pick before we do, and I could see any of Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, or Krebs being picked.

There should be three of those players available for us.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
@Oilers in NS

I thought it'd be better to reply in this thread than the Bouchard one to keep it on topic in that one.

For the most part, if the Oilers hold their position, Kirby Dach (Saskatoon Blades), Dylan Cozens (Lethbridge Hurricanes) and Peyton Krebs (Kootenay Ice) seem to have been the most discussed for top ranked guys in the WHL. I'm not a fan of taking Cozens at 7 though. If Dach is still there, I'd snag him.

Thx
Dachshund looked good last night. Dandy goal he got

Reactions: McFuhryous

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I really think we'll draft a WHL kid. Aside from the obvious reasons of how we've historically preferred players from the CHL, I think our new plan of "overripening" our prospects will play a part too. In the WHL, we sign the player, send them back, and can then play them in the AHL the next year. Basically we have full control over where they play and can let them develop at the speed and place of our choice. We don't have that option with NCAA commits, and are even at risk of them playing out the 4 years at college and becoming a UFA.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I really think we'll draft a WHL kid. Aside from the obvious reasons of how we've historically preferred players from the CHL, I think our new plan of "overripening" our prospects will play a part too. In the WHL, we sign the player, send them back, and can then play them in the AHL the next year. Basically we have full control over where they play and can let them develop at the speed and place of our choice. We don't have that option with NCAA commits, and are even at risk of them playing out the 4 years at college and becoming a UFA.
The player has to be an September 15th to December 31st Birthday if you want to send them to the AHL in there draft+2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty sure Hughes, Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte will make up the top-4.

Then things really start to open up. Two more teams pick before we do, and I could see any of Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach, Zegras, or Krebs being picked.

There should be three of those players available for us.

I disagree, I think it's far from a guarantee that Turcotte goes top 4. I don't even think it's a guarantee that Byram goes top 4. Podkolzin, Dach or Cozens could easily go in the top 4 or even top 3. Maybe even Krebs if he has a killer U-18.

I see this draft as a lot like last year in the sense that 1-2 is pretty much written in stone then 3-12 or so is a crapshoot. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Byram goes top 5 but other than that, you can throw about 6-7 names in a hat and guess where they fall in the top 10 and come up with a plausible scenario 10 different times.

Also, there is always a team or two that reaches for a prospect slated to go outside the top 10. Guys like Caufield and Kaliyev could make a jump up and knock one of the bigger names down, probably a few other guys too, maybe one of the Swedish D Broberg or Soderstrom.
The Oilers are in a good spot even if they drop down a few spots in the lottery. Finishing 7th as opposed to 9th or 10th was critical.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
How does Kakko compare to Pulju?

Who was/is a better player at 18? Is Kakko likely to bust?

At this point if we win the lottery I'm hoping we take Hughes just out of fear that Kakko becomes the next Puljujarvi. Is there any truth to that sentiment or should I have a reason to believe otherwise?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

At this point if we win the lottery I'm hoping we take Hughes just out of fear that Kakko becomes the next Puljujarvi. Is there any truth to that sentiment or should I have a reason to believe otherwise?
Kakko is head and shoulders above Jesse at the same age. The way he processes the game combined with his slick hands and edges allow him to flat out dominate in the Ligaa against men.

When you're the Oilers no prospect is a "safe" prospect, but Kakko is a pretty good bet.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Kakko is nothing like Jesse. He's pretty much as surefire as they come. Just a complete player.

The scouting report on his EP profile is spot-on:
A quick-thinking winger, Kakko never seems to be in a rush. He reads the game exceptionally well and finds himself a step ahead while the play is still developing. He is confident with the puck and capable of handling it in small spaces. With decent size for a player of his age, Kakko protects the puck well and uses his high hockey IQ to make smart offensive plays. He plays a mature game and is already strong enough to compete with men in the Finnish Liiga. Kakko excels offensively and beats opponents with smarts and skill both on and off the puck

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Kakko is head and shoulders above Jesse at the same age. The way he processes the game combined with his slick hands and edges allow him to flat out dominate in the Ligaa against men.

When you're the Oilers no prospect is a "safe" prospect, but Kakko is a pretty good bet.

Kakko is nothing like Jesse. He's pretty much as surefire as they come. Just a complete player.

The scouting report on his EP profile is spot-on:

Good to know that he processes the game better. That's Pulju's (obvious) biggest shortcoming.

Still worried about our ability to develop a Euro player though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You dont have to sell me on cozens. I was replying to the other poster who said their were better options then cozens with the 7OA.

If we get him at 7, hes probably the BPA. I don't see the argument for Zegras or Krebs ahead of him.

Depends on what you're looking for, I'd say.

Cozens is a good complement to McDavid/Drai, but if you're looking for someone to drive the second line while those two stick together on the first, Zegras/Krebs are better options, IMO.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

switch Kakko to Podkolzin and you may have a case.
Kakko is the real deal.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Kakko's IQ is through the roof

one of the smartest players in the draft. Not close man

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have zero idea how this draft is going to go, although I think that 9/10 picks from Bob Mackenzies rankings at the end of the U18s will go in the top 10, 1 will fall out.

Oilers will draft a player(unless 1/2) that will be 2-4 years from being an NHL player and we will not know how good or bad the pick was until then.
Some of you will be mad at the pick, others super happy.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is probably a weird comparison.. but Kakko reminds me of a 6'2 Gaudreau.

He's a big water bug. Quick hands, quick feet.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I have zero idea how this draft is going to go, although I think that 9/10 picks from Bob Mackenzies rankings at the end of the U18s will go in the top 10, 1 will fall out.

Oilers will draft a player(unless 1/2) that will be 2-4 years from being an NHL player and we will not know how good or bad the pick was until then.
Some of you will be mad at the pick, others super happy.

632e4f53-c96d-4d5b-bedd-40b4eb89b57b.jpg

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I disagree, I think it's far from a guarantee that Turcotte goes top 4. I don't even think it's a guarantee that Byram goes top 4. Podkolzin, Dach or Cozens could easily go in the top 4 or even top 3. Maybe even Krebs if he has a killer U-18.

I see this draft as a lot like last year in the sense that 1-2 is pretty much written in stone then 3-12 or so is a crapshoot. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Byram goes top 5 but other than that, you can throw about 6-7 names in a hat and guess where they fall in the top 10 and come up with a plausible scenario 10 different times.

Also, there is always a team or two that reaches for a prospect slated to go outside the top 10. Guys like Caufield and Kaliyev could make a jump up and knock one of the bigger names down, probably a few other guys too, maybe one of the Swedish D Broberg or Soderstrom.
The Oilers are in a good spot even if they drop down a few spots in the lottery. Finishing 7th as opposed to 9th or 10th was critical.

100% agreed. Fans get too focused on the consensus rankings and rarely do players go in that order.

Last year if you told people that the Oilers would get to choose from Dobson, Bouchard and Wahlstrom, you wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Teams reach for players all the time.

Reactions: Faelko

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I think NCAA players, unless outstanding, will become the new “Russia Factor”. I mean if you have a pick in the mid first with 2 guys with equal skill sets, your probably not taking the NCAA kid who has the opportunity to walk in a few years if he wants. I think they need to fix that loophole, I also think if they don’t we will see more and more of it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think NCAA players, unless outstanding, will become the new “Russia Factor”. I mean if you have a pick in the mid first with 2 guys with equal skill sets, your probably not taking the NCAA kid who has the opportunity to walk in a few years if he wants. I think they need to fix that loophole, I also think if they don’t we will see more and more of it.
It could be.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
100% agreed. Fans get too focused on the consensus rankings and rarely do players go in that order.

Last year if you told people that the Oilers would get to choose from Dobson, Bouchard and Wahlstrom, you wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Teams reach for players all the time.
The top 10 is almost always pretty solid. Outside of a year like last year the top 10 stays in the top 10 except for a single reach. The order changes up a bit but 9/10 of top 10 consensus picks stay there.
At least basing it off MacKenzies list.
Last year was crazy and against the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->