Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm pretty excited about adding three good players and I trust Botts and the scouts to make the right picks. I could even see one of them moving down a bit for a 1st plus a 2nd if there is a team that REALLY wants a guy and the Sabres are confident the player they want will be there a few picks later.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Drafting a goalie in the first round is gross when it’s so common for guys like Konecny and Debrusk to play so soon after being drafted. No longer do you need to wait for a player to develop into a man, it’s about if they can keep up with the pace.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Turcotte is way too low. I think he’s a top 5 pick.

I’d take him in a heartbeat if he falls that low. Actually exactly what I want out of the draft.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'm pretty excited about adding three good players and I trust Botts and the scouts to make the right picks. I could even see one of them moving down a bit for a 1st plus a 2nd if there is a team that REALLY wants a guy and the Sabres are confident the player they want will be there a few picks later.
In the NFL draft, I trade down easily unless I need a QB. You should only trade up for a QB.

In the NHL, I believe it to be the opposite. Do anything you can to move up to the top of the draft. Now, moving back a couple of spots in the middle of the first round might be fine, but ultimately the higher up you go the better your chances are of finding a stud player become.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I want that Russian kid, or really any skilled centre who can score and takes the puck to the net. I’d love to get a Rasmus Asplund with top 2 line offensive skill. Like Barrett Hayton type talent.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I want that Russian kid, or really any skilled centre who can score and takes the puck to the net. I’d love to get a Rasmus Asplund with top 2 line offensive skill. Like Barrett Hayton type talent.

Based on the tape of last season, Alex Turcotte and Peyton Krebs fit that description.

Edit: Adding Blake Murray to this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabrebuild

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Looking at Botterill’s history, I see them going after more American (or college bound at least) and Swede’s in the draft. Maybe a Canadian in junior if he’s clearly the best available.

He wants guys that they can slow cook, or st least better control the development of more easily. The guys who come from CHL do come with a bit more difficulty in development, in my opinion, in the fact that they can’t go to the AHL until they’re 20, and when they are done with 2 years in juniors, there’s no place to go besides the AHL. It’s a catch-22. You often have guys who aren’t ready for the NHL but are too good for the AHL early on in their development. But then you have later picks who aren’t ready for the AHL but are no longer eligible for juniors. The NCAA or European development is a much more steady development, and allows the team more options regarding said players development.

Reactions: zuikan

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Looking at Botterill’s history, I see them going after more American (or college bound at least) and Swede’s in the draft. Maybe a Canadian in junior if he’s clearly the best available.

He wants guys that they can slow cook, or st least better control the development of more easily. The guys who come from CHL do come with a bit more difficulty in development, in my opinion, in the fact that they can’t go to the AHL until they’re 20, and when they are done with 2 years in juniors, there’s no place to go besides the AHL. It’s a catch-22. You often have guys who aren’t ready for the NHL but are too good for the AHL early on in their development. But then you have later picks who aren’t ready for the AHL but are no longer eligible for juniors. The NCAA or European development is a much more steady development, and allows the team more options regarding said players development.

I think the logic of extended development time will continue to apply post-2nd round, however, I doubt that’ll come into play for any top 50 prospects.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think the logic of extended development time will continue to apply post-2nd round, however, I doubt that’ll come into play for any top 50 prospects.

I think with Botts it will apply as soon as a certain tier of players is cleared in the 1st round. The Marcus Davidsson and Mattias Samuelson picks followed the "extended development time" logic as high 2nd rounders.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think with Botts it will apply as soon as a certain tier of players is cleared in the 1st round. The Marcus Davidsson and Mattias Samuelson picks followed the "extended development time" logic as high 2nd rounders.

In that area, I tend to believe that the philosophy wasn’t in play, but that’s just how it broke. Jordan Kyrou’s are almost always still available in that area.

I believe it was Sexton who said that the philosophy is applied to later rounds, and that earlier ones have simply broke in a “non-chl” pattern by happenstance.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
In that area, I tend to believe that the philosophy wasn’t in play, but that’s just how it broke. Jordan Kyrou’s are almost always still available in that area.

I believe it was Sexton who said that the philosophy is applied to later rounds, and that earlier ones have simply broke in a “non-chl” pattern by happenstance.

Agreed.... which is why drafting Davidsson over Heponiemi, Robertson, and Anderson-Dolan is hard to believe under any other philosophy....

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Agreed.... which is why drafting Davidsson over Heponiemi, Robertson, and Anderson-Dolan is hard to believe under any other philosophy....
I don’t think they considered Robertson at all. I’ll bet they had Anderson-Dolan pretty high, and that the slow cooking philosophy came into play. Heponiemi is harder to gauge. He clearly had 1st round skill, but he’s slight and plays like it. They may have simply not liked his game.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Anttoni Honka is generating a lot of buzz and rave reviews this week. Multiple folks calling him the best dman in the draft.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Foote is gonna be right in our wheel house and with 3 firsts a big guy with a pedigree is the perfect gamble.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Right now, there’s a pack of like 12 guys I wouldn’t mind having, and most are centers or d! Exciting times

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
2 high upside forwards and top d man that falls to our spot with our 3 1sts. Goalie with our 2nd round pick in the 30-40 range, we will most likely get a top 2 goalie prospect at that spot. This draft is going to have a huge impact on the next 10 years. We need to get supplemental talent to add to our core in a few years that are on cheap ELC contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad