Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Has anybody ever mentioned the fact that a 2020 top 5 or top 10 pick might fit right into the lineup, while this years top 20 pick might take years to develop before stepping into the league?
The reason i'm saying this is bcs i'm sort of convinced that the Blues go through the same kind of trajectory of rise and decline like the Blackhawks do right now.
You're assuming there's going to be a 2020-21 season.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
the government?
Sort of.

220px-Gary_Bettman_in_2016_%28cropped%29.jpg

Actually, I guess the current CBA doesn't expire until after the 21-22 season. I thought it was after 19-20.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Three more valuable pieces to the scouting puzzle have been completed with the World Junior A Challenge, the World Junior Championship and the USHL Top Prospects Game in the rearview mirror.

All three events had their own storylines. At the WJAC a second tier of US-born players took gold in Bonneyville, AB. We saw draft eligibles Jack Hughes, Vasili Podkolzin and gold medal winner Kaapo Kakko take centre stage in Vancouver/Victoria at the WJC. And in the USHL Top Prospects Game, Robert Mastrosimone earned the East’s top player award as he continues to battle for first round attention.

In a time span stretching from the world juniors through the Sherwin Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Red Deer on Jan. 23, NHL teams will meet with their scouts to come up with their mid-term lists and set a plan for whom to key-in on in the second half of the season.

While there are a few players who have shifted inside the top 15 this month, there have also been some who have broken into the first round. Here’s a look at our January rankings.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The more I track this draft class, the more I get on board with trading the Sabres and Sharks 1st rounders this year. After the top 15 or 16 everybody looks like a 2nd round prospect.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The more I track this draft class, the more I get on board with trading the Sabres and Sharks 1st rounders this year. After the top 15 or 16 everybody looks like a 2nd round prospect.
Sadly, we are trending to a top 10 pick. Sabres pick isn’t going anywhere short of a long term 2C. Lottery protection still a must.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Nothing like potentially having three firsts in a draft that seems like it isn't going to be all that deep. Keep them. Clearly the wisest thing.
I actually really doubt that Botts sits pat. This is just a hunch, based a few data points, but I think Matt Duchene is an extended Sabre by the trade deadline.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I actually really doubt that Botts sits pat. This is just a hunch, based a few data points, but I think Matt Duchene is an extended Sabre by the trade deadline.
I have been a big proponent of getting Duchene but we can't wait till trading deadline will be too late

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At this point, keeping the picks is where we should be. In addition trading secondary assets to accrue more picks for the draft. A 2nd would have been definitely helpful, though I cannot fault Botterill on Skinner :P

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
At this point, keeping the picks is where we should be. In addition trading secondary assets to accrue more picks for the draft. A 2nd would have been definitely helpful, though I cannot fault Botterill on Skinner :P
Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but this is a brutal draft. I cannot remember a draft this bad in the back half of round 1 ever. It’s actually very reminiscent of 2012, except the talent up front in the top 15 or so is far superior.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The only draftees I see live are OHL and I can tell you this year's crop is thin. Just a cyclical thing that happens in junior hockey.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Watching Connor McMichael and London lately. I think he's gone 11-15 in the draft. If the Sabres fall out of the playoffs, or St. Louis' pick is in that range, he should be in strong consideration for the pick.

He's fast, superb instincts in all zones. Great passer. Decent shooter but gets goals close in a lot. Not super physical but won't shy from contact. Wins a lot of face-offs for London. Good defensively, but I think Dale Hunter is green lighting McMichael. McMichael looks like he's playing wing in the defensive zone, with Dunkley playing low. McMichael is capable of playing well in the defensive zone and back checks hard. He's not huge and needs to add weight and strength.

My projection is a good 2-way center with who scores.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Haven't really followed this draft at all. How does it compare to other drafts? I was told in summer that this draft is extremely deep.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Watching Connor McMichael and London lately. I think he's gone 11-15 in the draft. If the Sabres fall out of the playoffs, or St. Louis' pick is in that range, he should be in strong consideration for the pick.

He's fast, superb instincts in all zones. Great passer. Decent shooter but gets goals close in a lot. Not super physical but won't shy from contact. Wins a lot of face-offs for London. Good defensively, but I think Dale Hunter is green lighting McMichael. McMichael looks like he's playing wing in the defensive zone, with Dunkley playing low. McMichael is capable of playing well in the defensive zone and back checks hard. He's not huge and needs to add weight and strength.

My projection is a good 2-way center with who scores.

Was at the game in Kitchener yesterday, he’s a quality prospect. I don’t necessarily think he’s great but I see a lot of Logan Couture tendencies in his game. He’s easily a first rounder and a typical 10-20 type guy.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I feel that this draft is actually quite strong.
Why? I have yet to be convinced there is the real top talent available--Eichel, Dahlin, Matthews, Laine Tkachuk etc.. Hughes and Kakko -nice players-do not seem to me to be in that sphere. The next level crop just does not stand out--oh there will be surprises and some gems-but who can say who they will be or how many? I hope I am wrong because the Sabres need to hit on a couple players who are not third pairing D wannabes or bottom 6 F tweeners. They will probably be there but harder to locate in this draft than in some others we have seen.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
So right now, the Blues are 10th from the bottom, and the Sabres 18. SJ is going to be a late 1st. If things continue the way they've been going the past few weeks, we could be looking at drafting something like

SJ - 28th overall
STL - 13th overall
BUF - 6th overall

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->