Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Unless the Blues pick 11th, and Newhook slips, Buffalo won't snif him.

I'm looking at players like Soderstrom, Seider, Vlasic, Beecher, Holmstrom.

Probably correct.
I’d definitely like Seider or Soderstrom. Could see Seider really meshing with Dahlin. Both are very physical, and Seider is a solid skater for such a big man.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’d take just about any Finnish forward ranked in the top 60 and run at this point.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I'm really hoping we somehow get lucky and have a shot at one of Turcotte, Newhouse or Zegras in the 11-16 range(let's go Blues!) but if not I would be very content with one of York, Soderstrom or Seider with our top pick and BPA with the other.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'd take Seider and Beecher and call it a day.
It's funny because I have been musing along those lines after trying to figure who might be available. I do not know if Seider will drop to where we pick but he fits our long term needs at RD with size, snarl and mobility. Beecher seems to have the qualities of a good sized, smooth skating, mobile 2 way C who would fit our needs. Still too early but I am looking forward to WJCs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's funny because I have been musing along those lines after trying to figure who might be available. I do not know if Seider will drop to where we pick but he fits our long term needs at RD with size, snarl and mobility. Beecher seems to have the qualities of a good sized, smooth skating, mobile 2 way C who would fit our needs. Still too early but I am looking forward to WJCs.

Speaking of the WJCs...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-december/

1. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: The next proving ground en route to going first overall is on the big stage at the WJC.
2. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-4, 207 pounds: Is a big piece for his home club playing against men, which might suggest dominance at the WJC, but that’s easier said than done.
3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (MHL), 6-foot-1, 183 pounds: Proved he could hang with the under-20s in an elevated role. Won’t get to Vancouver for the WJC, but he’s off to a great start in Bonneyville at the World Junior A Challenge.
4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 185 pounds: Struggled the first two weeks after the CIBC Canada-Russia series, but has been on a tear since. Will have to adjust to, but should benefit from, a decreased work load with Lethbridge’s recent trade additions.
5. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 195 pounds: Point production has slowed, but he’s dedicated to the craft, and a right shot centre with his size is an extremely coveted asset.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Button's December list is out. Turcotte is way low (31) but I can see scouts dropping him due to being injured. Hoping that he drops right to Buffalo. Center fixed.

Reactions: Dingo44

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
" With our first round pick the Buffalo Sabres are proud to select Taro Tsujimoto III from the Tokyo Katanas of the JHL!".

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I don’t see any way Newhook or turcotte make it past like 12. If they do, trade up immediately.

I see the predictors have Newhook pretty low generally. He’s a guy I’d like to add to the center depth for sure. Would give us three skilled playmaking centers long term

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Interesting. What makes you think that?

I just don’t really see a ton of talent offensively, just kinda seems like a guy whose place in that area because he looks toolsy and has a protectable frame. I don’t think he’s got top 2 line talent, I just think 4C is probably a protectable outcome for him. Like a Schaller/Grant type. Could be wrong.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I just don’t really see a ton of talent offensively, just kinda seems like a guy whose place in that area because he looks toolsy and has a protectable frame. I don’t think he’s got top 2 line talent, I just think 4C is probably a protectable outcome for him. Like a Schaller/Grant type. Could be wrong.

Agree that he’s toolsy. I don’t project him to center. I see more of a Brock Nelson style winger.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I'm still on the Suzuki bandwagon. But I also like Caufield, and Peyton Krebs if he slips.. which I don't think he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->