Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Really hope the blues pick it up. 2020 is looking pretty bad. 2012 level bad, and without the stacked d group.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There's no way it can be 2012 level bad.

Lafrienere is definitely a legit top pick contender, and might even go first in 2019. However, after that, the field is looking like a lot of Cody Hodgsons (that is to say, great skill, so so size, so so speed). Byfield’s really the only other notable right now, but even he has a couple big questions.

It’s early. This time last year, I knew about Hughes, and had only begun to hear about turcotte, Kakko, and Newhook. However, I did know that 2019 had a lot of speed. So far, 2020 is looking stale.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
A lot of the 2020 draft eligible are rookies in the OHL, Mitch Marner probably wasn’t even a first rounder this far out, Patrik Laine was like a potential top 10 pick this far out, it’s way to early yet to evaluate the strength of the 2020 draft.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
FWIW, Pronman has 8 players in '20 that he projects to be top line/pairing so far and he seems to be the harshest critic of the class I've seen.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Lafrienere is definitely a legit top pick contender, and might even go first in 2019. However, after that, the field is looking like a lot of Cody Hodgsons (that is to say, great skill, so so size, so so speed). Byfield’s really the only other notable right now, but even he has a couple big questions.

It’s early. This time last year, I knew about Hughes, and had only begun to hear about turcotte, Kakko, and Newhook. However, I did know that 2019 had a lot of speed. So far, 2020 is looking stale.

Good skaters, legit first rounders, other than Lafrienere and Byfield:
Alexander Holtz, winger from Djurgarden U20. Reminds me of Filip Forsberg.
Anton Lundell, center.winger, HIFK.
Antonio Stranges, winger from London. Skates like Skinner, smaller, but a playmaker.
Noah Gunler, forward, Lulea, J20.
Kasper Simontaival, forward,
Jean-Luc Foudy, C, Windsor.
Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert. Brother of Brenden, better player, just as good of a skater.
Jake Sanderson, D, USNTDP. Son of Geoff. Good skater but not elite speed. High hockey IQ.
Jeremie Poirier, D, Saint John.
Dylan Holloway, forward, AJHL, going to Wisconsin.
Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie. PP QB.
Luke Tuch, forward, OJHL (plays for the Buffalo Jr. Team), headed to BU. Big, skates well. Brother of Alex.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Can someone post a list of the top 5-10 right hand D in this draft class? I want try and watch some of them.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think my favourite player in this draft is always going to be vasili podkolzin, I just see so much him being that next russian star.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Can someone post a list of the top 5-10 right hand D in this draft class? I want try and watch some of them.

Victor Soderstrom
Antonii Honka
Moritz Seider
Lassi Thomson

I don’t have another righty in my top 60 right now. A ton of lefties though, including some real good fits (Kokkonen)

Edit:

I did miss one: Billy Constantinou
Also, I don’t currently have knowledge or ranking on him, but Drew Helleson is on the watchlist

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think my favourite player in this draft is always going to be vasili podkolzin, I just see so much him being that next russian star.

He’s going to be a lot like Kucherov in 3-5 years. There’s only 2 players I’d draft before him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Victor Soderstrom
Antonii Honka
Moritz Seider
Lassi Thomson

I don’t have another righty in my top 60 right now. A ton of lefties though, including some real good fits (Kokkonen)

Edit:

I did miss one: Billy Constantinou
Also, I don’t currently have knowledge or ranking on him, but Drew Helleson is on the watchlist

I don’t really want buffalo to draft a D unless he’s a righty, but this doesn’t look like a very good year for right shot D. I’d maybe just go 3 forwards in the first and try for that right D in next years draft.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don’t really want buffalo to draft a D unless he’s a righty, but this doesn’t look like a very good year for right shot D. I’d maybe just go 3 forwards in the first and try for that right D in next years draft.

Soderstrom is definitely a good target in the 12-16 range. Aside from him though, I agree.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I want skill up front to match up with Toronto and Tampa for years to come.

There’s also an argument to be made for an elite transition defense that feeds the weapons we already have and keeps Toronto pinned.

2C is a giant need right now, but that’ll be too high in this draft for us to get a blue chipper. (Unless St. Louis finishes In the sweet spot) Alternatively, picking a defensive prospect would be right in the spot I expect us to picks

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
There’s also an argument to be made for an elite transition defense that feeds the weapons we already have and keeps Toronto pinned.

2C is a giant need right now, but that’ll be too high in this draft for us to get a blue chipper. (Unless St. Louis finishes In the sweet spot) Alternatively, picking a defensive prospect would be right in the spot I expect us to picks

I think we’re actually in a position where you literally just take the top guy on your board. Fortunately, we don’t have holes that a prospect is going to fix. Casey Mittelstadt is way more likely to be a 2 C then any player we draft this year.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think we’re actually in a position where you literally just take the top guy on your board. Fortunately, we don’t have holes that a prospect is going to fix. Casey Mittelstadt is way more likely to be a 2 C then any player we draft this year.

That we could reasonably draft? Sure. There are better center prospects than Mittelstadt in this draft, though.

I agree with BPA, and by the way I think it’ll fall, I think it’ll be a wall of defense to choose from.

Wave 1:
Hughes Kakko podkolzin Dach cozens turcotte Suzuki Zegras Newhook Krebs byram

Wave 2: (we’ll be in the back half of this):
Lavoie boldy York broberg Soderstrom kaliyev Kokkonen honka

Yes, obviously we won’t know until the process plays out more, but based on current projection, I’m expecting a lot of d choices where we are, and few forward choices.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
What are the stipulations on our 1st round pick from St Louis?
I understand it's top ten protected.
What happens if the pick falls into the top ten? does it move to 2020 with no stipulations? or would the 2020 pick also be top ten protected?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Soderstrom and Seider are definitely worth a 1st.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What are the stipulations on our 1st round pick from St Louis?
I understand it's top ten protected.
What happens if the pick falls into the top ten? does it move to 2020 with no stipulations? or would the 2020 pick also be top ten protected?

2020, no protections, if they keep it

Reactions: Fearnot

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I would love to see us get one of either Soderstrom or Seider. But the guy I really Hope slips is Newhook. Especially coming out of the BCHL I could see that happening, so hopefully it does, and with him going to NCAA, I’d assume Botterill prefers that route of development over the CHL system

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I would love to see us get one of either Soderstrom or Seider. But the guy I really Hope slips is Newhook. Especially coming out of the BCHL I could see that happening, so hopefully it does, and with him going to NCAA, I’d assume Botterill prefers that route of development over the CHL system

Same, but if he scoring like he has, he’s going to lose that cloaking on the national lists fast. The dream is picking him with stl at 11, and grabbing Soderstrom at 17-19.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Unless the Blues pick 11th, and Newhook slips, Buffalo won't snif him.

I'm looking at players like Soderstrom, Seider, Vlasic, Beecher, Holmstrom.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
I want Caufield. I love feisty snipers and we've seen success with Skinner and previously another notoriously shifty and small scorer with Danny.

If San Jose's pick ends up 22-28 I'd love to take a swing at him if he's on the board. Debrincat 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad