Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from 5+ years of picking at the top, it’s that good players are all throughout the first round and having a good scouting department is more important then picking high. I don’t care where we pick, the scouts just need to get it right.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Looks more and more like we’ll have two first round picks in 2019 and two in 2020, as St. Louis just doesn’t seem to be able to get it together.

Does this change anyone’s thinking?

Also, anyone think there’s any chance St. Louis finishes in the top-10 and still allows Buffalo to take that pick? I don’t see it happening.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Looks more and more like we’ll have two first round picks in 2019 and two in 2020, as St. Louis just doesn’t seem to be able to get it together.

Also, anyone think there’s any chance St. Louis finishes in the top-10 and still allows Buffalo to take that pick? I don’t see it happening.
No, if they finsih top10 they ptobably pick. Theres Theres some faller teams as top5 talent like in that range. And then they probably think yhey make the playoffs an year later. Still 2 in 2019 and 2 in 2020 is not bad at all considering what we already have. I think we need to go for a center with one of the picks, the other just go BPA, even if it means picking a goalie, we dont have a particular roster need bar one upper level dynamic center in the pipe.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

It changes from "Let's pick in the 1st 3 times" to "Let's pick in the 1st 2 times each year". I can't say which is better, as 2020's depth isn't clear yet.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It changes from "Let's pick in the 1st 3 times" to "Let's pick in the 1st 2 times each year". I can't say which is better, as 2020's depth isn't clear yet.

My first look is that it’s just as good at the top with Lafreniere and Byfield, maybe Holtz and Guhle. The depth of the first round and overall draft is a bit unclear to lay scouts, as we don’t see all the games.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My first look is that it’s just as good at the top with Lafreniere and Byfield, maybe Holtz and Guhle. The depth of the first round and overall draft is a bit unclear to lay scouts, as we don’t see all the games.

Yeah, top looks great. We won't know depth until late this year / early next. Sadly, 2019's depth is 2015ish, and that'll be hard to beat or tie.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah knowing what this draft looks like as we get closer I hope the Blues can get themselves out of the top 10.

2020 will be fun if they don’t because who knows where the pick will land...but I’ll take the known over the unknown.

Reactions: Gabrielor

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yeah knowing what this draft looks like as we get closer I hope the Blues can get themselves out of the top 10.

2020 will be fun if they don’t because who knows where the pick will land...but I’ll take the known over the unknown.

And honestly that first rounder rarely ends up as high as you hope when it gets deferred. I’d take 15 OA this year and be happy.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Not having any clue how the Blues will do in 2020 is tough. If they figure out the goaltending, they could pick in the 20s. If not, they could pick in the top 5. Or anywhere in between. I think getting the sure pick in the 10-15 range this year is preferable given what we do know about this year's draft class, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Some of it, too, is the extra year of player development. If we get the pick this year it has to be between 11 and not to much higher since I don’t see the Blues getting to the conference finals even if they have a massive turnaround. You’d probably lay odds on 2020 seeing them barely in or barely out of the playoffs. So even if you get the same tier of prospect...there is a full year of development pushed back if we have to wait.

Now look...Eichel doesn’t turn 30 for 8 years and Dahlin is 18. The window is probably going to be open for a while. But that year is still something I’d rather get out of the way sooner than later.

Reactions: Snippit

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Wondering if value is similar in football where a 2020 1st rounder + a small add could get us into the end of the 2019 1st Round a 3rd time? If they like a specific player or someone falls?

I feel like a guy like Caufield would fit well in this system. Can play center, but mostly plays wing. Could see him slipping due to his size.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
if the Blues have 3 prospects so much better than Thompson that people were outraged we took him i can't figure how the Blues will be terrible in 2020.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's a 1000-1 shot but I'm definitely enjoying my vision of the Blues keeping this year's pick, then getting even worse and their 2020 pick turns into a lottery winner for one of the top 3 spots.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's a 1000-1 shot but I'm definitely enjoying my vision of the Blues keeping this year's pick, then getting even worse and their 2020 pick turns into a lottery winner for one of the top 3 spots.

They are not getting better then Nashville, Winnipeg, Minnesota or Colorado anytime soon so you never know...

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Three part question regarding two prospects.

1) If you had the choice, who would you rather take of these RHD;
Soderstrom or Seider.

2) who do you think he organization would prefer?

3) which would potentially pair better with Dahlin?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Been looking into the draft this past few weeks trying to read and watch as much as I can that is readily available so I am not too well versed on this draft but is Victor Soderstrom a good target to possibly move up in the early teens for? Swedish good skating offensive RHD...a top 4 of

Dahlin-Risto
Samuelsson-Soderstrom

Would be nice to think about for a decade. We could then solely target offense for a couple drafts if we had a young top end top 4 in place for 7+ years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
**** moving up just pick where they end up

The good thing is that trading up into the top 15 or higher is almost never a real option.

It's been forever since a team traded back in the top 15 for a package of picks ala the NFL Draft.

If a top 10 pick moves, it is in a deal for an NHLer, like the Cory Schneider to NJ trade.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
The good thing is that trading up into the top 15 or higher is almost never a real option.

It's been forever since a team traded back in the top 15 for a package of picks ala the NFL Draft.

If a top 10 pick moves, it is in a deal for an NHLer, like the Cory Schneider to NJ trade.
I mean if they move from like 17 to 14 by trading up thats fine but straight up packaging multiple assets for a single prospect is silly when you have the opportunity to add 3 1st round grade prospects.

Just a bad use of assets.

Reactions: 1972

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I mean if they move from like 17 to 14 by trading up thats fine but straight up packaging multiple assets for a single prospect is silly when you have the opportunity to add 3 1st round grade prospects.

Just a bad use of assets.

If anything outside of the top 3-4 picks the draft is such a crap shoot that trading down would be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad