Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Turcotte is way too low. I think he’s a top 5 pick.

I’d take him in a heartbeat if he falls that low. Actually exactly what I want out of the draft.
I would be ecstatic to pick him with the 16th overall pick that happens to be our own.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If the Sabres are in lotto winner territory, you hope you come away with Hughes or Kakko. Those two represent the top two tiers alone.
After that, I go Dach at 3. Now, I haven't seen anything from Broberg, Podkolzin was dominant in the Hlinka, but from what I see of Dach, you have the top 6, all situations, center with size and skill that I've always coveted. The only other player that I'm really familiar with that I love in the top 5 of the draft is Ryan Suzuki. He's a GD wizard. He's every bit as smart as his brother, but bigger and quicker.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If the Sabres are in lotto winner territory, you hope you come away with Hughes or Kakko. Those two represent the top two tiers alone.
After that, I go Dach at 3. Now, I haven't seen anything from Broberg, Podkolzin was dominant in the Hlinka, but from what I see of Dach, you have the top 6, all situations, center with size and skill that I've always coveted. The only other player that I'm really familiar with that I love in the top 5 of the draft is Ryan Suzuki. He's a GD wizard. He's every bit as smart as his brother, but bigger and quicker.

(Still early, so creating drops is still in question)

I'd be quite happy with roughly the first 17 guys. This is maybe my favorite draft for us yet. No worry about a C or a D being where we are, just straight up BPA.

Right now, for me:

Jack Hughes11
Kaapo Kakko22
Vasily Podkolzin23
Dylan Cozens34
Kirby Dach35
Alex Newhook36
Alex Turcotte37
Philip Broberg38
Bowen Bryam39
Ryan Suzuki410
Peyton Krebs411
Anttoni Honka412
Raphael Lavoie413
Simon Holmström414
Matthew Robertson415
Matthew Boldy416
Cam York417
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'd LOVE anyone in the top 9. 10-17 still has a bunch of worthy guys too.

Reactions: truthbluth

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
(Still early, so creating drops is still in question)

I'd be quite happy with roughly the first 17 guys. This is maybe my favorite draft for us yet. No worry about a C or a D being where we are, just straight up BPA.

Right now, for me:

Jack Hughes11
Kaapo Kakko22
Vasily Podkolzin23
Dylan Cozens34
Kirby Dach35
Alex Newhook36
Alex Turcotte37
Philip Broberg38
Bowen Bryam39
Ryan Suzuki410
Peyton Krebs411
Anttoni Honka412
Raphael Lavoie413
Simon Holmström414
Matthew Robertson415
Matthew Boldy416
Cam York417
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'd LOVE anyone in the top 9. 10-17 still has a bunch of worthy guys too.

Lavoisier floats too much for me.

Holmstrom is supposed to be a secret.

Boldy would be a great pick.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I know it's early, but there's a chance St Louis doesn't make the playoffs. The Central division is loaded with Dallas, Chicago, Colorado, Nashville and Winnipeg. Already the Blues' fans are complaining about their lack of speed and goaltending. Sabres could have 2 picks in the top 15.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know it's early, but there's a chance St Louis doesn't make the playoffs. The Central division is loaded with Dallas, Chicago, Colorado, Nashville and Winnipeg. Already the Blues' fans are complaining about their lack of speed and goaltending. Sabres could have 2 picks in the top 15.
But didn't we give them protection to where if the pick is anywhere in the top 15 (non playoffs) they keep it, or just top 10? Giving out comprehensive lottery protection just makes that trade even worse.

Reactions: Fearnot

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
But didn't we give them protection to where if the pick is anywhere in the top 15 (non playoffs) they keep it, or just top 10? Giving out comprehensive lottery protection just makes that trade even worse.

Correct. The sweet spot is pick 11. That's where we want them to land.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Correct. The sweet spot is pick 11. That's where we want them to land.
Nobody wants to give up Jack Hughes (except Ottawa) but we should've told them we'll give you top 3 or at worst top 5 protection. Top 10 is ludicrous given how badly they were winning this trade. Also why don't teams insist that if you have to invoke the protection that you have to give up an additional 2nd or 3rd round as a premium for the insurance policy?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm not sure how Kakko ended up 3rd on Bob's list. The clear #2 for me, and there are things about him I may even like more than Hughes.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Who honestly believed the Blues would finish with a top 10 pick? The Blues most surely insisted on it for picking up rors 7.5 mil bonus.

Now if STL finishes with the 10th pick is it automatically deferred then? Or can they choose to give up a top 10 pick. Because a dream scenario would be the Blues finishing with the 10th pick then in 2020 they miss the playoffs again but this time their first wins a top 3 lotto spot. Shades of the Isles and the #5 pick in 2014. It would have been amazing to see them keep the pick then continue to Suck giving us another McDavid lotto ticket.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Recommended watch:

Those skills are going to translate to North America very nicely. I can't help but see shades of Matthews. He might overtake the #1 spot.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Kakko would be a huge boon for this team especially for our right wing corps.

Not a very good year it seems for OHL players in the 1st round but I have my eye on Arthur Kaliyev on the Hamilton Bulldogs, he has size and speed and he goes to the net, we don't have many wingers who like to get into the dirty areas or drive the net. I can see him becoming a Rick Nash type power forward with a little work on his skating granted I haven't see too much of him, just clips.

For center I guess the obvious is Ryan Suzuki, I caught one game last year when the Barrie Colts came to Niagara and he was defiantly a player you noticed but he didn't play a big part on that team. He plays tonight against the Ice Dogs so I will DVR the game on my local channel while I watch the Sabres.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Three picks in the first round. Hoping we finish last, but lose the lottery, then take Kakko 2nd overall. I'd then trade STL 1st for a disgruntled but talented winger. Then trade the SJ 1st for a goalie about to break out. Seems like a formula for long term success.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think it could be stated enough how much better Botterill has us set up for the future from this time last year. It's taken time, but he is undoing alot of Tim Murrays mess. Adding three first round talents to this roster in 2019-2021 is going to be huge. These kids are ready to go early no days, no more waiting 4-5 years for a guy that can help you win.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think it could be stated enough how much better Botterill has us set up for the future from this time last year. It's taken time, but he is undoing alot of Tim Murrays mess. Adding three first round talents to this roster in 2019-2021 is going to be huge. These kids are ready to go early no days, no more waiting 4-5 years for a guy that can help you win.

I too think getting Dahlin has turned this franchise around.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
We need a Pastarnak/Rantanen winger from this draft. That's our #1 organizational need IMO. Well that and another defensemen.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Three picks in the first round. Hoping we finish last, but lose the lottery, then take Kakko 2nd overall. I'd then trade STL 1st for a disgruntled but talented winger. Then trade the SJ 1st for a goalie about to break out. Seems like a formula for long term success.
Kakko would be sweet but please, no more last place finishes. That would be completely unacceptable.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Why one earth would you hope we finish last, and lose the lottery too? I don’t get it

Trade a first for a disgruntled winger? Umm no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad