Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thinking through next season’s draft. Going to lay off a top 3 lottery pick. Illustrative example of what could be coming:

1 (Sabres): Dylan Cozens, RW, power forward with great hands

1 (Blues): Alex Vlasic, LD, tall lanky defender, good skater, loads of potential. Going to BU.

1 (Sharks): Blake Murray, C, power center who projects as a two way center or good power winger. Good wheels.

2: Michael Vukojevic, LD, good size and good wheels, do it all type with good hockey IQ.

That’d fill the pipeline, somewhat like the Bruins but with D depth like the Ducks.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Center depth looks better than average in the top 15.

Wingers, decent, balanced.

defense, bad, not many standouts right now.

Goaltending: if that spencer knight kid is the real deal, then that should be one of our extra firsts.

Hughes is amazing. I feel similarly to him as I felt about MacKinnon going into 2013.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Has it been determined one way or the other if conditional picks are tradeable or not?

I don't know. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade them though. I'd rather Botterill stands pat and drafts. 3 1sts and a 2nd is going to really boost the pipeline.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My dream, outside of getting Hughes, is to win a lottery pick and draft Kakko. Laine-light with more power going to the net. Not the same shot, but a power forward who can wall off defenders and possess the puck.
Would fit with the Jets rebuild model that Yerdon said Botterill is trying to follow. Be a largely incompetent franchise for years and then move up 5 spots in the lottery.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Would fit with the Jets rebuild model that Yerdon said Botterill is trying to follow. Be a largely incompetent franchise for years and then move up 5 spots in the lottery.

I assess the Sabres to be well ahead of the Jets. They never had the depth the Sabres have at center. I think the Sabres are a few promotions and impact draftee away. Plus a goalie. Ullmark could be the guy.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
I assess the Sabres to be well ahead of the Jets. They never had the depth the Sabres have at center. I think the Sabres are a few promotions and impact draftee away. Plus a goalie. Ullmark could be the guy.

We are not ahead of the Jets in anything other than Potential centre depth and having Dahlin. They are absolutely loaded on the wings, have a #1 G, and they do have Schiefele And Little so it's not like Center is barren.

We MAY have more potential, but we aren't ahead by any means. They have 4 guys on the wings who could hit 70 points and drive possession -- how many wingers do we have that can come close to that?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
We are not ahead of the Jets in anything other than Potential centre depth and having Dahlin. They are absolutely loaded on the wings, have a #1 G, and they do have Schiefele And Little so it's not like Center is barren.

We MAY have more potential, but we aren't ahead by any means. They have 4 guys on the wings who could hit 70 points and drive possession -- how many wingers do we have that do that?

Not currently ahead. Them two years ago before drafting Laine.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't know. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade them though. I'd rather Botterill stands pat and drafts. 3 1sts and a 2nd is going to really boost the pipeline.
I would be totally fine with that outcome, 2019 draft is looking pretty great.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Our 1st: Kaapo Kakko RW
If we end up with the 2nd/3rd pick

St Louis 1st: Matthew Robertston D
I expect he'll fly up draft boards over the next 11 months a la Dobson

San Jose 1st: Spencer Knight G
Best goalie to come out of CT since Justin's little brother...

Our 2nd: Leevi Aaltonen LW
Given our investment in D this last draft, I'd like to see some "swing for the fences" type of picks.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Given our investment in D this last draft, I'd like to see some "swing for the fences" type of picks.

I caught some Oil King games, and Robertson is going to be a good one. I think he'll be gone before the Sabres pick again, especially with the small number of top defenders this draft.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

A goalie in the 1st? You think he's that good?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Like it. If our pick is that high, I also like Newhook alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->