Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Lightning Round 3

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Tampa is one of the more talented teams, and to beat 'one of the best' you need one of the best D men, that's Adam Pelech. Adam Pelech was out, changed this game. TBL has holes, not as many as in past years. Enjoy this, I've been rooting for TBL (of course, outside this series); you need a Cup appearance.

'Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it...'

Nice parting reference though I never got the belated love being thrown at Journey.

I was one of many fans that made a prolonged pit stop when Journey opened up for the Stones at Rich Stadium in 1981.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
These guys provided with sone great moments during this run. I love beating Philly! That was tremendous. Played the waiting game last night hoping for a goal in transition and almost got one. Clutterbuck about an inch away from the reward he deserved. He was so good during these playoffs. Cooper and his bunch of babies may have folded in a game 7. I wish Dallas luck.

Really couldn't say enough good things about Pelech, Clutterbuck, Nelson, Pageau and Varlamov. They were terrific. Was hoping for more in this series from Bailey and Pulock. Oh well.

Greiss was a good Islander. We had so many inadequate goalies over the years. He played well for us, even when we didn't play defense in the pre-Trotz era. Andy Greene was a good addition for us. Not sure what his future looks like.

Excited to see Dobson and hopefully Wahlstrom in our line-up next year. Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, Toews, Mayfield, Varlamov and Sorokin. Be interesting to see who 6 and 7 are.

Thanks for the posts. This board is and has been a great place to spend a little bit of time.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
The Trotz style of play the NYI play is not conducive over the long run, it is brutally taxing on the players which is why IMO they were fading before the break and about to drop out of the playoffs entirely.

The NYI need to upgrade their forwards massively if they are to be championship team because they cannot maintain that kind of playing style for a full season, and manage to keep everyone healthy and still have the energy to be able to get through a two month grueling playoff run.

Trotz adapted his system for the Caps to win, and will have to do the same with the Isles.

One look at Clutterbuck after one of his numerous collisions, like the one in game 5, and you can see the punishment and wear/tear on him. IMO the pandemic shutdown is the reason they were able to get so far in the playoffs as it allowed them months to recharge and get healthy.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
The Trotz style of play the NYI play is not conducive over the long run, it is brutally taxing on the players which is why IMO they were fading before the break and about to drop out of the playoffs entirely.

The NYI need to upgrade their forwards massively if they are to be championship team because they cannot maintain that kind of playing style for a full season, and manage to keep everyone healthy and still have the energy to be able to get through a two month grueling playoff run.

Trotz adapted his system for the Caps to win, and will have to do the same with the Isles.

One look at Clutterbuck after one of his numerous collisions, like the one in game 5, and you can see the punishment and wear/tear on him. IMO the pandemic shutdown is the reason they were able to get so far in the playoffs as it allowed them months to recharge and get healthy.
Depth is our strength. When injuries start to infiltrate that depth things go south pretty quickly. Zeeker getting hurt is a massive loss for us because of the depth he provides and how many roles he plays. It's no coincidence that the end of season woes and playoff elimination came after his injury.

Plus, if we had a PP that was even something close to functional this series is completely different.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
3. If Mat Barzal wants to be an elite player he's going to have to figure out that you can't keep trying to stick handle through a PK unit that is lining up 3 across on the blue line. Flip it in, dump it in, something. If it doesn't work the first time stop trying the same thing 2 more times.

Barzal’s greater sin, IMO, is the constant buttonhook at the halfboards. He comes flying in crazy speed then hammers the breaks and lets the backcheckers catch up. Wish he’d drive more to the net more or blast a shot and let F2 crash the net for the rebound.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzal’s greater sin, IMO, is the constant buttonhook at the halfboards. He comes flying in crazy speed then hammers the breaks and lets the backcheckers catch up. Wish he’d drive more to the net more or blast a shot and let F2 crash the net for the rebound.
He wasn't doing that so much in the earlier series against Philly and Washington, then against Tampa he started lapsing into old bad habits like you described. I guess Barzy is still a work in progress.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
part of me is still pretty ticked off that the NHL schedules game 1 of the next series TWO DAYS later. it left them about 40 hours until puck drop of game 1, and a cross-continental flight was needed. then they come out and get blasted 8-2 which would never happen if they were given at least 3 days before the next series started

Reactions: scottywiper

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
part of me is still pretty ticked off that the NHL schedules game 1 of the next series TWO DAYS later. it left them about 40 hours until puck drop of game 1, and a cross-continental flight was needed. then they come out and get blasted 8-2 which would never happen if they were given at least 3 days before the next series started

Yes, frustrating. But we are also at fault for not finishing off the Flyers earlier than we did.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
View media item 8056
Noticed this last night, and found it really quite affecting - dunno if you guys had the same shot in the American feed, so here’s Sportsnet’s handshake line - at 1:54 in the video below, watch Andy Greene, a leader and team captain in his own right, hanging back with Anders to congratulate each player as he leaves the ice. Greene gets it. And that’s why Lou got him.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Well the Leafs did have to face the offensive juggernaut that is the Columbus Blue Jackets, while the Islanders only had to face the Panthers (who despite their issues have some elite talent upfront), the Capitals (with one of the greatest goal scorers in history), the Flyers and the Lightning. If you listen to a Leafs fan, it sounds like the Lightning are lucky they can skate backwards.

The Panthers were the 6th best offense in the NHL.
Capitals were tied for the 3rd best.
Flyers were the 7th best.
Lightning were the best.

We played 4 of the top 7 offenses in the entire NHL this playoffs, and we beat the 5th best team in an exhibition game before the qualifiers.

The high flying Blue Jackets were tied for 27th and the great and powerful Maple Leafs were the 2nd best offense in the league. Such a shame.

I just don't get the Ladd for a Parise deal. We would be getting a 36 year old winger with 5 years remaining on a contract with a $7.5M cap hit. We're taking on more salary and two more years. Does Parise really fill that much of a need? I'd rather swing for the fences on a Laine and give up more assets than do some expensive patchwork with Parise. Or am I missing something?

Exactly. I want no part of it. In 2 years we’re probably in the same situation that we’re in now with Ladd, only we won’t have an upcoming expansion draft to help bail us out.

At this point I’m fine throwing away a couple of high end futures to get rid of Ladd, if that’s what it takes. Look for a top line winger elsewhere.

Depending on the details it's the possibility of turning dead money into useful money. Right now Ladd is costing us $5.5M ($4.5M when buried) to contribute zero. Trading him for Parise turns that into a 45-50 point player who excels at the style Trotz wants to play. Let's say we sign Barzal, Toews, and Pulock but we're now at the cap. One of the ways to add that sort of upgrade might be to add that bad Parise contract and kick the can down the road a little bit. You could use the expansion draft to help you out by forcing Seattle to take a bad contract or something that isn't valuable.

A deal centering around that type of swap is completely dependent upon everything else that is happening. There's no doubt that Parise would be an upgrade for the Islanders over Ladd.

Reactions: danteipp

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Lightning were the best.

We played 4 of the top 7 offenses in the entire NHL this playoffs, and we beat the 5th best team in an exhibition game before the qualifiers.

The high flying Blue Jackets were tied for 27th and the great and powerful Maple Leafs were the 2nd best offense in the league. Such a shame.

Depending on the details it's the possibility of turning dead money into useful money. Right now Ladd is costing us $5.5M ($4.5M when buried) to contribute zero. Trading him for Parise turns that into a 45-50 point player who excels at the style Trotz wants to play. Let's say we sign Barzal, Toews, and Pulock but we're now at the cap. One of the ways to add that sort of upgrade might be to add that bad Parise contract and kick the can down the road a little bit. You could use the expansion draft to help you out by forcing Seattle to take a bad contract or something that isn't valuable.

A deal centering around that type of swap is completely dependent upon everything else that is happening. There's no doubt that Parise would be an upgrade for the Islanders over Ladd.

And Parise scores power play goals. 22 over the last two years and 12 this year.

He’s not washed up garbage, unfortunately his contract is...

Reactions: xECK29x

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Honestly did not expect the team to make the playoff and certainly not this far in the playoff so Kudo to this team that has a lot of characters and shows that winning is not all about talent.

Now they will have some tough choices to make going into next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah with his speed he should be driving the net almost every chance he gets. Not that they're on the same level as players, but look at a guy like McDavid. So much of his offense is created by simply using his speed to go around a defender and drive toward the net for either a chance for himself or a pass over for an easy tap in for his linemate.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hard to cry about it, really, when they had two chances to end it early.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Hard to cry about it, really, when they had two chances to end it early.

There is going to come a point where we are happy they got that experience in a game 7. Also, anyone notice how this year once the Isles fell down 2-0 in a series they did not just fall apart? Improvement folks. This team is learning how to win.

Reactions: JKP and buud

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Lightning were the best.

Thanks for the explanation. And while it makes sense I still see no reason to take on another bad contract (with $2M more cap hit) and kick the can down the road. And I have loved Parise for years!

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
There is going to come a point where we are happy they got that experience in a game 7. Also, anyone notice how this year once the Isles fell down 2-0 in a series they did not just fall apart? Improvement folks. This team is learning how to win.
Oh I'm there already! Are you kidding me? This playoffs was something we all haven't experienced since 1993. Just going to ESPN.com and seeing a banner for the Isles/Lightning game was a bit like seeing the rare spotted owl. Just being talked about at this time of year gave me a shot of adrenaline! I'm over the moon right now and the best part about it? We have great owners,, competent management, a likable team and a great young nucleus. This is what it feels like to have pride in your local franchise and I'm going to enjoy it:):)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for the explanation. And while it makes sense I still see no reason to take on another bad contract (with $2M more cap hit) and kick the can down the road. And I have loved Parise for years!

I think it'll be an interesting off-season and Parise shouldn't be among the top options. Lots of teams are going to be making moves so maybe there's another way to get rid of Ladd. That said, I think Guerin wants to move out Minnesota's old guard. Koivu isn't being brought back, Staal was just traded, could Parise be next? He has a NMC so he'll dictate where he wants to go. It's possible him having that clause could benefit Lamoriello if a deal is to be made.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

LaF16

Jun 28, 2004
Not only am I extremely proud of what this team was able to achieve in these playoffs, I am absolutely ecstatic that all these core guys were able to gain the experience they did as it can only bode well for the future.

And when I see what Dobson was able to do being thrown straight into the fire after no action in these playoffs and knowing that Sorokin is here and was soaking in all of this, I am absolutely psyched about the possibilities.

Now this incredible coaching staff can take a little break, but Lou's work is only just really beginning.
- How does he keep those key RFAs?
- Can he keep any of the UFAs (yes, I know Greiss is moving on), because all of them gave reason to feel they belong?
- Who does he move and if he does move someone, will it be in time to add a pick or two for the draft in three weeks?

I mean, heck, with such a short off-season, no exact knowledge on when the next season starts (or where, really), a stagnant cap, thoughts of offer sheets flowing through the air, and uncertainty about if the affiliates and whatnot will even be playing, there's a ton on every GM's plate.

It's going to be a whirlwind!

I'm just really happy knowing we don't have to wait 4-5 months to see Islander hockey again.

We've got just enough time to breathe!

LaF16

Jun 28, 2004
Not only am I extremely proud of what this team was able to achieve in these playoffs, I am absolutely ecstatic that all these core guys were able to gain the experience they did as it can only bode well for the future. Chapin, I always enjoy your posts and look forward to the re-shaping and more to the point, re-tooling our team

And when I see what Dobson was able to do being thrown straight into the fire after no action in these playoffs and knowing that Sorokin is here and was soaking in all of this, I am absolutely psyched about the possibilities.

Now this incredible coaching staff can take a little break, but Lou's work is only just really beginning.
- How does he keep those key RFAs?
- Can he keep any of the UFAs (yes, I know Greiss is moving on), because all of them gave reason to feel they belong?
- Who does he move and if he does move someone, will it be in time to add a pick or two for the draft in three weeks?

I mean, heck, with such a short off-season, no exact knowledge on when the next season starts (or where, really), a stagnant cap, thoughts of offer sheets flowing through the air, and uncertainty about if the affiliates and whatnot will even be playing, there's a ton on every GM's plate.

It's going to be a whirlwind!

I'm just really happy knowing we don't have to wait 4-5 months to see Islander hockey again.

We've got just enough time to breathe!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->