Confirmed with Link: The 2019-2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion: Islanders vs Lightning Round 3

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Congrats, Isles fans. Obviously not the outcome you wanted, but the fact the Isles were a very tough out practically this entire playoffs should bode well for you going forward.

Cut some of the dead weight (somehow get rid of Ladd, bolster Pageau's third line) somehow and add a sniper or two and the Isles will be even tougher.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I just don't get the Ladd for a Parise deal. We would be getting a 36 year old winger with 5 years remaining on a contract with a $7.5M cap hit. We're taking on more salary and two more years. Does Parise really fill that much of a need? I'd rather swing for the fences on a Laine and give up more assets than do some expensive patchwork with Parise. Or am I missing something?

Reactions: Big L

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I just don't get the Ladd for a Parise deal. We would be getting a 36 year old winger with 5 years remaining on a contract with a $7.5M cap hit. We're taking on more salary and two more years. Does Parise really fill that much of a need? I'd rather swing for the fences on a Laine and give up more assets than do some expensive patchwork with Parise. Or am I missing something?
We can't add any salary at all. Any deal would involve us giving up more salary than we take back

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Tampa is one of the more talented teams, and to beat 'one of the best' you need one of the best D men, that's Adam Pelech. Adam Pelech was out, changed this game. TBL has holes, not as many as in past years. Enjoy this, I've been rooting for TBL (of course, outside this series); you need a Cup appearance.

'Anyway you want it, that's the way you need it...'

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
brockkkkk not again!!! oh man if u told me that i could have brock on a breakaway all by himself in ot if he scores game 7 jf he dont series over i would take that every single time. brocks my fav islander but man we couldve forced a game 7. that hurts and i really feel bad for him because im sure he will have nightmares about it for a long time.

twas an excellent run, im sure a lot further than anyone thought. this run was huge to gain the experience of what it takes to win this deep in the playoffs. invaluable experience. cant wait for next season. lgi

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not only am I extremely proud of what this team was able to achieve in these playoffs, I am absolutely ecstatic that all these core guys were able to gain the experience they did as it can only bode well for the future.

And when I see what Dobson was able to do being thrown straight into the fire after no action in these playoffs and knowing that Sorokin is here and was soaking in all of this, I am absolutely psyched about the possibilities.

Now this incredible coaching staff can take a little break, but Lou's work is only just really beginning.
- How does he keep those key RFAs?
- Can he keep any of the UFAs (yes, I know Greiss is moving on), because all of them gave reason to feel they belong?
- Who does he move and if he does move someone, will it be in time to add a pick or two for the draft in three weeks?

I mean, heck, with such a short off-season, no exact knowledge on when the next season starts (or where, really), a stagnant cap, thoughts of offer sheets flowing through the air, and uncertainty about if the affiliates and whatnot will even be playing, there's a ton on every GM's plate.

It's going to be a whirlwind!

I'm just really happy knowing we don't have to wait 4-5 months to see Islander hockey again.

We've got just enough time to breathe!

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

I agree, I would much rather look at obtaining Phil Kessel if Phoenix is dumping high dollar contracts.

Reactions: The Real JT

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not only am I extremely proud of what this team was able to achieve in these playoffs, I am absolutely ecstatic that all these core guys were able to gain the experience they did as it can only bode well for the future.

And when I see what Dobson was able to do being thrown straight into the fire after no action in these playoffs and knowing that Sorokin is here and was soaking in all of this, I am absolutely psyched about the possibilities.

Now this incredible coaching staff can take a little break, but Lou's work is only just really beginning.
- How does he keep those key RFAs?
- Can he keep any of the UFAs (yes, I know Greiss is moving on), because all of them gave reason to feel they belong?
- Who does he move and if he does move someone, will it be in time to add a pick or two for the draft in three weeks?

I mean, heck, with such a short off-season, no exact knowledge on when the next season starts (or where, really), a stagnant cap, thoughts of offer sheets flowing through the air, and uncertainty about if the affiliates and whatnot will even be playing, there's a ton on every GM's plate.

It's going to be a whirlwind!

I'm just really happy knowing we don't have to wait 4-5 months to see Islander hockey again.

We've got just enough time to breathe!

I agree, as I've stated, Lou is in this to take the next step; I suspect he's channeled that w/ this run. I surmise, he wants more. He's been active in the bubble, not ping pong or kicking footballs.

He has work, he will try to create space.

Varly's performance for almost two weeks will surely make an impression on Ilya.

And with that, Varly was a difference maker. He's changed my view on him, some.

Good tandem.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Exactly. I want no part of it. In 2 years we’re probably in the same situation that we’re in now with Ladd, only we won’t have an upcoming expansion draft to help bail us out.

At this point I’m fine throwing away a couple of high end futures to get rid of Ladd, if that’s what it takes. Look for a top line winger elsewhere.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Great playoff run for the Isles this year!! Having watched the team since 1976 I feel confident that with an addition of another goal scorer (Wahlstrom?) this team can compete for a Stanley Cup and win one in the not too distant future!! The Islanders board is the best on HF!!

Reactions: Duanesutter12

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Parise for Ladd and a 7th rounder?
I would rather give Ladd the choice of riding the AHL buses for the remaining 3 yrs or accepting LTIR. No way do I want 5 yrs of Parise at a $7.5m caphit.
Not only do the isles have to extend Barzal/Pulock/Toews this off season, they have to give raises to Pelech/Beau after next season.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
They played well and tried to stage a comeback after getting thrown around by a much better team initially.

I was glad to be in the ECF and have nothing bad to say about the team or their efforts.

However, we need to address the PP (we play better 5 vs 5 hockey) and we need a gritty player (Tom Wilson). Too many of our guys were getting hurt by players that were a little ungentlemanly out there.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You can't pick up Parise as is.

Even if Minnesota were ready to pay 90% of his contract (which they can't - they can retain no more than 50%), we'd still be taking on the cap hit.

That is the singlemost detrimental point about Parise and it is only enhanced considerably by the stagnant cap all GMs are facing.

And people here even think we'd have to add any sort of futures...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree. I thought Parise was a move that would have helped us make the playoffs had the season not paused. We needed someone who can score-Parise still can. But with his contract I don't see the need to revisit that trade this off-season. We can't be that desperate to move Ladd out that we're willing to take on a 36 year old who is signed until he's 42 at $7.5M/yr. God help us if he were to get hurt.

Let Parise be someone else's headache.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

This is what makes this Isles team so special, I get the feeling every guy on this team cares about the team and the fans. You don't feel this with other organizations.

I was shocked to read these tweets this morning. Word never leaked out that Leo's wife was pregnant. What a sacrifice he and his family had to make so that Leo could stay in the bubble and compete.

T-E-A-M.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So our never ending season has come to a close. It took 370 days to complete. What an odyssey. Couldn't be more proud of the way the boys competed in the playoffs. They can hold their heads up high knowing they did their very best.

Just a few random thoughts:

1. Brock Nelson's two breakaways in this series will always have me wondering what might have been if he'd scored.

2. Nick Leddy was our best defenseman last night. I wish we got that kind of game from him more often.

3. If Mat Barzal wants to be an elite player he's going to have to figure out that you can't keep trying to stick handle through a PK unit that is lining up 3 across on the blue line. Flip it in, dump it in, something. If it doesn't work the first time stop trying the same thing 2 more times.

4. Semyon Varlamov gave us exactly what Lou tried to trade him for 2 years ago and eventually signed him for last season. Every goalie has a bad game in the playoffs once in a while. Varly shook them off. Overall he was magnificent in the playoffs.

5. I think had Derick Brassard given us his playoff performance in the regular season he might have been worth signing to another 1 year deal for next year. That was good enough from a bottom 3 winger. I can't trust that he can though. Gotta let him walk.

6. If we've seen the last of Thomas Greiss, Matt Martin, Josh Bailey, Cal Clutterbuck, Thomas Hickey in Islanders uniforms, we thank you for the way you carried yourselves.

7. Incremental improvement is all you ever could have asked for from this organization. We're getting that, we're getting a new arena in 2021. I believe our future is bright thanks to Scott Malkin, Jon Ledecky, Lou Lamoriello, Barry Trotz and his staff. Hopefully the stench of 1990-2018 has washed away from this franchise and the black cloud that has shrouded us is gone forever.

8. I can't wait for next season. So excited about what our core of Barzal, Nelson, Lee, Sorokin, Beauvillier, Pulock, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Bellows, can do for us.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
i hats to bring this up again but im still pissed at the timing of game 1!!!! i mean this was the ecf for crying out loud!!!! i still cant believe they couldnt let the islanders get an actual rest day before game 1.

i think despite game 1 being played when it was, we more than held our own and for stretches we were the better team even with all tbl firepower. we were all shell shocked after game1 as we looked outclassed simply because the entire team had no legs.
yes the two teams have totally different games but as i said the islanders were the better team in 3 out of the 6 games.

i am sooo soooo bummed that i have no more islanders hockey left to look forward to. thats the most painful thing in all of this.

can we PLEASEEEEEE address our powerplay... pleaseeee !! it is sooooooo embarrasing!!!!!

im still bummed about brocks breakaway, again i feel really bad for him knowing thats going to be on his mind until most likely he steps on the ice again for the season opener.
that not one that will escape his mind anytime soon. should i really even feel bad? he makes millions lol but still i do feel bad for him. i keep having flashbacks to the
play and if im having them im sureee he is as well. soooo unlucky.

although we were heavy underdogs in the series, this still hurts soooooo bad! feeling sooo down no game 7.

oh well heres to next year hoping the pp drastically improves and we can pick up a sniper somewhere along the way.

ps fu tavares!!!! hope u enjoyed watching ur former team make a run as much as we all did

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad