The 2019-2020 Off season thread

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I feel like our defense is going to be a huge problem this season.

If the Knights are in the playoff race come the trade deadline, hopefully Mcphee looks for some help on our blueline.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

I love Hague, probably my favorite prospect floating around out there right now. I see such huge potential in that kid and the potential for him to turn into a Parayko/Pronger/Chara big-bodied defenseman beast that pop up just a few times in a generation. Hope he makes it this season as I think he'll be a cornerstone of Vegas for years and years.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The interview with Foley was somewhat disconcerting for me. I'm one of the people who think we have mortgaged a lot of our future already in attempting to go for it and his assertion that we can fit in a player at the deadline and next offseason really has me worried about what else we might give up.

Realistically, we CAN possibly give up another defenseman, as we have Schmidt, Theodore and McNabb in a top 4 secured because they are our best defensemen or on a really good deal. We have Hague, Whitecloud, Schuldt who could be in a top six after next season, but I doubt all three would and we would still have Coghlan and Korczak, possibly Demin or Bischoff in the seasons after that.

So we COULD trade Whitecloud or Schuldt during this season at the deadline in an attempt to get a veteran top 4 RD and be good after the trade even if it were a rental, but we would need to sign someone who could play that top 4 RD for a season or two after that rental.

Our abundance of rookie defensemen actually makes it hard for us to get them all the experience they need (at the same time) with responsible help, and we are trying to contend so I could see us trading one of them for a more veteran defenseman.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Getting back to the Haula trade for a moment, with Jake Gardiner signed in Carolina, you'd have to wonder if one of their dmen they might have been asking about is now expendable...

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Getting back to the Haula trade for a moment, with Jake Gardiner signed in Carolina, you'd have to wonder if one of their dmen they might have been asking about is now expendable...
The one that is available is probably the one that wouldn't fit under the cap here in Vegas.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The one that is available is probably the one that wouldn't fit under the cap here in Vegas.

I think we are almost guaranteed to get a rental top 4 RD at the deadline, probably not from the Hurricanes you're right, or else we trade Smith for someone better.

It is something I think we will need to address before the team is capable of a playoff run. I don't like the idea of all top 4 of our defense being left handed (as well as 5 of 6 defense.)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets fan coming in peace, but I have to say Cody Glass has earned a spot on this team. Would put him on the first line, but he needs to get a little more comfortable.

Pacioretty-Stastny-Stone
Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault
Pirri-Glass-Tuch
Nosek-Eakin-Reaves
Carrier

Reactions: Vegan Knight

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Jets fan coming in peace, but I have to say Cody Glass has earned a spot on this team. Would put him on the first line, but he needs to get a little more comfortable.

Pacioretty-Stastny-Stone
Pirri-Glass-Tuch
Nosek-Eakin-Reaves
Carrier

I agree he's earned a spot on the team, but I think he is withheld until there is a Top 6 injury to cover.

Zykov is presenting a compelling case to be 3rd line, and I don't think Eakin's speed will mesh well with a heavy 4th alongside Carrier and Reaves. Nosek seems to be getting bypassed by younger prospects, and he hasn't made much of a case for himself this pre-season. Roy has size, which you can't teach, and physicality that will lend well to that fourth line.

Line 1A
Line 1B
Zykov-Eakin-Tuch
Carrier-Roy-Reaves
Nosek
Pirri

This lineup allows Zykov, Roy, Nosek, and Pirri to interchange. Glass will gain more from top line plus powerplay minutes with the Wolves than he would from limited minutes with the team.

Defensively, the above roster only allows for 7, meaning 1 vacancy if we can't find a sucker to take Holden from us. Coghlan and Hague offer differing skillsets, and since Coghlan's is more similar to Miller's, I'd guess he'll be first up.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Pacioretty-Stastny-Stone
Pirri-Glass-Tuch
Nosek-Eakin-Reaves
Carrier

Putting him on the team definitely allows for three solid scoring lines, and you could even make sure there's a good defensive forward on every line. It also could, like you have, bump Eakin down to the fourth line making a top fourth line also.

Mike The Knight

Oct 30, 2018
Not trying to derail this topic but does anyone have insight on when the 3rd/alternate jerseys drop outside of what was posted in the Athletic or other new sources weeks ago? I am looking to pickup a new sweater for the opener, hoping they drop prior.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not trying to derail this topic but does anyone have insight on when the 3rd/alternate jerseys drop outside of what was posted in the Athletic or other new sources weeks ago? I am looking to pickup a new sweater for the opener, hoping they drop prior.

I heard from a good source the team is trying to have them ready by holiday gift buying season, but not certain. No need to push them out this early because the regular jerseys continue to sell well as it is.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I agree he's earned a spot on the team, but I think he is withheld until there is a Top 6 injury to cover.

Zykov is presenting a compelling case to be 3rd line, and I don't think Eakin's speed will mesh well with a heavy 4th alongside Carrier and Reaves. Nosek seems to be getting bypassed by younger prospects, and he hasn't made much of a case for himself this pre-season. Roy has size, which you can't teach, and physicality that will lend well to that fourth line.

Line 1A
Line 1B
Zykov-Eakin-Tuch
Carrier-Roy-Reaves
Nosek
Pirri

This lineup allows Zykov, Roy, Nosek, and Pirri to interchange. Glass will gain more from top line plus powerplay minutes with the Wolves than he would from limited minutes with the team.

Defensively, the above roster only allows for 7, meaning 1 vacancy if we can't find a sucker to take Holden from us. Coghlan and Hague offer differing skillsets, and since Coghlan's is more similar to Miller's, I'd guess he'll be first up.

They could waive Holden and save some cap and open up another defenseman.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They could waive Holden and save some cap and open up another defenseman.

I don't see any way they want to go with 8 D if its 3 rookies. Last thing you need to do is have rookies watching from the press box on a regular basis. I think 14 forwards is definitely the way to go this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad