The 2019-2020 Off season thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jokiharju just went for (trending towards bustville) Alex Nylander. A Blackhawks fan proposed a Jokiharju-Gusev swap, and that would be the ideal kind of trade for him.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Sabres flipped Joker to us.

Should be about 750k two way deal. Who knows though what was promised to get him to join VGK over the other suitors.

I doubt he takes a two way but if he's asking 950k he might have to start in the AHL, so it's something for him and his agent to consider.

All things being equal, Hague's lower AAV might be the difference between him making it over Schuldt on opening night. Who knows, maybe you can say the same for Coghlan over Whitecloud.

Hopefully they're not that tight against the cap though.

See NHL extraction above. CBA.

I'm not seeing where it says they have to have a 20 man roster in the offseason though.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Jokiharju just went for (trending towards bustville) Alex Nylander. A Blackhawks fan proposed a Jokiharju-Gusev swap, and that would be the ideal kind of trade for him.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Sabres flipped Joker to us.

I doubt he takes a two way but if he's asking 950k he might have to start in the AHL, so it's something for him and his agent to consider.

All things being equal, Hague's lower AAV might be the difference between him making it over Schuldt on opening night. Who knows, maybe you can say the same for Coghlan over Whitecloud.

Hopefully they're not that tight against the cap though.

I'm not seeing where it says they have to have a 20 man roster in the offseason though.

He needs to take the two way and acknowledge he's gotta fight to get that spot. The alternative is he doesn't take it, gets into the waiver pool where he's certain to get picked up by a random team and then see if he can stick on their squad before he might get back to VGK or the waiver pool again. Makes no sense really to take that uncertainty, take the two way deal, go make that roster spot yours and by taking 750k make your salary more attractive than Hague or Whitecloud for the tight cap they are facing. It could be the difference in making the opening roster or not.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He needs to take the two way and acknowledge he's gotta fight to get that spot. The alternative is he doesn't take it, gets into the waiver pool where he's certain to get picked up by a random team and then see if he can stick on their squad before he might get back to VGK or the waiver pool again. Makes no sense really to take that uncertainty, take the two way deal, go make that roster spot yours and by taking 750k make your salary more attractive than Hague or Whitecloud for the tight cap they are facing. It could be the difference in making the opening roster or not.

That's not what 2 way means. A 2 way contract pays one salary if you're in the NHL, and another salary if you're in the AHL. Schuldt would probably want a 1 way guaranteed salary, which is standard for top 23-24yo college free agents.

He's waivers exempt

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There are some rules WRT off season. I've seen a team scramble to get a third goal tender signed.

Most of the time we're looking at the maximums (IOW 50 NHL contracts, 90 on the reserve list) rather than the minimums.

CBA Article 1 defines that a team must have "not less" than 24 players (and three goalies) signed to SPCs at any time (including off season).

There is no NHL roster limit (min/max) during the offseason, those couple dozen guys can be mostly slated for AHL/minors (or even returned to juniors).

The NHL roster max limit goes into effect the day before season open and ends immediately after the trade deadline.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Once the season starts, you cannot have less than 20 players on the NHL roster (defined as 2 goalies and 18 skaters).

For cap, etc.

So, when determining what the NHL roster might be, you have to have at least 20 guys selected.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Once the season starts, you cannot have less than 20 players on the NHL roster (defined as 2 goalies and 18 skaters).

For cap, etc.

So, when determining what the NHL roster might be, you have to have at least 20 guys selected.

Is there a minimum number of contracts to start the season! I thought I read your cap compliance is based on 23 contracts but I could be wrong. Can compliance be measured just on 20 contracts? If so that's a huge difference, cutting off over $2m of required cap space.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Should be about 750k two way deal. Who knows though what was promised to get him to join VGK over the other suitors.

Whitecloud came over in the same situation as Schuldt, though Schuldt was more highly regarded. Whitecloud is being paid $925k so I assume that's about the same that Schuldt will receive. I'm guessing Engelland and the team are waiting to see where they are cap wise and he'll wind up taking a smaller salary in order to stay in Vegas, possibly as low as $750k.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There's a poster on the Pens board (where I'm from [that sounds odd to say]) that thinks there's something major happening between Vegas and Pittsburgh. I don't even see how that can work with the salary cap. Has anyone here heard of similar rumblings?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There's a poster on the Pens board (where I'm from [that sounds odd to say]) that thinks there's something major happening between Vegas and Pittsburgh. I don't even see how that can work with the salary cap. Has anyone here heard of similar rumblings?

Just in my tummy. If this is about Rust it's probably wishful thinking. I keep seeing his name come up in trade proposals.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Shattenkirk is reportedly being bought out tomorrow, and there's speculation that Michael Stone (Mark's brother) could be bought out by Calgary in a few days.

They wouldn't be bad options, and probably wouldn't cost that much (waive/trade Holden to clear another million).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Shattenkirk is reportedly being bought out tomorrow, and there's speculation that Michael Stone (Mark's brother) could be bought out by Calgary in a few days.

They wouldn't be bad options, and probably wouldn't cost that much (waive/trade Holden to clear another million).

I don't know if they want Engelland and Shattenkirk standing in Whitecloud's way of getting experience. He is our hope at RD, we can't have an entire top 4 of left handed defensemen.

I also don't know if they would be willing to bench Engelland for 55 games of the season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't know if they want Engelland and Shattenkirk standing in Whitecloud's way of getting experience. He is our hope at RD, we can't have an entire top 4 of left handed defensemen.

I also don't know if they would be willing to bench Engelland for 55 games of the season.

But you also don't want to be a couple injuries from playing 3 rookies on D

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
But you also don't want to be a couple injuries from playing 3 rookies on D

How many teams are able to not be in that position if two of their top 5 defensemen are injured?

We are in for a penny in for a pound (is that the saying) on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->