Prospect Info: The 2019-2020 International Tournaments Thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seeing how the World Junior Summer Showcase (WJSS) is just around the corner and the participating nations have a certain amount of Sabre stamp and just beyond that is the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup (early U18 draftee tournament), plus the fall showcases that lead on into the U20's and then the U18's at the end of the year... and potentially the World Championships off Next May

So I thought maybe we could have a place to talk a bit about both the Sabre angle of these, as well as national rooting interests and general tournie talk (if desired) as they happen.

Up first is the WJSS, running from July 26th to August 3rd in Plymouth, Michigan ( 2019 World Junior Summer Showcase ). Links to the rosters as they stand right now:

Sweden: 2019 WJSS | Sweden Roster featuring Portillo in goal, Cederqvist on the wing, and early 2020 draft notables Lucas Raymond and Alexander Holtz.

Finland: 2019 WJSS | Finland Roster features early 2020 draft notable Anton Lundell and my late round 2019 pass-over Joonas Oden.

Full US Roster: 2019 WJSS | U.S. Camp Roster broken into two groups

- Team Blue: 2019 WJSS | U.S. Blue Roster features Sabre draftees Mattias Samuelsson, one of the 2 2000-born defensemen from last year's US U20 team as well as Ryan Johnson. It's also stocked with 2019 draftees like Turcotte, Caufield, Beecher, Knight and Brink. Ford and Toporowski are the only 2020 eligibles on Blue at the moment.

- Team White: 2019 WJSS | U.S. White Roster features Linus Weissbach's other Badger teammate K'Andre Miller, as well as some 2019 draftees like Boldy, Kaliyev, and Zegras (and others... click the link, there is only one 2020 eligible guy on White at the moment, netminder Drew DeRidder)

Canada: 2019 WJSS | Canada Roster who true to form have only one 2020 eligible draftee, but that one is the much-anticipated Alexis Lafreniere.

(As a caveat, I know there are a bunch of draftees on all the teams, not meant to offend any particular nationality by leaving them out, just referencing oft-discussed players from a Sabre perspective.)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'll keep beating the drum for this one. Can't make it this year, but if you can swing a trip to Suburban Detroit - GO. It's a blast, and cheap!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lassi Thomson snipes one to take a 5-4 lead in the third for the Finns. He's another Ilves lad, could be getting some of Laaksonen's ToI on the PP this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cajka and Puistola named players of the game today. Fun time, 6-5 final in favor of the Czechs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Highlights from both of today's games. I don't see Portillo in goal and don't know anything for the Swedes yet but as I do, I'll pop it in here. Busy with lab and no cash to pay for the feeds so... yeah. :P

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Missed the first half of the game doing Uber Dad stuff. Looks like Johnson on the LD on this one, but can’t tell for sure:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not Johnson now that I can see the replay on something larger than a postage stamp. That is Samuelsson on the right and Stastney on the 2nd Canada goal.

Samuelsson is on his off-hand wing, Farabee blows the backcheck and is the guy sliding off into the ether off-camera to the right.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Samuelsson and Johnson back together at the start of the third. MS is playing mostly on the right, even as a left.

He just cancels Veleno with an active stick, pops the puck up into the neutral zone and then gets to the Canada net to get a chance off a 2-on-1. Not seeing footspeed issues at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad