The 2019-20 Around the League Thread, Pt. VI - Zamboni Goalie Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
So with the announcement that Adam Silver is suspending the NBA season and with the news that Bettman will be making a statement this evening, who else thinks that the NHL will follow suit and do the same in light of the Coronavirus pandemic?

Interesting times to say the least.

Yeah I just heard that the NHL is going to follow suit tomorrow and suspend the season for GAWD knows how long..........Wow........

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah I just heard that the NHL is going to follow suit tomorrow and suspend the season for GAWD knows how long..........Wow........

At the end of the day it's mostly about the money. Playing in empty stadiums generates zero revenue. The NHL, as in the commissioner and executives running the league works for the owners and they earn more money the more games the teams play in front of a close to sold out crowd. Contracts also do have an end date so unless the NHL plans to cancel the season they have have a timeline to fit everything in.

My guess is that the owners would meet and teams like San Jose and Columbus would play elsewhere rather than play in empty stadiums.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There are no Florida fans to give him backlash.

Move the panthers to Quebec already. Two teams in Florida is way to much.
Florida along with NJ and Arizona are teams that are just so f***ing boring.
Nm.

I'm on drugs.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Florida has a cup though
Tampa did it right with their stadium and owner.
The Panthers are a trash run org that is just there until the next relocation.

Does anyone actually believe that two teams in Florida is somehow going to work? Or that the Panthers after all these years of being shit is going to turn this around?
Teams are allowed to be shit in small markets because the fans or media do not hold them accountable. Arizona is in the same boat. People can call Vancouver a bandwagon market, but the amount of pressure that this org is under from the fans to be competitive is tremendous.

I don't give a f*** about growing the game in Arizona. I honestly don't. I'd rather watch the Canucks play a team with a rabid fanbase than a team that has to rely on Canadian market teams to fill up their stadium because they can't sell tickets.

Reactions: I am toxic

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah I'd love to see the Nordiques come back. With the rabid fans in QC, it'd make those Eastern road swings even more fun. Plus the Battle of Quebec would be epic...

Reactions: I am toxic

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
At the end of the day it's mostly about the money. Playing in empty stadiums generates zero revenue. The NHL, as in the commissioner and executives running the league works for the owners and they earn more money the more games the teams play in front of a close to sold out crowd. Contracts also do have an end date so unless the NHL plans to cancel the season they have have a timeline to fit everything in.

My guess is that the owners would meet and teams like San Jose and Columbus would play elsewhere rather than play in empty stadiums.

Yea I agree however I would lean towards the thinking that all large public gatherings are going to be prohibited ACROSS the US sooner rather than later. At that point what do you do? The 2 options I see are play in empty arenas or cancel the season entirely. Neither are ideal however that is the reality of where we are at. This is simply the reality of the situation.

Reactions: F A N

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yea I agree however I would lean towards the thinking that all large public gatherings are going to be prohibited ACROSS the US sooner rather than later. At that point what do you do? The 2 options I see are play in empty arenas or cancel the season entirely. Neither are ideal however that is the reality of where we are at. This is simply the reality of the situation.
Start breeding genetically superior viral-immune man-droids to play sports for our diversion and recreation. I see this as a viable long term strategy that should bear fruit in around 18 years.

Of course we have to be cautious about the possibility of these man-droids creating airborne antibodies in the event of virus attack that attack everything else, and alter the DNA of normal humanoids causing them to age rapidly and to mitigate this particular doomsday scenario, we'd build super overlord androids to act as man-droid caretakers.

This is the reality of the situation.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Start breeding genetically superior viral-immune man-droids to play sports for our diversion and recreation. I see this as a viable long term strategy that should bear fruit in around 18 years.

Of course we have to be cautious about the possibility of these man-droids creating airborne antibodies in the event of virus attack that attack everything else, and alter the DNA of normal humanoids causing them to age rapidly and to mitigate this particular doomsday scenario, we'd build super overlord androids to act as man-droid caretakers.

This is the reality of the situation.

Uruk Hai's on skates.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
We might have made the playoffs based on regular season likely ended. best case is 3 weeks before next game. Who knw the importance of NYL game?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We might have made the playoffs based on regular season likely ended. best case is 3 weeks before next game. Who knw the importance of NYL game?

I would extremely surprised if another major league sports game is played in the next several months.

Last edited:

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
"Eugene Melnyk, owner of the National Hockey League's Ottawa Senators and the American Hockey League's Belleville Senators, has personally pledged to pay part-time and hourly workers the income they would have otherwise received during the suspension of play due to the coronavirus pandemic and the resulting state of emergency in Ontario."

COVID-19 Information

Over to you Francesco.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Reported on CBC that an unnamed Ottawa Senators player has tested positive for COVID-19.
Igor Eronko tweeted out that reports suggest that Zaitsev is the Sens player to be tested positive with COVID-19. However, he did tweet that he heard Zaitsev had a false positive test so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad