The 2018 Panthers off-season thread- Part II

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
no matter who we slot where, its still not a team capable of winning a playoff series and if by some miracle they do, certainly not getting past the 2nd round. We must get panarin or trade our billion bottom 6'ers for a significant game changing player or its clear barkov and tro are wasting their time here. no excuse not to be going for it this year. there was no excuse last year, but theres less than zero now. so tired of going into seasons knowing the rosters not good enough to do serious damage. i dream of an owner like tampas. what must that feel like knowing uve iced the best possible team?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
no matter who we slot where, its still not a team capable of winning a playoff series and if by some miracle they do, certainly not getting past the 2nd round. We must get panarin or trade our billion bottom 6'ers for a significant game changing player or its clear barkov and tro are wasting their time here. no excuse not to be going for it this year. there was no excuse last year, but theres less than zero now. so tired of going into seasons knowing the rosters not good enough to do serious damage. i dream of an owner like tampas. what must that feel like knowing uve iced the best possible team?

Yeah, it’s so clear that we won’t be able to win a round in the playoffs, and how we are just wasting Barkov and Trochecks time. Give it a rest man. You, along with everyone else, do not know how well or poorly this team will perform, so don’t sit there and spew this crap about how we won’t do this, or we won’t do that. All you like to do is crap on this team every chance you get, and wish we were just like other teams. You don’t like it, then go root for someone else.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I’m so glad we have six forwards in our top six capable of scoring 20-30 goals each, giving us one of the better top 6s in the league. With the talent available to Boughner to fill out the bottom two lines, we are a team capable of making the playoffs, and as you know, anything can happen in the playoffs. I look forward to seeing what this team, the most talented team the Panthers have ever iced, will be able to do this season.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I’m so glad we have six forwards in our top six capable of scoring 20-30 goals each, giving us one of the better top 6s in the league. With the talent available to Boughner to fill out the bottom two lines, we are a team capable of making the playoffs, and as you know, anything can happen in the playoffs. I look forward to seeing what this team, the most talented team the Panthers have ever iced, will be able to do this season.
And we have kids knocking on the door. Not bottom six grinders, but possible top 6 quality talents.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, it’s so clear that we won’t be able to win a round in the playoffs, and how we are just wasting Barkov and Trochecks time. Give it a rest man. You, along with everyone else, do not know how well or poorly this team will perform, so don’t sit there and spew this crap about how we won’t do this, or we won’t do that. All you like to do is crap on this team every chance you get, and wish we were just like other teams. You don’t like it, then go root for someone else.
yea it is pretty clear that this roster is a wild card team. i dont think u could find an nhl analyst in the world that has us finishing even 3rd in the division this year. I actually do think its possible we could finish 3rd over boston (however unlikely) but we would not make it out of the first round against the clearly superior teams we have in the top 4 of the east. its interesting that u say all i do is crap on the team, since all theyve ever done is crap on us in return. it would seem that the scope on my crap gun is properly calibrated and yours is malfunctioning. it would be one thing if all i ever did was bitch and moan while the team went on to be a smashing success. i find it extraordinarily bizarre that anyone could judge me for complaining about the longest active playoff series winless streak in the nhl and the fewest amount of playoff appearances of any team at all over the last 25 years of the panthers existence. i can very easily make the case that the panthers are the worst franchise in nhl history, let alone just bad enough to complain about. and sorry but no, ur solution of rooting for someone else doesnt work as im not a traitor. thats like saying if u dont like the direction your country is going, just move away instead of trying to help push it back in the right direction like an actual patriot. complaining about a never ending shitty product is called normal. its immensely abnormal to accept what we have witnessed the past 25 years. The second i see any glimmer of hope that it has changed, id be the first to be ecstatic.....but i dont. theres just not enough star power on this team to go anywhere. its just what is. the fact u cant see it year after year while ive accurately predicted it and been rightfully pissed about it every single time should give u pause.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
This is funny. You are wasting your talents on this board, go apply for a position on the NHL Network.
too true. but my actual calling is panthers owner and gm. now where to get a billion dollars so i can shut myself up by icing a winner........

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
yea it is pretty clear that this roster is a wild card team. i dont think u could find an nhl analyst in the world that has us finishing even 3rd in the division this year. I actually do think its possible we could finish 3rd over boston (however unlikely) but we would not make it out of the first round against the clearly superior teams we have in the top 4 of the east. its interesting that u say all i do is crap on the team, since all theyve ever done is crap on us in return. it would seem that the scope on my crap gun is properly calibrated and yours is malfunctioning. it would be one thing if all i ever did was ***** and moan while the team went on to be a smashing success. i find it extraordinarily bizarre that anyone could judge me for complaining about the longest active playoff series winless streak in the nhl and the fewest amount of playoff appearances of any team at all over the last 25 years of the panthers existence. i can very easily make the case that the panthers are the worst franchise in nhl history, let alone just bad enough to complain about. and sorry but no, ur solution of rooting for someone else doesnt work as im not a traitor. thats like saying if u dont like the direction your country is going, just move away instead of trying to help push it back in the right direction like an actual patriot. complaining about a never ending ****ty product is called normal. its immensely abnormal to accept what we have witnessed the past 25 years. The second i see any glimmer of hope that it has changed, id be the first to be ecstatic.....but i dont. theres just not enough star power on this team to go anywhere. its just what is. the fact u cant see it year after year while ive accurately predicted it and been rightfully pissed about it every single time should give u pause.

All I see is:

-A bunch of words, because someone obviously doesn’t know what a paragraph is.

-A bunch of whining about the teams history, which has ZERO relevance in a thread about the Panthers 2018 off-season.

-Someone so full of himself because he predicted blah blah blah...whoopdie doo.

First off, don’t give me this crap about how I don’t see anything with this team. I’ve lived through it mister know-it-all. I’ve been a fan since 93. I was 10 rows up from the Lindsay goal. I waited on line from midnight on at Marshall’s to get tickets to the SC Finals, only to be cheated out on them. I was a season ticket holder from 2000-2008, witnessing some of our worst years in our history, hoping that the team would make the playoffs with those yearly hot March runs that they would have, only to fall short. And now, for every game that starts at 7pm, I get up at 2am to watch my team play. So I saw, and see, everything.

I saw/see that you don’t need only “star power” to win in this league. You need a lot of things going for you at the right time, to make the hardest playoff run in sports. It’s never about who is the best team, or who has the most star power, it’s about getting hot at the right time, its about being healthy, and of course, being lucky as well. This team is talented enough to get in, and talented enough to compete with any team once they get in.

This team might not satisfy your “star power” filling, but if you can’t see that this is the most talented team the Panthers will ever ice, then you can’t see s**t. And going by what you say, how you can’t see a glimmer of hope, I question how long you’ve even been a Panther fan, because this team, this roster that is playing in the NHL, and the prospects right around the corner, gives us more hope than any other time in our 25 year history.

There are few teams in the league that can ice a better top six than us. There might be teams with better "star power" in there top six, but from spot one to spot six, few teams can match our offense. And while there are players who we would like to see gone from the bottom six, there is enough talent for Boughner to choose from, to make our bottom six quite formidable. Im sure a lot of fans would love to have on their team the talent that we will be rocking with in the bottom six. We have the chance to have three legit scoring lines, and depending on how Boughner puts them together, each line will have a capable 20+ goal scorer or two. That is what you would call depth.

Are there holes in this team? Absolutely. Would I like to see an addition to our second pairing D? Of course. Am I nervous about our goaltenders health? Yes, it’s the most important piece to our lineup. Our goalies health will be the reason why we make or miss the playoffs, unless we get hit with serious injuries upfront (knock on wood).

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
All I see is:

-A bunch of words, because someone obviously doesn’t know what a paragraph is.

nonsense complaint. not worth addressing. dont deflect from hockey.

-A bunch of whining about the teams history, which has ZERO relevance in a thread about the Panthers 2018 off-season.

it has 100% relevance when you complain that someone bitches about the team every year and every year they come out and suck. not to mention that I feel this year will be more of the same which makes it even more relevant. i wouldnt mind a bad season here or there. i do mind 22 in a row though. crazy, i know.

-Someone so full of himself because he predicted blah blah blah...whoopdie doo.
um, no. just someone aware of himself and amazed that you arent aware of the situation were in when its been slapping u in the face for a quarter century.

First off, don’t give me this crap about how I don’t see anything with this team. I’ve lived through it mister know-it-all. I’ve been a fan since 93. I was 10 rows up from the Lindsay goal. I waited on line from midnight on at Marshall’s to get tickets to the SC Finals, only to be cheated out on them. I was a season ticket holder from 2000-2008, witnessing some of our worst years in our history, hoping that the team would make the playoffs with those yearly hot March runs that they would have, only to fall short. And now, for every game that starts at 7pm, I get up at 2am to watch my team play. So I saw, and see, everything.
And? the same applies to me. fan since the beginning and moved abroad and had to wake up at 2:30 am to see every game. i can assure u i was the only panther fan in israel. do i need special props for that? no. does it have anything to do with owners continuing to not spend and management being completely incompetent into perpetuity? zero.

This team is talented enough to get in, and talented enough to compete with any team once they get in.
No, it isnt. just factually a worse roster than tampa and toronto by a mile. boston too but that could change. caps and pens have us beat too.

This team might not satisfy your “star power” filling, but if you can’t see that this is the most talented team the Panthers will ever ice, then you can’t see s**t. And going by what you say, how you can’t see a glimmer of hope, I question how long you’ve even been a Panther fan, because this team, this roster that is playing in the NHL, and the prospects right around the corner, gives us more hope than any other time in our 25 year history.
i dont see how u can say its the most talented team theyll ever ice. good lord i hope thats not true. id like to believe one day we'll ice the best team in the league. or do ur aspirations end at probable 7th seed team? and the fact its the best roster weve ever iced thus far (debatable - 15-16) should be incredibly depressing to you. it is to me.

There are few teams in the league that can ice a better top six than us. There might be teams with better "star power" in there top six, but from spot one to spot six, few teams can match our offense. And while there are players who we would like to see gone from the bottom six, there is enough talent for Boughner to choose from, to make our bottom six quite formidable. Im sure a lot of fans would love to have on their team the talent that we will be rocking with in the bottom six. We have the chance to have three legit scoring lines, and depending on how Boughner puts them together, each line will have a capable 20+ goal scorer or two. That is what you would call depth.
there are plenty of teams that ice a better top 6 than this if you dont simply count the number of humans in the top 6. crosby and malkin are worth our entire top 6 by themselves as you can surround them with fillers and theyll still score more than our top 6. id rather have the firepower of tampa, boston, pittsburgh, washington, toronto, winnipeg, probably san jose, and nashville if u count their defensive firepower. we arent elite at all on offense and one injury would derail the entire thing. panarin would make us top 3-4 and we'd still have shit defense and questionable goalie health. management should give up any prospect we have for a trade and sign with panarin as at least itd give us a fighting chance to make noise if the D and goalies hold up.

Are there holes in this team? Absolutely. Would I like to see an addition to our second pairing D? Of course. Am I nervous about our goaltenders health? Yes, it’s the most important piece to our lineup. Our goalies health will be the reason why we make or miss the playoffs, unless we get hit with serious injuries upfront (knock on wood).
Agreed on the goalies obviously. but the fact u can say that we dont have a top 4D and that we may miss the playoffs just shows the weakness that YOU see in the roster. do u think toronto or tampa are wondering if theyll make the playoffs? theyre wondering if theyll win the cup. that notion isnt even a glimmer in the eye of even the most delusional panther fan. and im not ok with this. you shouldnt be either.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Adding one player, especially when it's a scoring winger (not to mention we already filled that need with Hoffman), does not change the fortune of a team. Nor does trading away picks & prospects to acquire said winger that's about to get paid, when young players on ELCs and bridge deals have proven to be a path to success during the cap era.

If you're gonna moan about something, complain about things that are relevant. Such as Kiselevich being unproven and Lu potentially playing his last season if he gets seriously hurt again. Offense is the last thing of our worries and it becomes mostly irrelevant once the playoffs roll around anyway (as long as you aren't purely relying on turtle defence). Caps are the perfect example of why the best team on paper isn't guaranteed to win the cup, anything can happen in the playoffs.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
it has 100% relevance when you complain that someone *****es about the team every year and every year they come out and suck. not to mention that I feel this year will be more of the same which makes it even more relevant. i wouldnt mind a bad season here or there. i do mind 22 in a row though. crazy, i know.

Anything prior to this upcoming season has nothing to do with a thread regarding the 2018 offseason. You want to complain about previous stuff, then go start a thread about the teams history.

um, no. just someone aware of himself and amazed that you arent aware of the situation were in when its been slapping u in the face for a quarter century.

We are all well aware of what has happened since the teams inception, and we were not always confident going in to a season. You would know that if you were here long enough, and wouldnt make ridiculous assumptions.

No, it isnt. just factually a worse roster than tampa and toronto by a mile. boston too but that could change. caps and pens have us beat too.

That is your opinion. It doesnt make you wrong or right. Aside from Boston, we usually play those teams quite well. There is no team in the league that is head and shoulders better than us. Boston and Toronto arent a mile better than us. While Toronto added Tavares, they lost multiple forwards who contributed to the team offensively, have a worse defense than the Panthers, and will again need Andersen to stand at his head at times because of the amount of offensive chances they give up defensively.

i dont see how u can say its the most talented team theyll ever ice. good lord i hope thats not true. id like to believe one day we'll ice the best team in the league. or do ur aspirations end at probable 7th seed team? and the fact its the best roster weve ever iced thus far (debatable - 15-16) should be incredibly depressing to you. it is to me.

You know exactly what I meant, and are just trying to use a typo as an advantage. This is the best team the Panthers have EVER iced. There, better? 15/16 isnt even debatable. The talent at forward is unmatched with any team we have ever iced. And who cares if we get in as a 7th seed, or 8th seed, or 1st seed? The name of the game is getting in to the playoffs, not winning the 4th seed in the playoff bracket.

there are plenty of teams that ice a better top 6 than this if you dont simply count the number of humans in the top 6. crosby and malkin are worth our entire top 6 by themselves as you can surround them with fillers and theyll still score more than our top 6. id rather have the firepower of tampa, boston, pittsburgh, washington, toronto, winnipeg, probably san jose, and nashville if u count their defensive firepower. we arent elite at all on offense and one injury would derail the entire thing. panarin would make us top 3-4 and we'd still have **** defense and questionable goalie health. management should give up any prospect we have for a trade and sign with panarin as at least itd give us a fighting chance to make noise if the D and goalies hold up.

See, that is your problem, you are so infatuated with having star players. You take away a Malkin or Crosby, and all of a sudden, Pittsburgh struggles to make the playoffs. Take away an Ovechkin, and the Caps offense is not as potent. The same can be said for other teams that you mention, that have your oh so precious star power. Take away a player from our top six, and we still have enough depth to compensate for that. We dont have the star power you demand, but when you have two full lines capable of scoring 20-30 goals, as well as more goal scoring depth in the bottom six, then yeah, our offense is pretty good. And that is with a poor showing on the PP last season. An improved PP, with the help of Hoffman, should get us closer to where we want to be, which is among the leagues best.

Agreed on the goalies obviously. but the fact u can say that we dont have a top 4D and that we may miss the playoffs just shows the weakness that YOU see in the roster. do u think toronto or tampa are wondering if theyll make the playoffs? theyre wondering if theyll win the cup. that notion isnt even a glimmer in the eye of even the most delusional panther fan. and im not ok with this. you shouldnt be either.

Health is the key to most teams in the league. Its not just Panthers related. And no team is satisfied with their roster, and have question marks. Everyone is expecting playoffs from this Panthers team, and from the looks of it, outsiders are thinking the same thing, even on this board.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Anything prior to this upcoming season has nothing to do with a thread regarding the 2018 offseason. You want to complain about previous stuff, then go start a thread about the teams history.

We are all well aware of what has happened since the teams inception, and we were not always confident going in to a season. You would know that if you were here long enough, and wouldnt make ridiculous assumptions.

That is your opinion. It doesnt make you wrong or right. Aside from Boston, we usually play those teams quite well. There is no team in the league that is head and shoulders better than us. Boston and Toronto arent a mile better than us. While Toronto added Tavares, they lost multiple forwards who contributed to the team offensively, have a worse defense than the Panthers, and will again need Andersen to stand at his head at times because of the amount of offensive chances they give up defensively.

You know exactly what I meant, and are just trying to use a typo as an advantage. This is the best team the Panthers have EVER iced. There, better? 15/16 isnt even debatable. The talent at forward is unmatched with any team we have ever iced. And who cares if we get in as a 7th seed, or 8th seed, or 1st seed? The name of the game is getting in to the playoffs, not winning the 4th seed in the playoff bracket.

See, that is your problem, you are so infatuated with having star players. You take away a Malkin or Crosby, and all of a sudden, Pittsburgh struggles to make the playoffs. Take away an Ovechkin, and the Caps offense is not as potent. The same can be said for other teams that you mention, that have your oh so precious star power. Take away a player from our top six, and we still have enough depth to compensate for that. We dont have the star power you demand, but when you have two full lines capable of scoring 20-30 goals, as well as more goal scoring depth in the bottom six, then yeah, our offense is pretty good. And that is with a poor showing on the PP last season. An improved PP, with the help of Hoffman, should get us closer to where we want to be, which is among the leagues best.

Health is the key to most teams in the league. Its not just Panthers related. And no team is satisfied with their roster, and have question marks. Everyone is expecting playoffs from this Panthers team, and from the looks of it, outsiders are thinking the same thing, even on this board.

i could sit here addressing this all again but it literally boils down to u being satisfied with this roster and me not being satisfied. I dont think u believe this roster can win the cup or at least would be amazed if you u somehow do. so that makes you satisfied with more mediocrity and me sick of it. its ok. not everyone has a winners mentality. some people are just satisfied with less.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
i could sit here addressing this all again but it literally boils down to u being satisfied with this roster and me not being satisfied. I dont think u believe this roster can win the cup or at least would be amazed if you u somehow do. so that makes you satisfied with more mediocrity and me sick of it. its ok. not everyone has a winners mentality. some people are just satisfied with less.

Funny that from all that I said, you think I’m satisfied with mediocrity and losing. Okie dokie lol

Reactions: BabyBarkov

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we just had one of our most successful seasons ever and were essentially playoff quality this year. now we added hoffman for nothing, thats a major add! and borgstrom for a full year. not only does hoffman bring a strong goal scoring presence but he gives us a triggerman on the pp finally. we've actually been light years better about getting into the zone on a pp, that was always our biggest crutch for like the past decade. now we have someone to feed and thatll boost the pp big time.

we also shouldnt have the major growing pains that we did in the first half of the year and hopefully hit the ground running (or to some extent at least). matheson is more developed, weegar will play fulltime, kis could be a nice presence too if he gets some games in. and overall most of the existing guys from last year will know the systems and style.

they should make the playoffs. if they dont, regardless of position, itll be a disappointed (pending injuries, but thats self explanatory).

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
we just had one of our most successful seasons ever and were essentially playoff quality this year. now we added hoffman for nothing, thats a major add! and borgstrom for a full year. not only does hoffman bring a strong goal scoring presence but he gives us a triggerman on the pp finally. we've actually been light years better about getting into the zone on a pp, that was always our biggest crutch for like the past decade. now we have someone to feed and thatll boost the pp big time.

we also shouldnt have the major growing pains that we did in the first half of the year and hopefully hit the ground running (or to some extent at least). matheson is more developed, weegar will play fulltime, kis could be a nice presence too if he gets some games in. and overall most of the existing guys from last year will know the systems and style.

they should make the playoffs. if they dont, regardless of position, itll be a disappointed (pending injuries, but thats self explanatory).
Common sense like this is in very short supply.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

We were overall very healthy last season, so that is my biggest concern for this coming season.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018

the young guys progressing is really my only hope for the panthers getting over the hump since hoffman (while a big boost) still doesn't make us a really good team. if the core can get even better and the young guys have breakout years and everyone including LU stays healthy then wed be pretty good. but that's way too much left to chance. I'd prefer panarin.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the young guys progressing is really my only hope for the panthers getting over the hump since hoffman (while a big boost) still doesn't make us a really good team. if the core can get even better and the young guys have breakout years and everyone including LU stays healthy then wed be pretty good. but that's way too much left to chance. I'd prefer panarin.
i think theyre definitely a playoff caliber team. not top 4 or 5 in the conference or anything, but certainly playoff caliber if all goes expected (meaning no one underperforms drastically below where we'd expect, injuries, etc). tb, tor, wsh, pit, clb, bos, and then everything else is open, and i think we can compete with some of those later teams there too

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
i think theyre definitely a playoff caliber team. not top 4 or 5 in the conference or anything, but certainly playoff caliber if all goes expected (meaning no one underperforms drastically below where we'd expect, injuries, etc). tb, tor, wsh, pit, clb, bos, and then everything else is open, and i think we can compete with some of those later teams there too
Columbus doesn't belong in that group of teams imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->