The 2018 Panthers off-season thread- Part II

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
because look at everything else after those 4. (5 if you include Bjugstad and his 49 points)

The next highest point total among the forwards was McGinn's 28. They got absolutely nothing from the bottom 6 and had the worst 4th line in the NHL. They had no balance. It's why I think it would be a mistake to put Hoffman on the 2nd line. Someone needs to be the driver of the third line.
This is the issue.
The fourth line of Haley-MacKenzie-Sceviour has been discussed many times, but look at the third line.

Given that we had McCann as 3C for most of the season, I looked at his most frequent line combinations:
McGinn-McCann-Mamin (10%)
McGinn-McCann-Vrbata (7%)
McGinn-McCann-Bjugstad (6%)
Brickey-McCann-Bjugstad (5%)
Brickey-McCann-Vrbata (5%)
McGinn-McCann-Malgin (4%)
Brickley-McCann-Mamin (4%)
MacKenzie-McCann-Sceviour (4%)
McGinn-McCann-Sceviour (3.4%)
<<<That's roughly 50% of the playing time, with a lot more schuffling in the remaining 50% since the 3rd line was by far the one with most frequent changes.

And we're surprised we got no production from the bottom 6? Yeah....

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The NHL releases a statement about how “they are anxious in exposing other teams into the mix on TV,” but only have us play on national tv once.
It's all about selling advertising. Cats don't generate the audience.........yet. :)

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The only way Hoffman doesn't play top six minutes next year is if Malgin or someone else shows they can play in a top six role and produce. Someone needs to step up, they can't just rotate garbage on the second line if it doesn't work.

And no, McGinn isn't the answer.

Reactions: Montsy14

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The NBC TV schedule is out. They finally seem to be moving away from the constant parade of Hawks, Rangers, Bruins, Pens or Flyers games. Will even show some Canadian teams play this year, Jets, Oilers and Leafs.
The only Panther game on the schedule (quick glance, I may have missed something) is one of the games in Finland vs Winnipeg.
from a quick look, McDavid, Barkov, and Hall show up on NBC a combined 5x next year. It's embarassing.

It's all about selling advertising. Cats don't generate the audience.........yet. :)
The Panthers won't generate an audience even with sustained success because NBC has no idea how to market the game. They have the most exciting player in hockey on NBC 3x next year. He was on it once last year. The casual sports fan (not hockey fan) has no idea who he is because they don't feature him. So when the ratings come in low for the 3 Oilers games on NBC next year, they will say "see, nobody wants to watch the oilers," when the reality is that the failure is theirs alone. They build zero hype for their stars.

You think a season or two of success will get the Panthers a national audience? lmao. NBC would have no idea what to do with it.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The only way Hoffman doesn't play top six minutes next year is if Malgin or someone else shows they can play in a top six role and produce. Someone needs to step up, they can't just rotate garbage on the second line if it doesn't work.

And no, McGinn isn't the answer.
balancing the lines also allows boughner to not overload his minutes on the top 6. Barkov and Trocheck shouldn't be combining for 42+ minutes a game next year

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The NHL releases a statement about how “they are anxious in exposing other teams into the mix on TV,” but only have us play on national tv once.
One cool thing they are going to do this year is "flex" schedule down the stretch. There should be meaningful games broadcast as the playoffs approach, at least they won't try to make us watch teams playing out the string like the Rangers last year. Panthers may be shown a time or two more in March or April.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Did not realize that we were the only team in the league that had 4 players with at least 27 goals and 65 points last season.

Really sucks we didn't make the playoffs with that type of production. It might be tough to replicate that.
Shouldn't have to, the East sucks.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
balancing the lines also allows boughner to not overload his minutes on the top 6. Barkov and Trocheck shouldn't be combining for 42+ minutes a game next year

Sure but the second line was a revolving door too last year. The addition of Hoffman pushes everyone a spot down down and that creates competition on the third line between McGinn, McCann, Malgin, Borg etc. and with those young guys more experienced it shouldn't be such a headache again.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Lu is going back in time to bring us back to the playoffs!! :laugh:

Screenshot_20180820-150643_Facebook.jpg

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not sure where to put this but Pronman has our prospect group ranked as the 9th best in the NHL (we were 22nd last year). That's pretty good given that we only have three first round picks (23, 11, 15) and two second rounders from 2015-2018 which makes the bulk of our system (Crouse and Mascherin are no longer our prospects). While Pronman comments that we have one of the thinnest prospect pools as far as depth is concerned, he's really high on Borgstrom, Tippett and Denisenko and says that our top 3 is nearly the best in the lague.

Secound time this offseason we're ranked as having a top10 prospect pool. Nice :)

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Not sure where to put this but Pronman has our prospect group ranked as the 9th best in the NHL (we were 22nd last year). That's pretty good given that we only have three first round picks (23, 11, 15) and two second rounders from 2015-2018 which makes the bulk of our system (Crouse and Mascherin are no longer our prospects). While Pronman comments that we have one of the thinnest prospect pools as far as depth is concerned, he's really high on Borgstrom, Tippett and Denisenko and says that our top 3 is nearly the best in the lague.

Secound time this offseason we're ranked as having a top10 prospect pool. Nice :)
I haven't followed top prospects nearly as closely over the last few years as the Panthers haven't been near the top of the draft, but I find this really hard to believe (though I definitely enjoy the thought).

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Can someone post the full article?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think that Borgstrom could be a better center than Trocheck within two years time, and those three could be a pretty sweet line in the future.

I think that is a hard way to do. Cause Trocheck brought something into the Panthers no other Prospect did before him after him we had a few.
He reach an outcome over the projected Goal and then he doesnt stop his play. Im also high on Borgstrom but current we must wait how he come into the Camp.
I mean Trocheck come into the Prospect Camp and Tournament with 200%, then get into the Panthers Camp still 200% with the Goal, Opening Night Roster Spot and a Spot for the Season.
And then as an little extra he was lifted from 3rd to 2nd during the Season, for a Player who live from his Energy and results, that beginning of a Carrer pushed him.

I dont see this kind of energy in Borgstrom, that make Trocheck also so special for the Panthers and a future Captain if he can be a bit more serious.

I think Borgstrom is from his mentality form my first Impression on him more like Barkov then Trocheck.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Florida is in the US :)

Edit: Pagnotta just mega-trolled everyone lmao
Unless we trade Hoffman back to Ottawa, I don't think he'll sign with us. Heck, just trading for Hoffman might be enough for EK to forever blacklist us even without Hoffman in the lineup.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Something different i saw it today a note on nhlrumorsandtrades page.
That both Bobo and Panarin starting without a new Contract. We all know Panarin is more or less like Karlsson, as much he plays there as much the Question comes up where he will end and when.
But Bobo aolso could think about hit the Market, belongs how the Season for Columbus and future are go.

Also 29 and a Starting Goalie that is something as a Panthers Fan i would want to look around. Cause this Season is more or less the task about future Starting Goalie.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Something different i saw it today a note on nhlrumorsandtrades page.
That both Bobo and Panarin starting without a new Contract. We all know Panarin is more or less like Karlsson, as much he plays there as much the Question comes up where he will end and when.
But Bobo aolso could think about hit the Market, belongs how the Season for Columbus and future are go.

Also 29 and a Starting Goalie that is something as a Panthers Fan i would want to look around. Cause this Season is more or less the task about future Starting Goalie.

Good thing we got $7.5 million coming off the books in UFAs at the end of this year with no huge raises due, we can trade Bjugstad or Pysyk for cap relief if need be in off season to chase BOB. He would command a 7-8 year deal at $8+ million but would set us up for a solid 6-7 year window. Lu would need to retire, trade or buyout Reimer. Cap will keep going up with SEA on it's way in 2 years.

We are collecting Russians, add a Vezina winner to the mix and get us to the finals in 2020. Hopefully make it to 2nd round this year to help attract his eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->