The 2018 Panthers off-season thread- Part II

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah Eichel is overrated but I wouldn't say extremely. He's surrounded with shit.

Losing ROR is going to hurt them a lot though and bringing in Skinner is a bare minimum they could do. I guess they are really praying that Dahlin can be generational right from the start.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No teams worse than Florida last year got even close to them, and Florida's closest teams didn't do much

. Florida:

Added a top 6, arguably 1st line winger for nothing
Got Mark Pysyk off the 2nd pair
Signed probably the best 3rd goalie in the league

Philly:

Signed JVR- good move

CBJ:

Lost Calvert and replaced him with Riley Nash-pretty quiet

NJD:

Lost Maroon and Moore and added zero roster players-no exaggeration, the Devils have given out zero 1 way contracts and didn't make a trade this summer.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't know what will happen assuming they get in, but surely there's cosmic justice enough in the world where a team that made the playoffs by a point on the back of 1 skater and did nothing all summer will do worse than a team that addressed all needs.

Reactions: Ghoste

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't know what will happen assuming they get in, but surely there's cosmic justice enough in the world where a team that made the playoffs by a point on the back of 1 skater and did nothing all summer will do worse than a team that addressed all needs.
Maybe they have some good rookies coming up.

Imo our faith is tied with Luongo's health.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Maybe they have some good rookies coming up.

Imo our faith is tied with Luongo's health.
Na. If I'm a Devils fan who thinks they're making the playoffs it's because Hischier continues to improve, Johansson is healthy, and maybe Zacha doesn't suck finally? That said Hall also probably needs to duplicate his season from last year.

Re: goaltending-I'd argue it's Reimer's play. Luongo is going to start 30-35 games, so those 50 starts from Reimer and Hutch are what matter.

I don't really see much reason to doubt Lu being Lu when he starts.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Na. If I'm a Devils fan who thinks they're making the playoffs it's because Hischier continues to improve, Johansson is healthy, and maybe Zacha doesn't suck finally? That said Hall also probably needs to duplicate his season from last year.

Re: goaltending-I'd argue it's Reimer's play. Luongo is going to start 30-35 games, so those 50 starts from Reimer and Hutch are what matter.

I don't really see much reason to doubt Lu being Lu when he starts.

ouch... that's nothing. I'd assume he'll get 50 if he stays healthy. That's a big if though.

I think this is the last year for him. Good thing they are giving Hutch a look, maybe there's something there.

No teams worse than Florida last year got even close to them, and Florida's closest teams didn't do much

. Florida:

Philly:

Signed JVR- good move

CBJ:

NJD:

Lost Maroon and Moore and added zero roster players-no exaggeration, the Devils have given out zero 1 way contracts and didn't make a trade this summer.

Also add the whole Panarin situation with CBJ. They may end up trading him before the season starts and even if they don't, I'm pretty sure it will affect them in some way knowing he's leaving after this year.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Anybody know anything about Jacob McDonald? Undrafted kid who fought his way through lower level leagues and earned a chance with NJ's AHL team.
The Hockey Guy posted this about him yesterday.

Some thoughts of NJ fans about him are in the comment section. Could be a good pickup for Springfield, if nothing more.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
ouch... that's nothing. I'd assume he'll get 50 if he stays healthy. That's a big if though.

I think this is the last year for him. Good thing they are giving Hutch a look, maybe there's something there.

He's not healthy though. It's a question of how many games he's going to miss, not will he miss any.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Reimer is good enough to make the playoffs with as a primary goalie.

Reimer is not good enough to win a Stanley Cup with, though.

It's something that has to be addressed if/when management decides to actually try and take that "next step"

(if they ever do... you never know with Tallon and his perpetual rebuild mindset)

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

. Florida:

Philly:

Signed JVR- good move

CBJ:

NJD:

it's a little early to say we successfully got Pysyk off the second pair.

we really don't know how Kiselevich's game is going to transfer over to the NHL. or any KHL-lifer for that matter. it's hit or miss.

for example, Dadonov last year was a home run - but we also swung and missed badly with Henrik Haapala, who was also extremely hyped by management and was completely out of place.

I realize Haapala didn't play in the KHL, but still, you never really know how some of these guys' game will translate to the NHL.

He could become a solid 2nd pair D for us, or he could play 10 games for us, be a total disaster and back in Russia by 2019.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018

we really don't know how Kiselevich's game is going to transfer over to the NHL. or any KHL-lifer for that matter. it's hit or miss.

for example, Dadonov last year was a home run - but we also swung and missed badly with Henrik Haapala, who was also extremely hyped by management and was completely out of place.

I realize Haapala didn't play in the KHL, but still, you never really know how some of these guys' game will translate to the NHL.

He could become a solid 2nd pair D for us, or he could play 10 games for us, be a total disaster and back in Russia by 2019.
totally agree with ur last few posts. although as much as I know kisilevich couod easily bust, I weirdly don't think he will. I see him bouncing between #4,5,6 D this year and settling into a shut down role. were so weak in that dept. I can't see it not working for him at least most of the year.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Reimer is good enough to make the playoffs with as a primary goalie.

Reimer is not good enough to win a Stanley Cup with, though.

It's something that has to be addressed if/when management decides to actually try and take that "next step"

(if they ever do... you never know with Tallon and his perpetual rebuild mindset)

Niemi says hello!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

This is a good post and fair, im just fairly optimistic based on the limited info I read on him and Tallons general success with Russians.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Sporting News contributor Steve Kournianos, of TheDraftAnalyst.com, ranks the FL farm system 8th in league. I wonder if the ranking changes when Borgstrom isn't factored in (assuming he sticks in Sunrise this season), as well as Buffalo's (#1) ranking with Dahlin and Mittlestadt no longer considered to be among their prospects.
1. Henrik Borgstrom (C)
2. Owen Tippett (RW)
3. Aleksi Heponiemi (RW)
4. Grigori Denisenko (RW)
5. Serron Noel (RW)
6. Riley Stillman (LHD)
7. Samuel Montembeault (G)
8. Max Gildon (LHD)
9. Jonathan Ang (C)
10. Ryan Bednard (G)
Is it safe to say that FL's scouting dept has noticeably improved over recent years? Jameson Olive notes in his article about the rankings, "In looking at that list, one of the most impressive things that stands out is the fact that half of the players listed were selected in the third round or later, including Gildon (66th overall, 2017) and Stillman (114th overall, 2016), who are arguably the organization's top-two defensive prospects."
Panthers Farm System Earns High Marks from Sporting News
Link to the Sporting News article is there.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I find it funny h0w every off-season analyst of Panthers for next season they list all our good players but they never ever mention Dadonov like he's chop liver.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Did not realize that we were the only team in the league that had 4 players with at least 27 goals and 65 points last season.

Really sucks we didn't make the playoffs with that type of production. It might be tough to replicate that.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Did not realize that we were the only team in the league that had 4 players with at least 27 goals and 65 points last season.

Really sucks we didn't make the playoffs with that type of production. It might be tough to replicate that.
because look at everything else after those 4. (5 if you include Bjugstad and his 49 points)

The next highest point total among the forwards was McGinn's 28. They got absolutely nothing from the bottom 6 and had the worst 4th line in the NHL. They had no balance. It's why I think it would be a mistake to put Hoffman on the 2nd line. Someone needs to be the driver of the third line.

Reactions: Montsy14

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
because look at everything else after those 4. (5 if you include Bjugstad and his 49 points)

The next highest point total among the forwards was McGinn's 28. They got absolutely nothing from the bottom 6 and had the worst 4th line in the NHL. They had no balance. It's why I think it would be a mistake to put Hoffman on the 2nd line. Someone needs to be the driver of the third line.

It'll be huge if we can get a boost from the 3rd line. I think with guys like Malgin, McCann, Tippett, Borgstrom, etc. the production levels should be higher than last season. Also, we won't have to rely so much on our top 6 to carry the load. Defensively, need to be better from game 1 as well. This team needs to find an identity and stick with it. Last season was way too volatile.

I don't necessarily agree with moving Hoffman or someone else down to 3rd line, though. We have a solid top 6 that I wouldn't mess with. Sure, depending on injuries or performance, it might be needed, but I wouldn't right off the bat. Guys need to step up and earn spots and be reliable in our bottom 6. The competition is there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It'll be huge if we can get a boost from the 3rd line. I think with guys like Malgin, McCann, Tippett, Borgstrom, etc. the production levels should be higher than last season. Also, we won't have to rely so much on our top 6 to carry the load. Defensively, need to be better from game 1 as well. This team needs to find an identity and stick with it. Last season was way too volatile.

I don't necessarily agree with moving Hoffman or someone else down to 3rd line, though. We have a solid top 6 that I wouldn't mess with. Sure, depending on injuries or performance, it might be needed, but I wouldn't right off the bat. Guys need to step up and earn spots and be reliable in our bottom 6. The competition is there, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Look at the Penguins. They put two 3rd line quality guys next to crosby and he carries them to top 6 numbers. This allows them to put a guy like Kessel on the 3rd line and dominate against easy matchups.

I'm not saying you give Barkov Malgin and McCann as linemates, but if you put someone like Huberdeau or Hoffman on the 3rd line with Borgstrom as the center, you will likely get 3 lines worth of great offensive production.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The NBC TV schedule is out. They finally seem to be moving away from the constant parade of Hawks, Rangers, Bruins, Pens or Flyers games. Will even show some Canadian teams play this year, Jets, Oilers and Leafs.
The only Panther game on the schedule (quick glance, I may have missed something) is one of the games in Finland vs Winnipeg.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The NBC TV schedule is out. They finally seem to be moving away from the constant parade of Hawks, Rangers, Bruins, Pens or Flyers games. Will even show some Canadian teams play this year, Jets, Oilers and Leafs.
The only Panther game on the schedule (quick glance, I may have missed something) is one of the games in Finland vs Winnipeg.

The NHL releases a statement about how “they are anxious in exposing other teams into the mix on TV,” but only have us play on national tv once.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah. Breath of fresh air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad