The 2018 Panthers off-season thread- Part II

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Damn that 5 game insurmountable chasm.

Need a 40 goal scorer to make up the difference. Might as well give up hope already.

Are we cup contenders? No...our defense need to be fixed first. No denying that. But the obsession of adding 40 goal scorers as the only means to an end is just comical :laugh:
uh yea, a 40 goal scorer very much could make up a 5 game diff. and 5 games is nothing to scoff at. a 5 game swing is a 10 point diff. in the standings which separates very good teams from non playoff teams. but hey what do u care? pfft, playoffs amirite?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I thought it was Kucherov you wanted at all costs, and that everyone was an idiot for not agreeing with you?

I swear to god, you have got to be the most toxic poster I've ever seen on this board. As someone mentioned above, some of us have been posting here for 15+ years and want to see the team succeed as much as you do. But the way you talk to people, with your attitude, and your arrogance, and self-righteousness over being the arbiter of who is and isn't outraged enough at our lack of success is enough to make me gag.

For the sake of everyone who posts here, can you please take a moment of self-reflection and understand that we come here to have fun and talk about hockey and that your terrible attitude is fostering a toxic environment?
why even answer me if ur going to deliberately misquote me and strawman? its just dumb and should bore u almost as much as it does me. kuch was an example of the type of player this team would need to compete as the roster stands now. is panarin a 40 goal scorer? no but kinda around that area and very well could be next yr. and even if he scores in the mid 30's he's still a ppg player which is basically just as useful to us. only a dileberately obnoxious person would think I meant kuch and only kuch could save us. just juvenile. there are many things that could make the panthers a contender. gut the d core and replace it with tampas. gut the offense and replace it with torontos or tampas. replace luongo with holtby/rask etc. the more u need to change the more unfeasable it becomes. so I just mentioned a quick thing that would make this roster a competitor. add a 40 goal type and the team would be one of the leagues best. not negative. shouldn't be controversial. just a statement of fact. now I fully realize those don't grow on trees. so lets get panarin. he's clearly a possibility. and if tallon refuses to give up the future for a trade and sign, then we'll never have a present just like we don't have a past. and we wont have a future in the near term either when the cores contracts are up and they demand money we can't/wont pay them in 4 yrs. we have a window now and only now. and I really consider the actual window only 2 yrs because dads and hoff will be UFAs, our elite goalie will retire, and yandle will be old-ish. so its this season and next that were in prime position to make a cup run if we add a superstar. so screw the prospects. lets get the best fwd we can and do some damage for once ever with a real roster.

Last edited:

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
why even answer me if ur going to deliberately misquote me and strawman? its just dumb and should bore u almost as much as it does me. kuch was an example of the type of player this team would need to compete as the roster stands now... only a dileberately obnoxious person would think I meant kuch and only kuch could save us. just juvenile.

I have never - in my entire life - seen a better example of, "Missing my point entirely while making it for me." Thanks for that.

I'll repeat myself from my last post: For the sake of everyone who posts here, can you please take a moment of self-reflection and understand that we come here to have fun and talk about hockey and that your terrible attitude is fostering a toxic environment?

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The price paid for Skinner is irrelevant because he rejected multiple trades with his NMC. Carolinas hands were tied. They should have kept him, not that im complaining because it makes Floridas playoff path even easier.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
The price paid for Skinner is irrelevant because he rejected multiple trades with his NMC. Carolinas hands were tied. They should have kept him, not that im complaining because it makes Floridas playoff path even easier.
unless buffalo somehow ends up decent.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Hold up there.

If the gap between Florida and Toronto was a chasm.....how can you with a straight face say Buffalo could be "decent" when the spread was multiple times worse :laugh:
well i did add the caveat "somehow". lets say they arent done adding to their roster and are willing to sacrifice more futures unlike us. its not inconceivable they could land some good players and lets not forget dahlin. he could be immediately game changing. i dont see their roster as all that terrible. but yes the odds are if the rosters stay as they are right now, buffalo will not be a threat. i do see buffalo as being an amazing team in a few years though. their rebuild contains multiple future superstar pieces.

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
uh yea, a 40 goal scorer very much could make up a 5 game diff. and 5 games is nothing to scoff at. a 5 game swing is a 10 point diff. in the standings which separates very good teams from non playoff teams. but hey what do u care? pfft, playoffs amirite?

More consistent play from start to finish can also yield five additional wins. And they can do that without giving up the significant assets needed to get one of the league’s handful of 40 goal scorers.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
More consistent play from start to finish can also yield five additional wins. And they can do that without giving up the significant assets needed to get one of the league’s handful of 40 goal scorers.
ur getting hung up on the 40 goal scorer thing. its just something I threw out there not knowing it'd be on my tombstone. what I meant was a superstar scorer. it doesn't literally only have to be someone who can exactly reach the 40 goal mark. panarin would be just about as helpful. and I don't see any value in us holding any asset that can't help us today. I believe we have a 2 year cup window with hoff and daddy, but 4 yrs is the absolute maximum as we will lose significant players when tro and bark need new deals. so any prospect who can't make a difference this year should be jettisoned for great players who can help us now. we've been waiting for th future for 25 years. there comes a time when u have to sacrifice for the now. and if not now, then when?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
well i did add the caveat "somehow". lets say they arent done adding to their roster and are willing to sacrifice more futures unlike us. its not inconceivable they could land some good players and lets not forget dahlin. he could be immediately game changing. i dont see their roster as all that terrible. but yes the odds are if the rosters stay as they are right now, buffalo will not be a threat. i do see buffalo as being an amazing team in a few years though. their rebuild contains multiple future superstar pieces.
Basically what it comes down to then is you can see Buffalo having a season where things come together and they do well, but FL is doomed to all of their young kids falling off and being disappointing, after all. It's impossible that the young kids on 3 might actually contribute, as Barky and the rest of the top 6 take another step forward. There's no way they can do well enough to add to the goal totals of last year....they can't sniff Leafs jock without a 40 goal guy, it's written in stone. You fully assume as fact that the worst scenario for FL is going to occur at every possible turn. Most here have the frustration of years of futility just as you do, so it seems it's more than that with you. Is it your personal agenda with Tallon that causes you to overlook/dismiss anything good and to focus and harp on every flaw? Theres no hope of competing with Lightning,Leafs or Boston, even after last year's second half? You're welcome to your opinion, but you are rather incessant and repetitive with your message. The past is gone, it is what is, it's time to move on. You are impatient to win now, at any cost, don't care if we may once again suck for years after a couple good kicks at the can. Others are more patient, and see the worth in not rushing it and competing for 6-10 years, and actually kicking that can once or twice along the way.
Others are thinking, "Ok, show me, Dale", while you assume abject failure will become a fact. You eventually, as conversations go on, attempt to belittle anyone who expresses a differing opinion. You are certainly entitled to voice your opinion, but I wonder why anyone here even bothers to engage you anymore. Oh, and you can take your trite zinger...your go to insult, "(if you don't agree with me) You must be satisfied w/mediocrity." and blow it out your ass. How richly condescending that one is. All of here want a winner, Jakey, whether we agree with your opinions or not. And, believe it or not, Tallon's clock is ticking, even with the "mediocrity accepting" simpletons, Jakey. Anything less than the playoffs is a failure, in my eyes. Idk how you missed it, but I saw a team last February /March that can hang with and beat anybody. I saw a team that was fun to watch again, but I guess I'm crazy to think they might even improve this year.
I'm starting to wonder if you are rooting more for the Panthers or more to be able to tell everyone, "I told you so."
Feel free to offer a rebuttal, rephrase your argument differently and come with again, if you must, but this isn't an attempt to start a conversation.
It's to the point of when I read your posts, all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher speaking.
Edit: I must add that I think others have been out of line with some convos with you. Everyone needs to chill. It kinda sucks checking in here, recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: KW

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Basically what it comes down to then is you can see Buffalo having a season where things come together and they do well, but FL is doomed to all of their young kids falling off and being disappointing, after all. It's impossible that the young kids on 3 might actually contribute, as Barky and the rest of the top 6 take another step forward. There's no way they can do well enough to add to the goal totals of last year....they can't sniff Leafs jock without a 40 goal guy, it's written in stone. You fully assume as fact that the worst scenario for FL is going to occur at every possible turn. Most here have the frustration of years of futility just as you do, so it seems it's more than that with you. Is it your personal agenda with Tallon that causes you to overlook/dismiss anything good and to focus and harp on every flaw? Theres no hope of competing with Lightning,Leafs or Boston, even after last year's second half? You're welcome to your opinion, but you are rather incessant and repetitive with your message. The past is gone, it is what is, it's time to move on. You are impatient to win now, at any cost, don't care if we may once again suck for years after a couple good kicks at the can. Others are more patient, and see the worth in not rushing it and competing for 6-10 years, and actually kicking that can once or twice along the way.
Others are thinking, "Ok, show me, Dale", while you assume abject failure will become a fact. You eventually, as conversations go on, attempt to belittle anyone who expresses a differing opinion. You are certainly entitled to voice your opinion, but I wonder why anyone here even bothers to engage you anymore. Oh, and you can take your trite zinger...your go to insult, "(if you don't agree with me) You must be satisfied w/mediocrity." and blow it out your ass. How richly condescending that one is. All of here want a winner, Jakey, whether we agree with your opinions or not. And, believe it or not, Tallon's clock is ticking, even with the "mediocrity accepting" simpletons, Jakey. Anything less than the playoffs is a failure, in my eyes. Idk how you missed it, but I saw a team last February /March that can hang with and beat anybody. I saw a team that was fun to watch again, but I guess I'm crazy to think they might even improve this year.
I'm starting to wonder if you are rooting more for the Panthers or more to be able to tell everyone, "I told you so."
Feel free to offer a rebuttal, rephrase your argument differently and come with again, if you must, but this isn't an attempt to start a conversation.
It's to the point of when I read your posts, all I hear is Charlie Brown's teacher speaking.
Edit: I must add that I think others have been out of line with some convos with you. Everyone needs to chill. It kinda sucks checking in here, recently.
since you ended with that edit at the end, ill assume you were addressing me as an actual human and ill give you my honest opinion which was what I thought I was doing all along but ill clarify further. i do think buffalos young core has better cup potential in the future than ours does in the present but that's irrelevant right now. I'm also not judging tallon or the panthers based on the past although this is all occuring with the backdrop of 25 horrific years so it is relevant to mention when expressing my dissatisfaction with the current roster. I did not see the 2nd half of last year as some sort of ascendence of the panthers. to me, it was a team that lucked out in many 1 goal games, beat a few really good teams at the buzzer, and had major non injury luck that other teams did not have as a long season drags on and their rosters thin with hurt players. I think the team was better than the first half of the season but not by the margin their record showed.

hoffman is a great addition and I'm excited to have him. but he helps us become a wildcard team at best. he does not make us a stanley cup contender which is what I assume we all want here. our defense isn't top 10 in the nhl to me which makes our barely top 10 offense not enough to make a cup run. I don't see how we can realistically get a #1 or 2 d man at this point so I feel a superstar scorer is the only realistic path to the cup. there happens to be one available who wouldn't mind playing in florida. tallon needs to do whatever it takes outside of trading our top 5 fwds and top 3 d men to make this happen. I would trade most of our good prospects for him if it meant he'd sign an 8 yr deal at under 9 million per and it included us sending mcginn and pysyk the other way or some combination of shedding useless salary. bjug might be another guy that'd have to go to make it possible. our players are young enough that we wouldn't need to have a stocked prospect pool for quite a while and wed have the most exciting 4 years we could ever reasonably hope for. and who knows, if the team is having the time of their lives those yrs, the core may take discounts to keep it all together when the time comes. the point is what we have now (while admittedly one of if not the best roster we've ever had which says very little) is not a cup winning team. if u disagree I wont begrudge u for it but I just cannot fathom that u do. I want the panthers to win a cup. I don't want to be right about this. I don't want to say I told u so. but if nothing is done to upgrade this roster, I will end up being right and I will have told u so.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hold up there.

If the gap between Florida and Toronto was a chasm.....how can you with a straight face say Buffalo could be "decent" when the spread was multiple times worse :laugh:

People seem to forget they lost Ryan O'Reilly. That's a huge hole. Not to mention there goaltending is very eh..

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
People seem to forget they lost Ryan O'Reilly. That's a huge hole. Not to mention there goaltending is very eh..
a 1C with superstar scoring potential. a 2C coming in that is almost guaranteed to be a ppg type player himself. pretty good young wingers. a possible generational defenseman coming in. other pieces can fall into place around a nucleus like that. I'm not saying it will. I'm saying it could. it'll take years though. if were talking about the present moment threats, unless toronto suffers serious injuries we will not finish ahead of them. they simply have the better roster. the only place that's controversial to say is here and nowhere else on earth. the only way I see us finishing in the top 3 is if boston falls off a cliff. I don't think that's realistic. they hit home runs on so many prospects the last few yrs they're set for quite a few years when they should have been in decline right now. and tampa is just straight up the best roster in the world.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Yup, the Sabres aren't a concern.Skinner makes them better but they're still a couple years away. Florida is a top 8 team in the conference if healthy. The off-season moves were all good, and the only teams potentially close to Florida did nothing or downgraded.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yup, the Sabres aren't a concern.Skinner makes them better but they're still a couple years away. Florida is a top 8 team in the conference if healthy. The off-season moves were all good, and the only teams potentially close to Florida did nothing or downgraded.
thats true. the teams we'd be competing with did not make themselves better. i think we're a safe bet for a wildcard spot. only injuries can derail that. i fully expect playoffs this year. i just dont think we'll see the 2nd round. but its the nhl so who knows. i really think we'll face the bolts this year. itll be a tight series as our games always are. i think that series will get very good ratings for a 1st round matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad