Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
What do you guys think the chances are we trade the pick? I'm thinking around 75%. I just have a gut feeling Simmonds will be an Oiler, and I'm thinking the 10th pick will be included in that deal. Simmonds obviously agrees to an extension before the trade

Trade it away? My guess would be around 10%.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Someone on the Rangers forum has inside info and thought that the Oilers like Bokk, possibly enough to take him at #10. He might be the trade-down target, I don't think Smith gets past the Islanders.

Even something like that wouldn’t shock me.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Let me get this straight.... If the rumours are true and we are actually eyeing up Hayton, we are drafting for a position we are currently deepest in... Makes a lot of sense.

I don't think they should take Hayton(just take what's left from the top 10), but I wouldn't say the Oilers are really all that deep at center(especially in the pipeline where they basically don't even have a single middle-tier center prospect).

It looks like one of RNH or Drai will be playing wing and a guy like Hayton would still be in his first or second year of his ELC when RNH is due for UFA.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Drai is demanding we draft Bokk!!!
When I first read this my first thought was "What the hell is a Bokk and why would I want one?" LOL

But after doing a 5 minute googling, I have to admit he sounds kind of interesting. Definitely one of those "Magical Mystery Box" draft picks that could turn into something inspired or just another Michel Riesen-type.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If the BPA is a C.. then take a C. I agree that you don't pass on a good player just because of position.

Honestly the Oilers are obviously several players short of being "good" up front anyway. More good depth at all the forward positions is always needed. Plus as noted... a C can quite easily play the wing (as we've seen with both Drai and RNH).

It will take several years for that newly drafted prospect to be contributing at the NHL level anyway... and by then you could have a radically different picture when it comes to the depth at all positions due to trades, injuries, regressions ect.

A couple years ago it looked like the team had solid LW depth... now it's basically nil if/when Lucic is traded. So much so that you have to pencil in RNH (a C) on LW just so you have something decent on LW in the top 6.

Same goes for RW now... it's looking mighty shallow unless/until Rattie-Yamamoto-Puljujarvi turn into solid top 6 performers.

Long story short.. pick great players and worry about too much of a good thing down the road.

Reactions: Digger12

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've said this many times before... but consensus means poop.

All "consensus" is... is a a vague list of top prospects put together by various sources that A) have variable levels of scouting ability and B) will likely NOT be on the draft floor involved with actually making the picks that matter.

Now sure... consensus sometimes appears to work at the top of the order because well yes the top elite prospects do stand out the most. Guys like Svechnikov/Dahlin are obviously going to be high on consensus lists because they are pretty obvious picks based on their clear talent.

Once you get past the top few elite talents though... consensus goes out the window and every team has 10+ scouts and advisors that all have their own criteria that likely does not aline with any consensus list which is more of a vague average of sentiment rather than anything concrete.

People get too hung up on consensus lists and statements like there is a "clear top 3/5/9/10" etc in the draft. There is NOT a clear top 3/5/9/10. It's all fluid and will depend on what each team feels are the criteria for their team at that point in time.

Anyone is welcome to list their top 10 picks in order here and I will guarantee you no one will get them right in the order they are actually picked. Impossible as every team will have their own likes/dislikes and needs for this draft.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Someone on the Rangers forum has inside info and thought that the Oilers like Bokk, possibly enough to take him at #10. He might be the trade-down target, I don't think Smith gets past the Islanders.

They signed Persson out of Bokk's SHL team and sent him back for more development. They probably have good connections, prossibly from our new Euro scout Vaclav Burda (he came from Ottawa and they drafted a ton of Swedes). They should be really familiar with Bokk. There was talk that Burda drafted Erik Karlsson, maybe he has some pull.

Bokk is a lot like Pastrnak, he'd fit right in with that amazing 2014 Boston draft. Seems like a Keith Gretzky type.
Can you link this post? I've been looking through their forum but can't find it.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Can you link this post? I've been looking through their forum but can't find it.

I'll put this out there now.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see someone like Bokk go much higher than people expect at the draft, with the Oilers being a prime candidate.

Hearing that they have a keen interest in Bokk and it wouldn't be shocking if they even went for him at the 10 spot.

Will that come to fruition. :dunno:

But it's out there.

Certain names are starting to routinely pop up for certain teams.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Bokk is definitely a guy I hope the Oilers target, I just hope they trade down if they are really pursuing him. Hopefully we swing a deal with Philly

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
When I first read this my first thought was "What the hell is a Bokk and why would I want one?" LOL

But after doing a 5 minute googling, I have to admit he sounds kind of interesting. Definitely one of those "Magical Mystery Box" draft picks that could turn into something inspired or just another Michel Riesen-type.

Michel Riesen. That was a good pick.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I think the Oilers need to draft more tough defensemen. Kind of like Gryba. Can't have too many of those guys on the roster.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Righty or lefty does not matter to us. Chia.

Here comes Ty Smith. It cannot be more obvious.

Bob Green said the same thing yesterday.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's just crazy talk.
upload_2018-6-21_10-14-31.png

upload_2018-6-21_10-15-31.png

His response .."no thats not"

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-21_10-15-3.png
    upload_2018-6-21_10-15-3.png
    721.7 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2018-6-21_10-15-3.png
    upload_2018-6-21_10-15-3.png
    721.7 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

They signed Persson out of Bokk's SHL team and sent him back for more development. They probably have good connections, prossibly from our new Euro scout Vaclav Burda (he came from Ottawa and they drafted a ton of Swedes). They should be really familiar with Bokk. There was talk that Burda drafted Erik Karlsson, maybe he has some pull.

Bokk is a lot like Pastrnak, he'd fit right in with that amazing 2014 Boston draft. Seems like a Keith Gretzky type.

Yeah I could definitely see Gretzky liking Bokk a lot. Honestly I don't even know who is in charge of the drafts in Edmonton. Is it Gretzky 100%? Or how much input does Bob Green have? Because if Bob Green would get to decide I'm 99% sure the pick would be Ty Smith. Gretzky seems to have a very different approach to drafting and if he indeed is 100% in charge of the Oilers draft, then I'd be surprised if Smith was the pick. A guy like Bokk sound a lot more like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->