Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I mean can we get Jet Woo and Milan Lucic on the ice hitting at the same time?

The crowd would be amazing.

Looch-Nuge-Woo

having said that, Akil for a RHS dynamic C considering we have none in our prospect pool.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank5

Hockey Prospect one of the first scouting services to release a 2018 ranking.

Some good right-handed players could be available at our pick.

Thomas, Dellandrea, Merkley, E. Bouchard, X. Bouchard, Ylonen, Wahlstrom, Wilde are some guys to keep an eye on. Would be thrilled with Boqvist or Woo but don't see them being available.

Hope we don't trade away this pick because this draft is looking very, very strong.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Looch-Nuge-Woo

having said that, Akil for a RHS dynamic C considering we have none in our prospect pool.

Thomas would definitely be a good pick, like you said he fits the prospect pool needs to a tee. Plus with the signing of Mantha and drafting Maksimov it would seem the Oil have been scouting Niagara quite a bit this year. I kinda doubt he'll still be around when we're picking though, but a lot can change in a year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Another guy to keep an eye on is the finn Rasmus Kupari. Right-handed C listed at 6'0, 168 lbs so not the biggest guy but not that small either. Only seen this video of him so far but he looks impressive:

Given how much C's, and right-handed ones at that, are a need in the system this guy could fit the bill. Ranked #15 on HockeyProspect's early 2018 rankings.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=319079

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2018&layout=&ranking=Rank5

Hockey Prospect one of the first scouting services to release a 2018 ranking.

Some good right-handed players could be available at our pick.

Thomas, Dellandrea, Merkley, E. Bouchard, X. Bouchard, Ylonen, Wahlstrom, Wilde are some guys to keep an eye on. Would be thrilled with Boqvist or Woo but don't see them being available.

Hope we don't trade away this pick because this draft is looking very, very strong.

Akil Thomas too. Highest scoring rookie in Ice Dogs history.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'm real late to this, but you can watch the U18 Ivan Hlinka game Canada vs. Russia right now on a glorious feed off of YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-WfWhbvSw

Lots of draft eligibles for both countries playing. Not sure if this channel also showed the USA/SWE game earlier today, looking around.

EDIT: Game is over. It's now archived above.

[spoil]Canada lost in shootout 4-3[/spoil]

Watched mostly the defense in the short time I watched. Didn't love the execution from Merkley on his offensive forrays (didn't accomplish, was put down on his arse), Calen Addison didn't look much smaller than Merkley standing side-by-side next to the benches (for comparison, Veleno must be an inch taller for sure, Foote by this comparison must be 6'2/6'3, and a quick eliteprospects search says 6'3, so eyes seems to be working today), Addison maybe up to 5'10 now, and he was roving everywhere. In OT he was the man back on a 2-on-1 and then lead the breakout into a breakaway attempt the other way. He got a penalty shot for his effort but put it right into the glove. Team Canada used two RHD on their PP with Merkley and Addison, and Addison was downlow in the goal mouth often resulting in goals (Hayton, McBain). Ty Smith had a very controlled game. Understand the heady comments. Didn't see enough of McIssac, Woo, Dobson to really comment. Seemed all the defense was capable of being up in the play. McIsaac being the first shootout shooter was weird.

Sweden trounced USA today 6-1. Adam Boqvist had a shot tipped in and assisted on a PP tally. Fellow 2018 draft eligible Swedish RHD Filip Johansson had a goal and two assists, the helpers coming off of richoets from his clapper. This kid likes to shoot it.

There is a great website here that shows gifs of the goals for the U18 Ivan Hlinka games.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm real late to this, but you can watch the U18 Ivan Hlinka game Canada vs. Russia right now on a glorious feed off of YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-WfWhbvSw

Lots of draft eligibles for both countries playing. Not sure if this channel also showed the USA/SWE game earlier today, looking around.

USA-SWE was here: http://www.hokej.cz/tv/hokejka/video/2527

Not sure if they'll upload the video or not.

All games played in Group A will be on there, while the other Group B will be the youtube feed I think. One group is played in Czech Republic, the other in Slovakia.

Canada-Finland tomorrow at 7:30am MT (I think).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Two goals from two different swedish right-handed defensemen (Adam Boqvist and Filip Johansson) in their game against USA earlier.

Diminuitive forward Lukas Wernblom had two goals as well.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Updated my post with notes from viewings.

USA-SWE was here: http://www.hokej.cz/tv/hokejka/video/2527

Not sure if they'll upload the video or not.

All games played in Group A will be on there, while the other Group B will be the youtube feed I think. One group is played in Czech Republic, the other in Slovakia.

Canada-Finland tomorrow at 7:30am MT (I think).

Super helpful. Thanks Zaddy. Won't be able to catch the action back at work this week, will try on the weekend.

I think they credited a forward with a tip in front for Boqvist's "goal". Did you watch the SWE/USA game Zaddy?

that addison kid looks kinda fancy.

Didn't go in with the intention of watching him so much but he had other ideas. Kid needs more meat on his bones but he moves the puck around really well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This draft really looks like it could have the best crop of defensemen ever.

Seems like every CHL league has a handful of potential 1st rounders.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Super helpful. Thanks Zaddy. Won't be able to catch the action back at work this week, will try on the weekend.

I think they credited a forward with a tip in front for Boqvist's "goal". Did you watch the SWE/USA game Zaddy?

Yeah, I guess Samuel Fagemo got credit for the goal. Wasn't a great game by any means, summer hockey and all that, but Boqvist was impressive as always.

giphy.gif

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Great chance to catch some draft eligibles in action as Canada takes on Sweden.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Craig's List is out

Interesting top 3. Lot of RD nearing the bottom of his rankings. Evan Bouchard, Jett Woo and Bode Wilde nearing the bottom of his top 30.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Craig's List is out

Interesting top 3. Lot of RD nearing the bottom of his rankings. Evan Bouchard, Jett Woo and Bode Wilde nearing the bottom of his top 30.

Jett Woo could potentially be available where the Oilers pick. I like him, but he's not a very dynamic offensive player from what I seen. Looks more like a reliable 2nd pairing guy. Would perhaps be better off at trying to add a high-end center prospect. There should be some decent ones available, although there's no one that I really love in that 20-30 range. Jakub Lauko, Ty Dellandrea or Jesperi Kotkaniemi could be decent options. Kotkaniemi I really like. Big, smart center who is a surpisingly agile skater and a fairly good finisher. Lauko is really fast and strong on the puck and has a good shot. Not sure how well he thinks the game though.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
McKenzie's preseason rankings are coming out this Wednesday. Here's another preseason list:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad