The 2017 UFA THREAD

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Depends on the length of the deal, if we only draft players 27 and under it may be a good thing to sign a few 30 year olds to a two or three year deal for some added veteran leadership. I'd be comfortable going after a solid guy like Stafford, and he's not too unrealistic, unlike an Oshie who'll make bank or re-sign in Washington.
And that's exactly how you should do it.

Drafting +30 over guys is stupid without maybe a couple of exceptions. Notably a goalie like Bishop.

You don't waste an expansion draft pick for guys that are going to hit the free agency soon anyway. Or when there will be probably similiar guys in the free agency already.

You draft younger guys that have been already signed for few years before they hit the UFA market or become RFAs at the end of their current deal.

This team will be in the building phase after the expansion draft. There is literally NO WAY they can contend after it. If they try to do that and draft guys like Mike Cammalleri then they'll set back the building process tremendously.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Would you really be against a 2-year $6 million per season offer to Patty Marleau?

He's the highest goal-scoring Sharks forward, with a team-leading six game winners and ELITE wheels (maybe a hlaf dozen NHLers could beat him) and all-time great soft hands to bury pucks by the crease.

In the last two Olympics he played both the pp and pk units for the gold-medal winning Canadian team.

He's a UFA this summer and has continued to do well despite being put as the 3rd line center with chumps on wing and only 17 minutes a game.

He's been a 5-year NHL captain who could wear the 'C' or at least a 'A' (alternate captain) well.

sharks-3-633x445.jpg

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Would you really be against a 2-year $6 million per season offer to Patty Marleau?

He's the highest goal-scoring Sharks forward, with a team-leading six game winners and ELITE wheels (maybe a hlaf dozen NHLers could beat him) and all-time great soft hands to bury pucks by the crease.

In the last two Olympics he played both the pp and pk units for the gold-medal winning Canadian team.

He's a UFA this summer and has continued to do well despite being put as the 3rd line center with chumps on wing and only 17 minutes a game.

He's been a 5-year NHL captain who could wear the 'C' or at least a 'A' (alternate captain) well.

sharks-3-633x445.jpg
And how does he help the Las Vegas team exactly in the long run?

A guy like Marleau can be signed after July 1st. He's definitely not worth using a draft choice over.

You need to realize this team won't be a contender in 5 years. Absolutely no way.

Either they draft these marleaus, cammalleris and moulsons right now. Be ok, but not good enough for a couple of years and then turn horrible while those guys are gone or too old.

OR they do like they should and use the draft choices to get guys they can CONTROL. Meaning guys who are younger and are RFAs at the end of their current contracts or have been locked to +2 year contracts.

That way they can help the future and actually gain something out of the expansion draft. You can then sign those veteran guys from the free agency.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How?

1. Help the team be competitive in year 1 to at least not be a laughingstock, win 50% of home games, be in the playoff hunt in early February if not April.

2. Be a tradable asset at the trade deadline in year 1 or 2.

3. Buddy, this is a UFA thread... no one is suggesting Marleau would be an expansion pick.:laugh:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Marleau also top active player in league with #/career GWG, has scored GWG against 29 teams.

But, I expect him to re-sign with San Jose. (Would have to pay more than $3m to get him to sign as the Sharks might be happy to have him at $3m.)

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
How?

1. Help the team be competitive in year 1 to at least not be a laughingstock, win 50% of home games, be in the playoff hunt in early February if not April.

2. Be a tradable asset at the trade deadline in year 1 or 2.

3. Buddy, this is a UFA thread... no one is suggesting Marleau would be an expansion pick.:laugh:

The thing is, any UFA COULD be a team's expansion pick if need be. IMO it would make sense for Vegas to sign Marleau as their San Jose pick.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
The thing is, any UFA COULD be a team's expansion pick if need be. IMO it would make sense for Vegas to sign Marleau as their San Jose pick.
This is what I meant.

And no. It would definitely not make sense to waste the pick signing Marleau.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
why would marleau sign in vegas at his age
1. It's close to home. If Anaheim or L.A. don't pony up for his services, the guy who has stated how much he and his family are rooted in the Bay area, would consider the team a few hours down the road.

2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. He has been put on the third line for most of the last couple of seasons. Word is he's not happy with his role. Give him the captaincy and a top-6 role back!

3. Benjamins. The billionaire with big dreams and the GM with the green light to make it happen would likely overpay for a free agent.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
1. It's close to home. If Anaheim or L.A. don't pony up for his services, the guy who has stated how much he and his family are rooted in the Bay area, would consider the team a few hours down the road.

2. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. He has been put on the third line for most of the last couple of seasons. Word is he's not happy with his role. Give him the captaincy and a top-6 role back!

3. Benjamins. The billionaire with big dreams and the GM with the green light to make it happen would likely overpay for a free agent.

Where'd that come from? Haven't seen anything recently (since rumor LAST season -- well before the 4 rounds of playoff -- that he wanted to be traded). If he really wanted to be elsewhere, it would have happened already.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The pool is severely shallow and this is before the best of them re-sign without reaching free agency.

LV must exercise every option open to them. I expect RFAs to be in play, either through aggressive offer sheets or by trade. LV should be able to pry significant prospects loose simply by threatening an offer sheet.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
With how few centers are available, maybe you can sign Thornton AND Marleau

If they don't re-sign with SJ for next season, I'd be surprised.

WRT offer sheets -- those picks must be in hand and the team's own.

In all likelihood, VGK will get rights to UFAs, RFAs as part of "future consideration" trades, the latter more than the former.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

sharks-3-633x445.jpg

Why would a guy like that sign with an expansion team?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Two guys I could definitely see in Vegas next year are Nick Bonino & Sam Gagner.

The expansion draft forward pool will likely be quite thin, both of those guys are fairly young (28 & 27 respectively) productive forwards who are unlikely to be retained by their current teams.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oshie will make top money but he's not going to score 25 goals a year for whoever pays him. He's a 15 goals guy on most teams at best. Would not be my target.

Guy I would chase is Hanzal. Big center who can hold his own, we're going to need guys like him down the middle. Since we won't have a top-end scoring line going with as much depth across 4 lines as possible will be the key and you gotta build down the middle. He's a 10-15 goals guy and matchup option. Would be my number one target.

If Hanzal's price gets stupid my backup is Boyle. Similar to the above, big centerman who will give us depth down the middle.

Bishop I like the idea of buying low on him, but that might not be possible with teams like Dallas out there. If Dallas doesn't go hard after him he will be an option I think, good leader and one of a rare group of goaltenders who can dominate in the playoffs when he's on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad