The 2017 NFL draft prospects thread

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Taking Trubisky over Garrett reminds me of Bradford over Suh.

It's always going to be a QB driven league however. Either you have one or you don't.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it's all big media smokescreen to get people pumped for the draft tonight. "Will the Browns screw it up?" is a sure way to keep interest at a high level.

Garrett will be the pick, and the Browns will trade back into the top five to get Trubisky. They'll give up #12, #33, and a 2nd rounder next year.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think it's all big media smokescreen to get people pumped for the draft tonight. "Will the Browns screw it up?" is a sure way to keep interest at a high level.

Garrett will be the pick, and the Browns will trade back into the top five to get Trubisky. They'll give up #12, #33, and a 2nd rounder next year.

Sashi Brown is an HF boarder. He wants to keep every pick.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Only a wonderlic should maybe be a concern for teams is if a QB scored absurdly low

Like when Vince Young scored a 6

Dunno, you have to work pretty hard to get a score that bad. Most of the Wonderlic questions are multiple choice with 3-5 answers. Just randomly picking answers should get you 10 or so points on average.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Dunno, you have to work pretty hard to get a score that bad. Most of the Wonderlic questions are multiple choice with 3-5 answers. Just randomly picking answers should get you 10 or so points on average.

Its also pretty well known that players literally blow off the exam. Frank Gore scored a 6 (has a learning disability) but is regarded as a brilliant football mind.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I had to take the Wonderlic for a job interview once. The actual questions are not hard at all, but time management is very much part of the process. It's 50 questions in 12 minutes, so you have an average of about 15 seconds per question. If you get caught on a tough one and take too long before you skip it, it can throw the rest of your test into disarray and lead to a bad score.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Only a wonderlic should maybe be a concern for teams is if a QB scored absurdly low

Like when Vince Young scored a 6

Didn't Manziel have the highest wonderlic score when he was drafted? Or, at least a relatively high one?

At least Vince Young had a good year or two in the league before falling apart.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 on the wonderlic so there goes that dumbass theory.

Well he did go to an Ivy League so I guess it's somewhat indicative of smarts. Smarts can only get you so far in this league though.

I think Watson will at least turn out to be a marginal starter (worst case scenario). I'd be worried about him picking up a pro style playbook immediately though on day one. I follow Jax as my second favorite team - they need a guy right now vs later. I'm really hoping they grab Fournette or trade down.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Fired Skins GM Scot McCloughan has been working as independent advisor via scouting service he started with several NFL teams at draft

Some in Skins management are not thrilled with that but he is allowed to do it as he was fired by Skins and running an independent scouting service he has no obligations to Skins

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I wouldn't worry about it. Its football. Clemson used pro concepts but with streamlined verbiage. He wins pre-snap and recognizes coverages. Bortles is in his 4th year and still can't. The whole "pro style" offense ******** is worn out. Nathan Peterman played under center but primarily ran jet sweeps and motion and roll outs. Looked like a high school scheme in its simplicity.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Seems like more often then not everyone pooh pahs the QBs for a while, then come draft day there's a race up the draft order to grab them.

See, 2011.

Gabbert sky rocketed up like a month before the draft and went what? 10th? Locker was thought to be #1 overall going into his final season and then started dropping to the point where he was rumored to fall to round 2 (I took him in RD2 in the HF Mock) but still went top 10, and then the Vikings panicked cause Locker was gone and drafted a 2nd/3rd round talent 12th overall.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Fired Skins GM Scot McCloughan has been working as independent advisor via scouting service he started with several NFL teams at draft

Some in Skins management are not thrilled with that but he is allowed to do it as he was fired by Skins and running an independent scouting service he has no obligations to Skins

That's what he was doing before he got the D.C. gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad