The 2017 NBA Finals Thread: Golden State vs Cleveland

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree. That's not what I'm doing. Just pointing out that when both reached the Finals, Lebron has been up against stiffer competition. Equally unfair to fault Lebron for that.

As I posted earlier, MJ faced really good teams in the finals too. Peak Worthy, Barkley, Drexler, Stockton, Malone,Payton, Kemp etc

MJ had a tougher path GETTING to the Finals than Lebron has had, but Lebron has faced substantially tougher competition in the Finals than MJ ever did.

At the end of Lebron's career when he holds the playoff and Finals records for points, assists and steals and is top 5 in rebounds and top 10 in blocks it's going to be comical to hear people reason as to how he still isn't the greatest ever. He will be well ahead of Jordan in all 5 of those categories. When we look back and see he made 9-13 Finals, at least 7 of which came consecutively, I'm not going to give a damn what his record is in those Finals if he keeps running up against a team as incredible as the Warriors. The last 4 teams Lebron has faced in the Finals (14 Spurs, 15-17 Warriors) are better than any team MJ ever had to face in the Finals.

News flash, Jordan plays SG and LeBron plays SF. He's going to end up getting more boards and blocks than Jordan.

Also hit me up when LeBron is DPOY AND scoring champion in the same year. or when he even wins a DPOY award.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
As I posted earlier, MJ faced really good teams in the finals too. Peak Worthy, Barkley, Drexler, Stockton, Malone,Payton, Kemp etc

News flash, Jordan plays SG and LeBron plays SF. He's going to end up getting more boards and blocks than Jordan.

Also hit me up when LeBron is DPOY AND scoring champion in the same year. or when he even wins a DPOY award.

LOL :laugh: it's THE FINALS. Of course Jordan played against some "real good teams" too. And of course he played some Hall of Famers. But not all "really good teams" are created equally. Jordan's opponents were not as fearsome as Lebron's and it's not really very close either.

You just gave me 7 players who were all very good, 6 of them Hall of Famers. Taking into account all 6 of MJ's Finals appearances he battled 9 players who are in the Hall of Fame. Off the top of my head Lebron has faced 11 almost all of them multiple times: Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd.

Ok, so since MJ's a SG, obviously he should have more assists and steals than a SF, right? Oh, wait... As I said, Lebron is going to dwarf MJ's playoff and Finals numbers when it's all said and done.

You're better than this, Voight. That was feeble.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
MJ is the GOAT but the whole 6-0 argument is so stupid. It always "matters" things don't only start mattering in the finals.

MJ gets a pass from the people who make this argument for losing to the Magic while LeBron gets punished for dragging a horrible Cavs team to the finals which they had no place participating in. Had LeBrons first Cavs not made the finals, which would have been entirely reasonable, then suddenly his finals resume would be better because there'd be one less loss that people actually look at. It makes no sense to punish people for getting further and ignoring when teams come up short.

Now this season he will be punished, while averaging a triple double in the finals.

Fact is LeBron has been on the favorite team in only two finals appearances. Admittedly one of these they blew it, and that is the only blight on his record.

At the end of the day, the fact that the argument the LeBron haters need to fall back on is that he isn't better than MJ is testament to his greatness in itself. How shameful that he is second to the greatest to ever play the game and one of the greatest athletes of all time period.

No other player is measured on this level, no other player would average a triple double in the finals and be criticised, for that to even be possible someone else would need to even be capable of making that achievement.

Fact is LeBron lost to a much better team, the Cavs were meant to lose this series, and LeBron still performed at a historical level. There's no damage to LeBrons legacy here.
The fact is Lebron needed to be part of a super team to start his legacy. He made the finals too early in his career and needed to guarantee a championship. He bailed on his team once so he could learn how to win from Wade and Riley. When he couldn't get them to spend more he bailed on them. Now he is on a team where they spent 20 million more than the champ and still lost. Jordan wasn't an opportunist, he was a leader who earned his titles. That's why he will always be better than Lebron.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
LOL :laugh: it's THE FINALS. Of course Jordan played against some "real good teams" too. And of course he played some Hall of Famers. But not all "really good teams" are created equally. Jordan's opponents were not as fearsome as Lebron's and it's not really very close either.

You just gave me 7 players who were all very good, 6 of them Hall of Famers. Taking into account all 6 of MJ's Finals appearances he battled 9 players who are in the Hall of Fame. Off the top of my head Lebron has faced 11 almost all of them multiple times: Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, Tony Parker, Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd.

Ok, so since MJ's a SG, obviously he should have more assists and steals than a SF, right? Oh, wait... As I said, Lebron is going to dwarf MJ's playoff and Finals numbers when it's all said and done.

You're better than this, Voight. That was feeble.
Almost all of those hall of famers who played against Lebron were drafted by those teams. Lebron broke the mold of leading his team to greatness. He bailed for greatness then all was forgiven and he lead a team to a title.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Food for thought.
This food didn't make me think much.

The fact is Lebron needed to be part of a super team to start his legacy. He made the finals too early in his career and needed to guarantee a championship. He bailed on his team once so he could learn how to win from Wade and Riley. When he couldn't get them to spend more he bailed on them. Now he is on a team where they spent 20 million more than the champ and still lost. Jordan wasn't an opportunist, he was a leader who earned his titles. That's why he will always be better than Lebron.
Spend on who?

Jordan > LeBron cause he didn't move in free agency. Sound argument.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

How does one bail on a team they are not contractually obligated to?

He needed to be on a team better than the crap he dragged to the finals that were one of the worst finals rosters ever. His legacy had already begun with that achievement.

Learn how to win by being finals MVP over Wade, ok.

How did LeBron not earn his titles lol? Did he not win? Did he not win finals MVP and dominate for each ring?

I never said LeBron was better but that's what these silly LeBron haters always need to keep clamoring on about. Second to Jordan, oh no.

Made the finals "too early" what kind of ridiculous statement is that. How can you make the finals too early? Sooner the better, this isn't a negative thing, dragging his team to overachieve is an accomplishment not a negative.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Almost all of those hall of famers who played against Lebron were drafted by those teams. Lebron broke the mold of leading his team to greatness. He bailed for greatness then all was forgiven and he lead a team to a title.

What a coincidence that guys drafted by an elite organization in sports like the Spurs stayed with them.

And the ones drafted by a crap organization like the Thunder have unsurprisingly dispersed.

It's easy to stay with the team that drafts you when they provide you with an elite contender to play on.

LeBron stuck it out on the Cavs for how many years? And all they provided him with was trash.

If MJ had been drafted by a crap team who surrounded him by rubbish that he couldn't win a title with we all know damn well with his character that would not have been acceptable because he wanted to win as much as anyone.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What a coincidence that guys drafted by an elite organization in sports like the Spurs stayed with them.

And the ones drafted by a crap organization like the Thunder have unsurprisingly dispersed.

It's easy to stay with the team that drafts you when they provide you with an elite contender to play on.

LeBron stuck it out on the Cavs for how many years? And all they provided him with was trash.

If MJ had been drafted by a crap team who surrounded him by rubbish that he couldn't win a title with we all know damn well with his character that would not have been acceptable because he wanted to win as much as anyone.
Jordan did go to a crap team and was the reason they turned it around. He lost to the Pistons 3 years in a row before beating them. and winning a championship. Lebron left a team that won 66 games and 61 games in his last 2 seasons before he bolted. A back to back MVP can't get those stars to come to his team? He went to the finals in his 4th season and thought he should be there. That was the plan all along with wade and Bosh. The Cavs were on there way to winning eventually but by the age of 25 he left because the fear of not winning as much as Jordan because his goal was to always be better.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I didn't say crap team I said crap organization, there's a very big difference. Almost always if you are an early pick you are going to crap team but some organizations are much better than others. LeBron went to a crap team, a crap organisation and dragged them through the mud to relevance, then they turned back to garbage as soon as he left.

No evidently he couldn't get those stars to go to that team, who wants to go to Cleveland? Who wants to live in Cleveland? And what was that organization doing about it? And therein lays the problem.

No they weren't on their way to winning eventually, and things had already gone on more than long enough.

What's wrong with him thinking he should be there, he got there lol he deserved to be, the rest of his scrub team were the ones who didn't, they over achieved because of him.

Why shouldn't his goal to be better and why shouldn't he try to reach that goal? Shouldn't everyone want to be better than MJ?

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

Good grief this is terrible reasoning.

Never ceases to amaze me the things Jordan fans will come up with to defend his status as GOAT.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone for still feeling as though Jordan is the GOAT over Lebron. There are a lot of reasons to believe that and it's definitely still the status quo for the most part. But to reason that it should be that way because Jordan never left via Free Agency is astoundingly stupid.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California

"Lebron James making the Finals as a 22 year old while dragging Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Larry Hughes there was a bad thing for Lebron's career. He should've waited longer to make the Finals and hope that a 33 year old Ilgauskas and 32 year old Hughes would improve while his team's ownership was unwilling to spend money and incapable of drafting more talent. THIS is why he will never be Jordan. Jordan never made the mistake of single handedly carrying a team to the Finals that was way overmatched once it got there. Lebron's legacy will always be tarnished for having recognized that the team he was drafted by was making no efforts to help him win."

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I agree. That's not what I'm doing. Just pointing out that when both reached the Finals, Lebron has been up against stiffer competition. Equally unfair to fault Lebron for that.
I agree and don't put a ton of emphasis on 6-0 or 3-5, or 8 vs 6. They're both two of the all-time greats that do it in different times with different styles.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Also, LeBron leaving for Miami shouldn't be held against him, nor should Durant going to the Warriors. My only beef with LeBron is how he did it. He embarrassed Cleveland pretty good with that decision promo, but I guess you can say he's made up for it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Good grief this is terrible reasoning.

Never ceases to amaze me the things Jordan fans will come up with to defend his status as GOAT.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame anyone for still feeling as though Jordan is the GOAT over Lebron. There are a lot of reasons to believe that and it's definitely still the status quo for the most part. But to reason that it should be that way because Jordan never left via Free Agency is astoundingly stupid.
It's not because he didn't leave via free agency it is he stayed and built his legacy bringing his team to greatness. During that era players were loyal and if they didn't win so be it. None of them came off as above the team. They either won or they didn't. they didn't manufacture teams in order to win, they did it through perseverance. What made Lebron come back to such a bad team then? He stayed in Miami just long enough to use them to achieve a small window of greatness. He learned how to win from Riley and Wade. He used that same format to win one in Cleveland. Now he is facing probably one of the best teams ever assembled who are using that format and there is a good chance he bails in a year. Nowadays players make so much money that basketball is not that important. To have the nerve to believe that you should be able to takes games off to rest during the season is a slap in the face to everyone. You are so entitled that you think you don't have to play by the same rules. The reason why the season is long is so that the best teams who can handle it are crowned champions. Not the teams that assume they will be in the finals need their rest to be at their best. That is not sport.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Did anyone complain when Pop rested his old farts? Players rest in baseball all the time too.

If anything, the NBA (and NHL) seasons are just far too long.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Man, to think if the Cavs hadn't had that 2 minute brain freeze late in game 3, we'd be at halftime of game 6 right now.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
It's not because he didn't leave via free agency it is he stayed and built his legacy bringing his team to greatness. During that era players were loyal and if they didn't win so be it. None of them came off as above the team. They either won or they didn't. they didn't manufacture teams in order to win, they did it through perseverance. What made Lebron come back to such a bad team then? He stayed in Miami just long enough to use them to achieve a small window of greatness. He learned how to win from Riley and Wade. He used that same format to win one in Cleveland. Now he is facing probably one of the best teams ever assembled who are using that format and there is a good chance he bails in a year. Nowadays players make so much money that basketball is not that important. To have the nerve to believe that you should be able to takes games off to rest during the season is a slap in the face to everyone. You are so entitled that you think you don't have to play by the same rules. The reason why the season is long is so that the best teams who can handle it are crowned champions. Not the teams that assume they will be in the finals need their rest to be at their best. That is not sport.

So what you're saying to me is that if Lebron had stuck it out in Cleveland with a team and ownership group completely unfit to win anything, you'd have more respect for him and consider him closer to MJ's level? Sorry, not buying that. MJ doesn't take that 2007 Cavs team to the Finals even in his prime, let alone at 22.

As I said, lots of reasons to still believe MJ > Lebron but loyalty to the team that drafted him is simply not one of them.

And what format are you talking about? If you want to throw out the all too generic term, super team, go ahead. But the "format" in Golden State is nothing like what Lebron's Miami or Cleveland teams did besides the fact that all 3 teams are/were very talented.

The whole rest thing I won't even bother addressing. That's just ridiculous to think should make a difference especially considering MJ took multiple years off to "play" baseball.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad