Celebrity Death: The 2016 Celebrity death toll

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm not trying to be callous about this. All deaths are sad.

However, film, TV and music are three very mature industries. There's a bit of a numbers game going on. Enough celebrities are now of an age where deaths aren't all that uncommon.

In other words, I would caution anyone about being surprised if 2017 is the same.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, we gotta reach a tipping point with these icons eventually.

Like just going by knighted distinguished British Gentlemen in 2015 we lost Sir Christopher Lee. Within the next 1-10 years he could be followed by (in order of oldest) David Attenborough, Sean Connery, Ian McKellan, and Patrick Stewart.

Not sure how Sir Sean Connery has been doing, but we've really seen Sir David Attenborough slow down in his involvement with BBC's nature programs.

That's the thing. 2016 is just a warm up. Celebrity deaths are only going to increase, and it's all due to us greatly increasing the number of celebrities we have beginning in the 60s.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Should add Jean Lapierre to the list, former canadian Liberal MP who was very active in the media afterwards.

Died march 29th along with a few siblings in a plane crash on the way to their dad's funeral.

There were also a few Quebec celebrities who died this year other than René Angelil but I'm not sure it's worth mentioning here since they're most likely unknown to everyone.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

However, film, TV and music are three very mature industries. There's a bit of a numbers game going on. Enough celebrities are now of an age where deaths aren't all that uncommon.

In other words, I would caution anyone about being surprised if 2017 is the same.

Yes and no. Ali and Gordie Howe aren't a surprise given their age and condition, but both huge names. Bowie and Alan Rickman are of a certain age I guess. Prince and George Michael aren't.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes and no. Ali and Gordie Howe aren't a surprise given their age and condition, but both huge names. Bowie and Alan Rickman are of a certain age I guess. Prince and George Michael aren't.

People do die, somewhat unexpectedly on an individual basis, in their 50s all the time. People who have a history of drug use are far more susceptible as well. My best friends mom just died too, essentially from natural causes but everyone agrees that drugs took years off her life. She was in her 50s. Prince and George Michael might have been out of the blue, but I wouldn't call either death a surprise.

There are more and more celebrities getting into the range where this can happen, is my point.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Well, this list got Wham!ed over the weekend.

Some "actor, comedian, rapper" named Ricky Harris died yesterday too, 54...not even sure who he was. Collaborated with Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and Dr. Dre in the 90s and had appearances on a bunch of TV shows and appeared in a few movies including Heat.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
People do die, somewhat unexpectedly on an individual basis, in their 50s all the time. People who have a history of drug use are far more susceptible as well. My best friends mom just died too, essentially from natural causes but everyone agrees that drugs took years off her life. She was in her 50s. Prince and George Michael might have been out of the blue, but I wouldn't call either death a surprise.

There are more and more celebrities getting into the range where this can happen, is my point.
Funny thing is, it seems the vast majority of major icons of my generation aren't making it to 60 :laugh:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Prince is the big bomb? I think Ali was even though it was expected.

Ali's death, like Gordie Howe's, were entirely predictable. Ali's health was in decline for two decades, it's astounding he lasted so long. Howe was a very old man. But Prince's age, plus the fact that his nearly adult-life-long addiction to opiates was largely unknown to the public, came as a complete shock. Even Bowie was unexpected because he wasn't old by today's standards (especially for wealthy celebrities) and he managed to keep the fact he had cancer quiet until he died.

George Michael however turned out to be as big a bomb as Prince, if only because he's been out of the public eye for so long with no real news. Who knew he'd been back in rehab this year and reportedly had an ongoing heroin addiction?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ali's death, like Gordie Howe's, were entirely predictable. Ali's health was in decline for two decades, it's astounding he lasted so long. Howe was a very old man. But Prince's age, plus the fact that his nearly adult-life-long addiction to opiates was largely unknown to the public, came as a complete shock. Even Bowie was unexpected because he wasn't old by today's standards (especially for wealthy celebrities) and he managed to keep the fact he had cancer quiet until he died.

George Michael however turned out to be as big a bomb as Prince, if only because he's been out of the public eye for so long with no real news. Who knew he'd been back in rehab this year and reportedly had an ongoing heroin addiction?

You were honestly surprised these guys had drug problems?

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
You were honestly surprised these guys had drug problems?

With Prince? Yes. He was a Jehovah's Witness and use of ANY drugs (even prescription) is against their faith. He also seemed to always be very together, and I'd never heard rumors of drug use connected to him.

Carrie Fisher now can be added to the list at age 60 :cry:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Not a secret in the UK, he hit the news every few years for another hard drugs related incident.

Now add Carrie Fisher to the list.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
You forgot Harambe.

I didn't. :(

C0pxyFTWgAAueim.jpg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Yeah, the next few years are poised to be heartbreaking. Big big names.

Guys like Sir Paul, Captain Kirk, the Stones, The Man With No Name, The Joker, Hannibal, Rocky, Micheal Corleone, etc.

I tried my best not to use actual names out of respect. This isn't a death pool thread.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Updated through 12/28, though I'm positive I'm missing people (saw Pat Harrington mentioned somewhere, didn't he die in 2015?). Only notable death so far today is Keion Carpenter, a former NFL player who died aged 39 due to a fall. He wasn't a big name star, and I'd never heard of him before so he won't make the list (not to diminish the impact to his family, friends or fans).

And no, I'm not putting the damned gorilla on the list...no one had even heard of it outside New York until the incident with the child that led to it being shot. If Koko the gorilla dies (and for goodness sake, she's a couple weeks younger than my older sister :amazed: Going to be 46 in 2017) I'd mention her since she was actually famous in the 80s.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->