Prospect Info: The 2015 Draft

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It looks more and more like the 2015 NHL Draft will perhaps be the year that stands out in Jets 2.0 history. Connor is going to be a star. Roslovic will eventually make it to the lineup. Foley is playing well in College, and by 22, could be a depth forward. Niku has to be considered a gem in the rough, and could potentially replace Enstrom or Stuart. Gennaro is looking solid, and could also be a bottom six depth player. Spacek is turning heads, and can be a breakout player in the AHL next year.

Hats off to the scouts for their work in selecting the class of 15'

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Appleton and coke with lots of ice..... please.

He was just named CAPTAIN of his Michigan team and led the team in scoring last year which was his draft plus 2 season.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ah, memories of Summer 2015...

Morrissey WJC Gold Medal, WJC All Star, WHL Champion
Petan WJC Gold Medal, WHL Playoffs Scoring Leader
Comrie WJC Gold Medal, top10 goalie prospect in the league
Kostalek QMJHL Defenseman of the year
Copp signed ELC, getting lots of praise, ready to make the team next season
Poolman playing well in college

I hope the development of the '15 picks will be a bit more straight forward. Looking good so far.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Foley, Spacek, Gennaro, Niku. The fact that we have seven realistic shots at a NHL player two years after the draft is unreal.

I think we will end up with four, maybe even five, and any more than that would leave me in awe.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I remember the jets boards making a bit of a big deal with some.of these players after training camp or whatever it's called

Wondered what's been up with them and why I haven't heard anything from them

What's Foley and niku doing to get you excited?
Replacing Stuart doesn't sound that great lol
A lot of defenseman out there that can do that job

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I hope the development of the '15 picks will be a bit more straight forward. Looking good so far.

Well Morrissey looks like a top pairing dmen.

Cope is a solid depth forward

Petan is an NHL player that likely would look better right now if given am opportunity.

Poolman still could be a quality dmen.

Way too soon to give up on 2013. At minimum it will produce 3 NIL players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I remember the jets boards making a bit of a big deal with some.of these players after training camp or whatever it's called

Foley and Roslovic were standouts for me at the last development camp. Roslovic went on to have an outstanding season in the AHL and Foley became a leader and strong producer on his NCAA team. Foley looked quick and strong, and a beast along the boards. He played with very good pace - quick reactions. You could just tell that he processed the game faster than a lot of the other forward prospects. At this point, I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the NHL in a bottom-6 role.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Niku's doing pretty well over in the Finnish league. 8th highest scoring defenseman in the league and he's only 20. Skilled, puck-moving defenseman who was a bargain pick in the 7th.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Foley and Roslovic were standouts for me at the last development camp. Roslovic went on to have an outstanding season in the AHL and Foley became a leader and strong producer on his NCAA team. Foley looked quick and strong, and a beast along the boards. He played with very good pace - quick reactions. You could just tell that he processed the game faster than a lot of the other forward prospects. At this point, I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the NHL in a bottom-6 role.

Wasn't Foley drafted in the 7th round or something?
Got no problem with a 7th rounder making it on a bottom 6

Niku's doing pretty well over in the Finnish league. 8th highest scoring defenseman in the league and he's only 20. Skilled, puck-moving defenseman who was a bargain pick in the 7th.

Yeah I'll take it. Got no problem with deep picks becoming depth players
Injuries will happen and we need all the depth we can take

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wasn't Foley drafted in the 7th round or something?
Got no problem with a 7th rounder making it on a bottom 6

Yeah I'll take it. Got no problem with deep picks becoming depth players
Injuries will happen and we need all the depth we can take

Foley is a 3rd rounder.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
13 looked like this 2 years ago as well. Many have fallen off the radar. Still a good draft though.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Well Morrissey looks like a top pairing dmen.

Cope is a solid depth forward

Petan is an NHL player that likely would look better right now if given am opportunity.

Poolman still could be a quality dmen.

Way too soon to give up on 2013. At minimum it will produce 3 NIL players.

I haven't "given up" on the 2013 draft. Just pointing out that '13 looked like sunshine and roses 2 years ago, and since then:

Morrissey didn't make the team, took an extra year in the AHL to get ready, then was ready.
Petan made the team, was Thorburned, was demoted, made the team again, was demoted again, made the team again, was scratched and Thorburned again, who knows.
Comrie had two <0.910 seasons behind the (probably) worst defense of the AHL, played one NHL game, who knows.
Kostalek had a hard time trying to be an impact AHL player (still has).
Copp was Thorburned more than most, he has 31 points in 142 NHL games, didn't make the team out of camp last season (but was called up soon).
Poolman continued playing well in college, now signed his ELC.

Development isn't linear. There are no guarantees.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Not sure where you are going with this. Morrissey at 21 y/o was pushing into top pairing territory as a rookie. As a 13th OA pick this alone would make any draft successful. Petan has had his ups and downs put at minimum will eke out an NHL career as a 3rd/4th line guy who can play PP minutes. As a 2nd round pick he will have more success than most. Comrie remains a very good goalie prospect. Kostalek looks like a bust. Copp is already an NHL regular and really looked to find a role in the back half of last season. He will have a career as a 3/4 center and a guy who can move up the lineup without looking out of place. Poolman is still unknown but based on is NCAA career projects as a guy who will get some NHL time. You already have 3 NHLers with 2 more still probable.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Not sure where you are going with this. Morrissey at 21 y/o was pushing into top pairing territory as a rookie. As a 13th OA pick this alone would make any draft successful. Petan has had his ups and downs put at minimum will eke out an NHL career as a 3rd/4th line guy who can play PP minutes. As a 2nd round pick he will have more success than most. Comrie remains a very good goalie prospect. Kostalek looks like a bust. Copp is already an NHL regular and really looked to find a role in the back half of last season. He will have a career as a 3/4 center and a guy who can move up the lineup without looking out of place. Poolman is still unknown but based on is NCAA career projects as a guy who will get some NHL time. You already have 3 NHLers with 2 more still probable.

Where I'm going with this:

A top pairing defenseman, a 3rd/4th line guy who can play PP minutes, a good goalie prospect, a career 3/4 center, and a guy who will get some NHL time is pretty good for a draft, but it's not this: (replace 2015 with 2013)
It looks more and more like the 2015 NHL Draft will perhaps be the year that stands out in Jets 2.0 history.

I'm just saying that we might need to wait with statements like that. In 2015, we had the QMJHL defenseman of the year and the WHL leading playoff scorer, and today you call them "a bust" and "a 3rd/4th line guy". Let's tone it down a bit before we call the 2015 draft the one that changed the franchise.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

A top pairing defenseman, a 3rd/4th line guy who can play PP minutes, a good goalie prospect, a career 3/4 center, and a guy who will get some NHL time is pretty good for a draft, but it's not this: (replace 2015 with 2013)

I'm just saying that we might need to wait with statements like that. In 2015, we had the QMJHL defenseman of the year and the WHL leading playoff scorer, and today you call them "a bust" and "a 3rd/4th line guy". Let's tone it down a bit before we call the 2015 draft the one that changed the franchise.

Got you but your post was easily read the other way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He has more skill than Thorburn.

In his D+2 year Thor played 64 games in the OHL and scored 71 pts. He was not without skill. A late 2nd rd pick who plays 750 NHL games is a pretty successful pick. I think he was a decent 4th liner until the last year or two. The problem came when he played up.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I never said. Check the author of the quote.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Foley, Appleton and Gennaro are approximately equally likely to get contracts. The other 5 all get contracts. Foley is a little ahead but not much. So which one are you leaving out? Appleton? Why?

As it stands right now they are all better than at least some others who have been signed to ELC'sELC's

- Gennaro should get an E.L.C. by Wed.
-SPACEK should get an E.L.C by July 15 th for the next season.

- Foley should get his E.L.C. in March of 2018 so he can sign a 3 year year E.L.C and get a extra $92.5 k bonus for hanging out on the JETS practice squad ( black aces) durring our playoff run next year.

- Appleton ( same as above) but as CAPTAIN of M.S.U. He may stay for his 4th year of college.
However he may get tired of losing and sign with the Jets in March 2018.

A clean sweep of 8 for 8 draft picks signing E.L.C.s in the 2015 draft is likely if it's up to Jets management (IMO).

I think Appleton is under rated here on HF Jet boards.
I see him being better than a point per game player next season for M.S.U.

Edit ..... Wrong thread I though I was in 2015 Jets draft analysis.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In 2015 draft we had;
- 2 1st rounders
- 2 7th rounders
- Our 5th rounder was traded to Carolina along with a 2016 3rd rounder for Tlusty.

-Carolina picked Smallman (RW) who had 30 goals and 79 points in the Q this year. He also played his last game in the C.H.L. last night in the memorial Cup. He also had 22 points in 18 playoff games this year.

Just a (F.Y.I.) on those that do not care about giving away or collecting late round picks. ( re recent Stafford trade)

Also the Jets were heavy on U.S. players ( in 2015 draft ) and may have picked Troy Terry from U.S.A. Hockey W.J.C. who went 10 picks after our 5th pick that we traded. He had 45 points in 35 games for the N.C.C.A champion Denver.

Or they may have used on Defence and picked CONNOR Hobs (RD) from Regina Pays. He was drafted 5 picks after our 5th that we traded. He only scored 85 points in 67 games this year and 24 points in 23 playoff games as the Regina Pats top D-man.

As good as we say our 3015 draft was ......... It could have been better.

Edit..... Wrong thread ....I thought I was still on Jets 2015 draft analyse.

:laugh: You still are.
Don't know where you posted these. I'm assuming someone moved them for you.

The thing is that the '15 class was epic. In 3-4 years time we may look back on it as the best ever. If not it will be close. It was not only exceptionally strong at the top it was also incredibly deep.

Still, 8 of 8 earning ELC's would be very good. Even though some will be longshots to make the NHL they all have realistic possibilities to make it.

The downside is that other teams had similarly strong drafts. The class was just that good. We may not have gained much ground but I don't think we will have lost much either which is a good result starting with #17.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: You still are.
Don't know where you posted these. I'm assuming someone moved them for you.

The thing is that the '15 class was epic. In 3-4 years time we may look back on it as the best ever. If not it will be close. It was not only exceptionally strong at the top it was also incredibly deep.

Still, 8 of 8 earning ELC's would be very good. Even though some will be longshots to make the NHL they all have realistic possibilities to make it.

The downside is that other teams had similarly strong drafts. The class was just that good. We may not have gained much ground but I don't think we will have lost much either which is a good result starting with #17.

It was a great draft to have a 2nd 1st round pick. Roslovic looks to be a gem.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I'm as optimistic about this class as I was the 2013 group. The number of high quality prospects is the main reason for optimism. There will undoubtedly be a few that flop. Could be anything of them who disappoints - even Connor or Roslovic.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was a great draft to have a 2nd 1st round pick. Roslovic looks to be a gem.

Absolutely, yes!
It would also have been a great draft to have our usual 6-9th seed but somehow we managed to get a top 10 (according to some at least) pick anyway. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad