Prospect Info: The 2013 Winnipeg Jets Draft Picks

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Morrissey, Petan and maybe Comrie will be great adds. As for the rest, the ones who make it seem more as replacements for existing parts:

Copp = Slater 2.0
Lipon = Thorburn 2.0
Kostalek = Stuart 2.0
Kichton = Postma 2.0

Looking back at our past drafts, I wish we had taken more boom/bust prospects in rounds 5-7 (ex. Arvidsson, J. Subban, Timashov, Gavrikov, Korostelev, etc). Guys like Poolman, Kichton and Karlstrom - even if they make it - were pegged as 4th liners or bottom pairing defensemen.

I agree about shooting for skill and talent over grind qualities, but that's what the Kichton and Karlstrom picks were. Both skilled offensive defensemen. Kichton came with skating issues and Karlstrom's highest consistent level was only Swedish junior and there was no clue how he'd progress (unfortunately it looks like he hasn't).

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think they will. Suspect Chicago will mess up this year

I suspect Chicago will be every bit as good, if not better...

Panarin, Anisimov, Tikhonov and playoff Teuvo should offset the loss of Saad and Sharp. Not to mention Dano in the AHL. The only real question is; can van Riemsdyk and Daley offset the loss of Oduya?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Draft picks:

2011:

#7 Scheifele (JETS)
#67 Lowry (JETS)

#78 Serville (AHL Moose)
#119 Yuen (ECHL- not with Jets organization)
#149 Brassard (AHL Moose)
#157 Kasdorf (NCAA - traded to Sabres)
#187 Harstead (AHL Moose)

2012:

#9 Trouba (JETS)
#39 Sutter (bust/ECHL- not with Jets organization)]
#70 Kosmachuk (AHL Moose)
#130 Hellebuyck (AHL Moose)
#160 Olsen (AHL Moose)
#190 Phillips (NCAA)

2013:

#13 Morrissey (AHL Moose)
#43 Petan (JETS)
#59 Comrie (AHL Moose)

#84 Lodge (AHL Moose)
#91 Lipon (AHL moose)
#104 Copp (JETS)

#114 Kostalek (AHL Moose)
#127 Poolman (NCAA)
#190 Kichton (AHL Moose)
#194 Karlstrom (NAHL)

IMO, 2014 and 2015 are too early to tell how our draft picks will turn out. I've highlighted the players I believe will either have made the Jets roster, or have a good shot of making the roster in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
#13 Morrissey
#43 Petan
#59 Comrie
#84 Lodge
#91 Lipon
#104 Copp
#114 Kostalek
#127 Poolman
#190 Kichton
#194 Karlstrom

Call me an optimist, but I have a feeling that looking back in 10 years time, many will bring up the class of 2013, and say it was pivotal in taking the Jets organization to the next level, in terms of depth and eventual success as a franchise.

Thoughts?

Thoughts on this draft a month into this season? If I recall there was a thread this past summer asking people to rank all the drafts we had done, and 2013 had gotten a lot of hate from people saying it was overrated.

But people were down on Morrissey, Petan and Comrie during that time.

Now, Morrissey looks like a top 4 D, Comrie has great numbers in the AHL. Petan is looking good in the NHL with his most recent opportunity to play with better linemates. Copp looks like a good 4th line C. Lipon and Kichton are very good AHLers who might be able to carve out an up and down NHL career (likely with another team but still). Lodge looks like a flop and Kostalek has been stagnant in the AHL, and Karlstrom never stood a chance. Poolman could be a top 6 NHL dman. Looks like a good draft to me.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
I like that you can pretty much hang your hat on at least two guys from every draft so far.

2011 w/ Scheif and Lowry
2012 w/ Trouba and Helle
2013 w/ Morrissey and Petan, HM to Comrie and Copp
2014 w/ Ehlers and... Glover? De Leo?
2015 w/ Connor and Roslovic, maybe Harkins or Foley or Spacek

If only we all knew looking back on this thread what the 2016 draft had in store for us.. :D

It's amazing how much has changed in one calendar year. Laine. Ladd trade brings in Dano and Stanley. Scheifeles development to a #1C. Byfuglien extension. Trouba drama. Roslovic tearing up the AHL. Tanev signing. Pavelec AHL backup. Kyle Connors amazing college season. Wonder what we'll be talking about at this time next year.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If only we all knew looking back on this thread what the 2016 draft had in store for us.. :D

It's amazing how much has changed in one calendar year. Laine. Ladd trade brings in Dano and Stanley. Scheifeles development to a #1C. Byfuglien extension. Trouba drama. Roslovic tearing up the AHL. Tanev signing. Pavelec AHL backup. Kyle Connors amazing college season. Wonder what we'll be talking about at this time next year.

My best guess: And sticking with the 2013 draft topic...is Comrie ready to be our #1 goalie.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2013 is starting to look pretty darn good. It's looking more and more like we are coming out of it with a top 4 defenseman with first pairing upside and a top 6 centre with possible top line upside. Copp is a solid bottom 6 player and we still have Comrie developing well in the minors. This draft already looks to really advance this franchise.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
2013 is starting to look pretty darn good. It's looking more and more like we are coming out of it with a top 4 defenseman with first pairing upside and a top 6 centre with possible top line upside. Copp is a solid bottom 6 player and we still have Comrie developing well in the minors. This draft already looks to really advance this franchise.

if we can add a 5/6 D-Man by signing Poolman this spring, that would be icing on the cake for 2013 draft.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad