Boston Bruins The 2010s | A Decade in Review

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Bruins have played their final game of the 2010s … They have a 446-245-97 record for 989 points since 1/1/10 … That ranks 4th overall in the NHL in wins (1st in regulation wins w/362) & 3rd overall in points.

They have scored 2,326 goals (5th) & allowed 1,928(tied for best GAA at 2.44). - Their 20.4 power play %age ranked 5th while their 83.3 penalty killing %age was 2nd … They had the league’s best faceoff %age at 52.2.

Brad Marchand ranked 9th among all goal scorers with 283, led the NHL w/26 SHGs & was tied for 2nd w/55 GWGs.

Patrice Bergeron led all players w/a 58.5% faceoff proficiency & w/9,079 faceoff wins.

Bruins ranked 1-2-3 overall in +/- for the decade w/Marchand at +217, Zdeno Chara at +208 & Bergeron at +203

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Cam Neely has overseen a decade of excellence - The Boston Globe

With all respect to Jeremy Jacobs, at the ownership helm since 1975; Patrice Bergeron, who was playing at or near the peak of his powers for most of the 2010s; and Zdeno Chara, who very well may be chugging along in No. 33 when we review the 2020s, there is one figure that represents the past decade in Bruins history.

Cam Neely was named team president on June 16, 2010, charged with making the hockey and business decisions that shaped the franchise. They included the May 2015 hire of a general manager, Don Sweeney, who hired a coach, Bruce Cassidy. Both internal promotions, and the right ones. Did Neely himself choose all 140 players who wore Black and Gold the past 10 years? No, but in the sense the hockey buck stops at his desk, he was responsible for every one.

The on-ice results are what matter most, and since the 2010-11 season only Pittsburgh and Washington have a better winning percentage (.633) than Boston, which has one Stanley Cup title and three Final appearances (tied for most).

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Probably one of the most heartbreaking decades you can have while still winning the Cup. Blown 3-0 lead, 4 Game 7 losses on home ice, 2 Cup Finals losses. It should be positive to reflect on but it's tough to not think of missed opportunities.

Reactions: Midship

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2010 doesn't seem like that long ago, but a lot has changed in hockey since then. As a sign of that, the last Bruins game of the previous decade was a victory over the Atlanta Thrashers.

The decade did not start well. They went on a ten game losing streak in January 2010. Matt Cooke ruined Marc Savard's career in March. They blew a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 game 7 lead. Despite it all, I have somewhat fond memories of that team and think they were the building block for everything to come in the next few years. They punched above their weight and good stories like Miroslav Satan helped them upset Buffalo. Savard came back and scored the OT winner in game 1 against the Flyers. Lucic looked like he was taking over as a playoff force in the first period game 7. Despite losing the series, which honestly was due to injuries, I think that team showed character.

In late January 2010, in the midst of that losing streak, if someone came from the future and told us that the decade would have 3 conference championships, a president's trophy, and a Stanley Cup in store, I'm not sure we'd have believed it.

Reactions: sarge88 and CDJ

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Probably one of the most heartbreaking decades you can have while still winning the Cup. Blown 3-0 lead, 4 Game 7 losses on home ice, 2 Cup Finals losses. It should be positive to reflect on but it's tough to not think of missed opportunities.

The team, with its present core/leadership, has underachieved. It should have at least two Stanley Cups.

Reactions: Midship

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I get only doting on the negatives since we're still in the midst of it, but you could say that about any team and any period of time.

If someone mentions Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins, is your first reaction "Underachievers, what could've been. They never should've lost to the Habs in 1971, and should've kicked the Flyers' ass in 1974. They should have at least 5 cups. Only 2 with that core? What a disappointment!"?

As much as the 2010s Bruins were a couple breaks and a couple plays away from at least another cup or two, if the Habs squeak out an OT goal in either game 5 or 7 in 2011, and if the Leafs don't get lazy after going up 4-1, we could've ended the decade with no cups and one finals appearance, etc.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Best decade of Bruins hockey since the 1970s.

The Bruins are one of the definitive franchises of this past decade IMO, alongside Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, and Washington.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s been an excellent decade.

I see people playing the “what if” game but you can do that about every title won or title appearance ever. Hell some people do it with all of the pats Super Bowl wins to discredit Brady lol

im happy with what they did this decade. It could have been better, but overall they’ve been in that elite tier for most of 10 years and I can’t complain about that

Reactions: BruinDust

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Amazing decade. Fell just short of a dynasty, but still a damn good 10 years to hang their hats on and be proud of.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Loved reading the highlights in the original post.

Hate what age has done to my memory.

I truly remember more from the 1982 - 1992 teams than the 2010 - 2019 teams.

Of course from 82 -92 I went from 12 - 22 and had nothing more important than school and playing sports going on in life.

Reactions: Runner77

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Could have/should have won at least one more cup but I`m nitpicking, the fact that this team, outside of two seasons(that still produced 90pts) put forth a team that was legitimately in the Cup conversation

Many here may not remember the decade before, empty seats all over the TD, 3 DNQ`s and not one trip outside of the 2nd round of the playoffs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would say overachieved.

I'm not sure how they overachieved. They possessed the world's best defensive forward, the world's best defensive D-man, had solid starting goaltenders throughout the decade, two excellent systems coaches, and typically had a solid supporting cast.

Reactions: Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You don't think they should have won anything?

I don't think their talent level (top to bottom) was such that they should have had that much success.

Marchand was the only top 10 scorer the Bruins had this decade (tied for 5th twice). Bergeron tied for 18th once, as did Pasta and Krejci 19th once.

Much credit needs to go to coaching and resilience of the players. An excellent culture based on defense first and "playing the right way".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad