Speculation: The 2010 NHL Entry Draft

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
What a disaster that draft year was. The Panthers had 3 picks in the 1st round, and another 3 in the 2nd.

Our picks by the end of the second round.
X5MACLd.png

Here are some of the guys taken off the board in the same two rounds:
Pick #Player
1​
Taylor Hall
2Tyler Seguin
4Ryan Johansen
5Nino Niederreiter
7Jeff Skinner
9Mikael Granlund
12Cam Fowler
14Jaden Schwartz
16Vladimir Tarasenko
24 Kevin Hayes
26Evgeny Kuznetsov
28Charlie Coyle
30Brock Nelson
37Justin Faulk
47Tyler Toffoli
59Jason Zucker
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All armchair GMing aside. How would our team look today had one or two of the names from the lovely table above land in our laps, as oppose to the likes of Guddy, Quinton Howden, or Bjugstad.

Could we have used some of that 2nd round capital to trade back up in the 1st?

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Talk about having bad luck at lottery. Had we won or NSH moved up a spot we could be a very different team right now

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
The 2010 draft should be the core of our team right now how many picks we had. Disgraceful.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Can I axe you where you get your information?
About what? Amongst?

Just think about it. The only reason we ever change words is if two vowels are going to line up back-to-back.

There's no fundemental use for the ST at the end of among. There's never a situation where it's needed.

Some places still use it because they always have, but there's no real reason to say amongst other than to try smart.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Ok you literally don't even need to be an arm chair GM to have nailed some of these. Tallon/Luce/scout completely blew this one. I don't care that we got Bjugstad.

Ok Gudbranson, fine, yeah I get it we needed a player projected to be Chris Pronger. But the 2nd first was just an awful decision. Forget missing on Kuznetsov.

Get this.

Dale Tallon decided to trade down to pick a tall lanky kid who was one of top HS players in the nation + another tall, lanky OHLer with a lot of speed.

Instead of selecting Vladimir Tarasenko, a player from the KHL, who was putting up points there as a 17, 18 year old. Vlad had good size and was playing against argubly the 2nd best league in the world. Not just playing, but playing well, and maybe even dominating. His stats were very solid for a teenager, for anyone! Dale and Luce could've both gone to take a leak and let the auto pick select Tarasenko who was projected to go in the top 10. Lol.

But I agree with the OP. It was a disaster.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
About what? Amongst?

Just think about it. The only reason we ever change words is if two vowels are going to line up back-to-back.

There's no fundemental use for the ST at the end of among. There's never a situation where it's needed.

Some places still use it because they always have, but there's no real reason to say amongst other than to try smart.

Irregardless, are you sure that’s correct? :sarcasm:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Ok you literally don't even need to be an arm chair GM to have nailed some of these. Tallon/Luce/scout completely blew this one. I don't care that we got Bjugstad.

Ok Gudbranson, fine, yeah I get it we needed a player projected to be Chris Pronger. But the 2nd first was just an awful decision. Forget missing on Kuznetsov.

Get this.

Dale Tallon decided to trade down to pick a tall lanky kid who was one of top HS players in the nation + another tall, lanky OHLer with a lot of speed.

Instead of selecting Vladimir Tarasenko, a player from the KHL, who was putting up points there as a 17, 18 year old. Vlad had good size and was playing against argubly the 2nd best league in the world. Not just playing, but playing well, and maybe even dominating. His stats were very solid for a teenager, for anyone! Dale and Luce could've both gone to take a leak and let the auto pick select Tarasenko who was projected to go in the top 10. Lol.

But I agree with the OP. It was a disaster.
Guess who had the best season in the KHL for a 17 years old?
Guess who had the best season in the KHL for a 18 years old?

Guess who had the 207th best season in the USHS-MN for a U18?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I really hate these what if threads. You can go to every single draft and see that we missed on great players. Three of the six picks played in the NHL regularly. Thats hardly a "terrible" draft. Really the only player that was a dud considering where he was picked is Gudbranson. Howden, Bjugstad were later picks. And Petrovic, Brickley, McFarland were second round picks what exactly do you expect when you pick in the second round ?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
What a disaster that draft year was. The Panthers had 3 picks in the 1st round, and another 3 in the 2nd.

Our picks by the end of the second round.
X5MACLd.png

Here are some of the guys taken off the board in the same two rounds:
Pick #Player
1​
Taylor Hall
2Tyler Seguin
4Ryan Johansen
5Nino Niederreiter
7Jeff Skinner
9Mikael Granlund
12Cam Fowler
14Jaden Schwartz
16Vladimir Tarasenko
24 Kevin Hayes
26Evgeny Kuznetsov
28Charlie Coyle
30Brock Nelson
37Justin Faulk
47Tyler Toffoli
59Jason Zucker
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All armchair GMing aside. How would our team look today had one or two of the names from the lovely table above land in our laps, as oppose to the likes of Guddy, Quinton Howden, or Bjugstad.

Could we have used some of that 2nd round capital to trade back up in the 1st?

Completely different, but maybe not better actually. Or maybe a lot better. We select different players in that draft, then it is most likely our record would have been different the following seasons, leading to different picks in the following drafts. And maybe those picks would have been worse. Or maybe we would have won the lottery and got McDavid!

Yeah, this draft in hindsight hasn't worked out well for us. But choosing better players from this draft doesn't mean we would be a better team today.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I really hate these what if threads. You can go to every single draft and see that we missed on great players. Three of the six picks played in the NHL regularly. Thats hardly a "terrible" draft. Really the only player that was a dud considering where he was picked is Gudbranson. Howden, Bjugstad were later picks. And Petrovic, Brickley, McFarland were second round picks what exactly do you expect when you pick in the second round ?
We’ve been through it a million times. People who don’t understand drafting or the odds of draft picks think it’s a disaster. No one takes into account the timing of draft or anything else either. Pointless to even post on here reguarding drafts

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Trying .... not .... to .... react ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->