The 2009 Draft Revisited

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We rightfully crow about how well the 2008 entry draft did for our roster and prospect pool. As I was playing my fantasy team over the weekend I was intrigued by how well Eric Gelinas has come out of the blocks for the Devils this year and since I picked him up about 10 days ago it struck me that he was a late 2nd round pick for the Devils in 2009 (54th overall). A 6'4", 210 lbs PMD and PP quarterback gets my attention pretty quickly (i.e.-Hamilton).

So I looked up the 2009 draft on HockeyDB and noted that this draft has rapidly become a pretty strong one. We all know how strong the top of the draft was that year but I don't remember at the time how deep the draft was considered:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2009e.html

87 of the 211 players drafted (41%!) have already played an NHL game with the average age about 22. That's a hell of a success ratio for so young a group I would think. The 2008 draft has a rate of 45% and the 2010 has a rate of 24%. Seems like the 2009 draft was pretty darn good league-wide. Although I really like what I've seen so far from DeHaan, in retrospect it might have been a lot better to not have made that trade to move up for him. The actual trade was:

26 (actual pick Kyle Palmieri)
37 (actual pick Matt Clark)
62 (actual pick Anders Nilsson - how did we get that one back?)
92 (actual pick Casey Cizikas)

for

12 (DeHaan)
77 (actual pick Matt Hackett)

I know I am leaving out a number of interim trades that mixed this analysis up, but if we had not made that trade we would have likely had quite a different draft, although many still believe DeHaan could have been there at 26. BTW, Minnesota took Nick Leddy at 16, which would have been a nice pick too for us.

What strikes me about the 2009 draft is how strong that second round looks in retrospect and we really did whiff on that round. I also noted that TWELVE 4th rounders from that draft have already played in the NHL. That's a heck of a good number for so recent a draft year.

Looking back at that draft, given how many picks we started with, it could be argued that round 2 (as well as what we could have done in round one) was the one part of recent drafts that the Isles wish they could have back. Even with JT, Casey and Lee and DeHaan this draft might well have been as good or EVEN BETTER than the great 2008 haul.

Man, just Gelinas alone would have made this one epic if he keeps this up . . .

And one last swipe at our 2009 draft - what a terrible year for goalies that draft has been so far and we draft two of them with the 31st and 62nd picks. The only even partially impactful goalie in 2009 so far is Robin Lehner at 46th overall. And BTW the 2008 and 2007 goalie drafts completely suck so far too! 2006 and 2005 were jackpot years for goalies. Not sure what to make of that but maybe bunching goalie picks in drafts is not necessarily the best strategy?

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I hate what could have been posts about drafts. Nobody ever has a perfect draft.

The 2009 draft, even excluding no-brainer JT, has the potential to be a great draft for the Isles still...

If de Haan can be a top-4 dman (which looks relatively likely based on his early play), to go with a solid checking line forward (Cizikas), and maybe a backup goalie that is more than most teams get in a draft. Not to mention Lee is still a good prospect as well.

Not many teams end up with 3 regulars in a draft. If the Isles do, that is pretty damn impressive.

As for the de Haan trade, two things:
1) don't forget, after making 13 picks the year before, the Isles couldn't really make 10+ picks again in 09 and expect to sign everyone.
2) it isn't just about whether de Haan was the best player as much as that the staff was most confident in him. Consider that maybe if they stayed at 26 he is gone and the Isles end up with Philip Paradis or Landon Ferraro. The scouts may have thought other players had just as high of a potential, but de Haan's hockey sense made him so safe that (outside of injuries) there was little chance of him busting. That alone makes trading up worth it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I hate what could have been posts about drafts. Nobody ever has a perfect draft.

The 2009 draft, even excluding no-brainer JT, has the potential to be a great draft for the Isles still...

If de Haan can be a top-4 dman (which looks relatively likely based on his early play), to go with a solid checking line forward (Cizikas), and maybe a backup goalie that is more than most teams get in a draft. Not to mention Lee is still a good prospect as well.

Not many teams end up with 3 regulars in a draft. If the Isles do, that is pretty damn impressive.

As for the de Haan trade, two things:
1) don't forget, after making 13 picks the year before, the Isles couldn't really make 10+ picks again in 09 and expect to sign everyone.
2) it isn't just about whether de Haan was the best player as much as that the staff was most confident in him. Consider that maybe if they stayed at 26 he is gone and the Isles end up with Philip Paradis or Landon Ferraro. The scouts may have thought other players had just as high of a potential, but de Haan's hockey sense made him so safe that (outside of injuries) there was little chance of him busting. That alone makes trading up worth it.

Howie mentioned something about how he scored 'off the charts' on the psychological test. Apparently that is why the Isles had to have him, and didn't want to risk waiting around for him to fall.

As for the draft itself, I agree. Right now it's looking like a good one for us. deHaan's recent play kind of changed the outlook a little bit. Not to mention the way the two goalies have looked this year. Nilsson looks like he can at least be a sufficient backup, and Koskinen has become a legit prospect again with his KHL play.

Lee's play this year has also been very encouraging. If his chemistry with Strome carries over into the NHL, you can add a top-6 player to the list of things we got with this draft.

Tavares alone makes this a successful draft. Adding a top-4 D, a top-6 forward, a fan favorite bottom-6er, and a #1 or 2 NHL goalie makes it one of our best in quite some time. Still some time to go though before we know for sure what we have.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We don't really know what we have in deHaan yet, but I think he's going to be a top-4 NHL defenseman and I think he was the right pick for this team. I was thrilled when he was selected by us.

Although I do like Palmieri, draft pick trades are always a crapshoot.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Trades aside the only pick I wasn't happy with was the Koskinen pick. The 5th round pick I wanted Olivier Roy and couldn't believe he wasn't picked but was ok with it.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I did not like the Dehaa trade up or the Koskinen pick. Looking back the players I was hot for were Budish, Gelinas, Despres, Doherty, Mcnabb, Panik, Silfverberg, Olson and Hackett.
A hand full of the players named above are poised to have decent careers but hindsight is 20/20. Many will never make an impact but out of all the players named MCNABB was my favorite and was bummed when they did not grab him. I still feel like he is going ot have a nice career.

startainfection*

imagine if we took o'riely instead of Koskinen

we would've gotten 3 of our 4 centers out of that draft tavares-o'rielly-nielsen-cizikas is pretty damn good

i also thought that the isles were taking krieder when they kept on trading up

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
imagine if we took o'riely instead of Koskinen

we would've gotten 3 of our 4 centers out of that draft tavares-o'rielly-nielsen-cizikas is pretty damn good

i also thought that the isles were taking krieder when they kept on trading up

O'Reilly would be on another team because Garth wouldn't be able to take his crap. If you thought Nino's situation was bad, think about how Garth would have reacted if a player refused to report to the team during RFA negotiations until he got 5 mil per year and eventually signed an offer sheet with another team. Oh, and his dad also gets involved in the mess.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If all we get out of this draft is a franchise center and a legit top pairing defensemen, I'm sold. We'll see about de Haan, but geez, I'll take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad