The 2006 Draft Revisited

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
I know it's really early to be evaluating the 2006 draft, but I'm just curious if anybody knows what players have fallen or excelled since draft day a year ago. Included is a list of the players drafted in the first two rounds in the order that they were drafted.

ERIK JOHNSON
JORDAN STAAL
JONATHAN TOEWS
NICKLAS BACKSTROM
PHIL KESSEL
DERICK BRASSARD
KYLE OKPOSO
PETER MUELLER
JAMES SHEPPARD
MICHAEL FROLIK
JONATHAN BERNIER
BRYAN LITTLE
JIRI TLUSTY
MICHAEL GRABNER
RIKU HELENIUS
TY WISHART
TREVOR LEWIS
CHRIS STEWART
MARK MITERA
DAVID FISCHER
BOBBY SANGUINETTI
CLAUDE GIROUX
SEMEN VARLAMOV
DENNIS PERSSON
PATRIK BERGLUND
LELAND IRVING
IVAN VISHNEVSKIY
NICK FOLIGNO
CHRIS SUMMERS
MATTHEW CORRENTE
TOMAS KANA
CARL SNEEP
IGOR MAKAROV
MICHAL NEUVIRTH
FRANCOIS BOUCHARD
JAMIE MCGINN
YURI ALEXANDROV
BRYCE SWAN
ANDREAS NODL
ONDREJ FIALA
CORY EMMERTON
MICHAEL RATCHUK
RILEY HOLZAPFEL
NIKOLAI KULEMIN
JEFF PETRY
JHONAS ENROTH
SHAWN MATTHIAS
JOE RYAN
BEN MAXWELL
MILAN LUCIC
NIGEL WILLIAMS
KEITH SEABROOK
MATHIEU CARLE
ARTEM ANISIMOV
DENIS BODROV
BLAKE GEOFFRION
MIKE WEBER
ALEXANDER VASYUNOV
CODEY BURKI
JESSE JOENSUU
SIMON DANIS-PEPIN
DICK AXELSSON
JAMIE MCBAIN

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
i know artem anisov had a great playoffs in the RSL. he was buried on the 4th line, until the playoffs came, and was playing on the first line.

Sags had a decent year, and played pretty well for hartford during their playoffs. so i would say both rangers picks progressed

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
are you guys really that bored you gotta revisit a draft a year ago? i thought 2 years was bad but you cannot go back and say right now who id rather have, its just not possible

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
From a Buffalo perspective, Persson would be closer to the start of the 3rd Round where he should have been drafted anyways and Enroth would be closer to the beginning of the 2nd round.

MNWild1096

Oct 16, 2006
maybe im a little biased but i think James Sheppard is one of the most complete players out of the draft class. he plays very good defensively and can put up some great numbers. He plays on both the powerplay and penalty kill, and he's got good size!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ryan White was among the top players in the WHL this year imo, so as a 3rd round pick his stock is likely gone up.

Matheiu Perreault @177th surely would have his stock go up.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Claude Giroux had a monster season in the QMJHL, he is emerging as a very promising forward, as is 2nd round selection Andreas Nodl.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Ryan White was among the top players in the WHL this year imo, so as a 3rd round pick his stock is likely gone up.

Matheiu Perreault @177th surely would have his stock go up.

Agree about White. I was pretty high on this guy a few years ago. He should be a candidate for next year's junior team.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Statistics, especially in the russian leagues, dosn't really give any info on how well he played.

Stats are stats even in Africa, let alone Russia.;)

Alexandrov wasn't anything special, maybe next season will reveal his potential.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
The Kings first round draft picks haven't really moved up OR down. Trevor Lewis had a good season with the Attack (29G/44A in 62GMS) and joined the Monarchs for their AHL playoff run. He scored 6 PTS (4G/2A) in 8 games with the Monarchs. Jonathan Bernier was MVP in the Q playoffs and led his team to the Memorial Cup and he was the main reason why his team was even competing in some of the Memorial Cup games. It really is too early to judge these guys.

bagh

Jun 3, 2007
Granted it's early but I doubt anyone would dispute Staal ranking number one and Kessel #2 at the moment. I wanna se how backstrom does this year though.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Granted it's early but I doubt anyone would dispute Staal ranking number one and Kessel #2 at the moment. I wanna se how backstrom does this year though.

I would dispute Staal #1, I'd still take Johnson..:D

HABS_FrEaK

Aug 3, 2005
from the 2nd round, I would say that MAtt Carle and Jeff Petry are the best of the lot, probably both near the top 10 overall now.

You do know taht that is Mathieu Carle of the Montreal Canadiens and not Matt Carle of the San Jose Sharks right?

Just making sure since Im a Habs fan and I was happy to see someone be so high on Carle

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Actually, I would dispute both of those. Making it to the NHL at 18 is great, but it doesn't mean you're going to have a more promising career then a guy who doesn't debut until 19, 20, or 21. I think the top 5 picks would probably go in the same order again if you re-drafted.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
from the 2nd round, I would say that MAtt Carle and Jeff Petry are the best of the lot, probably both near the top 10 overall now.

You do know taht that is Mathieu Carle of the Montreal Canadiens and not Matt Carle of the San Jose Sharks right?

Just making sure since Im a Habs fan and I was happy to see someone be so high on Carle

Yeah, I think he was thinking of the Sharks prospect.

Also, Tlusty had a great playoff run in the O this year, and Kulemin may very well be one of the better steals, as he was like 2nd in the RSL in goals with 27.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006

Errr how exactly can you say that, just because they have played in the NHL and Toews, Backstrom and Johnson haven't? Johnson would still go #1. I think the top 5 would stay exactly the same.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Errr how exactly can you say that, just because they have played in the NHL and Toews, Backstrom and Johnson haven't? Johnson would still go #1. I think the top 5 would stay exactly the same.

Johnson did nothing last year to deserve his no. 1 ranking unless throwing your stick somehow became an important skill. He whined all year while he was at Minnesota about how he wasn't being used properly, than he did nothing in the playoffs when they actually game him a chance. He is slow footed and not very smart. Why do you think he is still no. 1?

I think Staal and Toews would be ranked higher on every NHL Team's ranking sheet if they did this all again today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad