The 1996 Blues

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Few teams in the last 20 years have intrigued more than the 1996 St. Louis Blues.

Here you have a team that traded Curtis Joseph and acquired Grant Fuhr and Wayne Gretzky.

Lost to Detroit in the 2nd Round in one of the best playoff series I've seen and then goes into general obscurity collapse.

Hull left for Dallas 2 years later remember.

If they beat the Wings in that 2nd Round, what's their chances against the Avs?

Also on the 96 playoffs, what if Fuhr doesn't get injured?

What were the chances of the Blues winning the Cup that season?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Mike Keenan put that team together and he tore it apart. Hull constantly feuded with him and Gretzky didn't resign with the Blues after three months with the team. They had the big names but I think that there was just so much turnover of personnel that there was no real chemistry. Maybe if Gretzky had had comeback the next season and had time to work on his game with Hull they could have had something...The Blues also had and traded Dale Hawerchuk and Esa Tikkanen in 95-96 so it seems the 80s were well represented.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Mike Keenan put that team together and he tore it apart. Hull constantly feuded with him and Gretzky didn't resign with the Blues after three months with the team. They had the big names but I think that there was just so much turnover of personnel that there was no real chemistry. Maybe if Gretzky had had comeback the next season and had time to work on his game with Hull they could have had something...The Blues also had and traded Dale Hawerchuk and Esa Tikkanen in 95-96 so it seems the 80s were well represented.

Should be noted that Keenan aquired players and then drove them out of town, like in the case of Gretzky/Corson incident.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Intriguing yes, but you could say the same about the free-spending Rangers teams of the late 90s and early 2000s.

I remember watching a fair bit of them that year, and what really stood out was their lack of team speed. Played in some awful clutch-and-grab games that were a hallmark of that era. They were a mediocre .500 team for nearly the entire season, and were it not for the stellar play of Grant Fuhr, they might very well have missed the playoffs. They went 7 games with a Red Wings team that was starting to lose steam, and I have a hard time believing they would've been able to match up with the Avs. To me the Fuhr question is moot, because Jon Casey was outstanding in his place (other than getting lit up in one of the Red Wings games, game 2 IIRC).

As another poster mentioned, there was the perceived negative effect that Mike Keenan had on the team, though I remember quotes from Brett Hull and Chris Pronger to the effect that Keenan basically galvanized the players through a collective hatred for him.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Intriguing yes, but you could say the same about the free-spending Rangers teams of the late 90s and early 2000s.

I remember watching a fair bit of them that year, and what really stood out was their lack of team speed. Played in some awful clutch-and-grab games that were a hallmark of that era. They were a mediocre .500 team for nearly the entire season, and were it not for the stellar play of Grant Fuhr, they might very well have missed the playoffs. They went 7 games with a Red Wings team that was starting to lose steam, and I have a hard time believing they would've been able to match up with the Avs. To me the Fuhr question is moot, because Jon Casey was outstanding in his place (other than getting lit up in one of the Red Wings games, game 2 IIRC).

As another poster mentioned, there was the perceived negative effect that Mike Keenan had on the team, though I remember quotes from Brett Hull and Chris Pronger to the effect that Keenan basically galvanized the players through a collective hatred for him.

Keenan would have been back if they had made the Conference Finals.

Oilmageddon*

Few teams in the last 20 years have intrigued more than the 1996 St. Louis Blues.

Here you have a team that traded Curtis Joseph and acquired Grant Fuhr and Wayne Gretzky.

Lost to Detroit in the 2nd Round in one of the best playoff series I've seen and then goes into general obscurity collapse.

Hull left for Dallas 2 years later remember.

If they beat the Wings in that 2nd Round, what's their chances against the Avs?

Also on the 96 playoffs, what if Fuhr doesn't get injured?

What were the chances of the Blues winning the Cup that season?
The Blues had many great teams in the 1990s But mindblowing Chemistry destroying trades at deadline destroyed any Cup hopes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keenan's management of the 1996 Blues is perhaps my most hated example of team building, that is completely mortgage the future for a last ditch attempt at glory. In a funny way, their opponent in the first round, the Toronto Maple Leafs did the same thing, but had less success. Basically he tried to do what the Rangers did in 1994 by loading up on Dynasty era Oilers and Blackhawks foot soldiers and did so by trading youngish, popular stars like Curtis Joseph and Brendan Shanahan. The resulting roster loaded up with greybeard and muckers guys like Matteau, Creighton, Huddy, Hudson, Kravchuk, Noonan, Anderson, Gilbert, McRae was just as unglamorous as you could get.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Keenan's management of the 1996 Blues is perhaps my most hated example of team building, that is completely mortgage the future for a last ditch attempt at glory. In a funny way, their opponent in the first round, the Toronto Maple Leafs did the same thing, but had less success. Basically he tried to do what the Rangers did in 1994 by loading up on Dynasty era Oilers and Blackhawks foot soldiers and did so by trading youngish, popular stars like Curtis Joseph and Brendan Shanahan. The resulting roster loaded up with greybeard and muckers guys like Matteau, Creighton, Huddy, Hudson, Kravchuk, Noonan, Anderson, Gilbert, McRae was just as unglamorous as you could get.
This kind of teambuilding worked for millenium Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad