The 1992-93 Quebec Nordiques

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Some of the details behind the Nordiques trading Ron Hextall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hextall

i think it's very tempting to look back and say that quebec traded the better goalie and the lower pick they traded ended up being the bigger star. but they were going to lose hextall anyway, so trading #23 for #14 is basically getting an upgrade for free. and actually, i'll go on record as saying that i'd rather have walked away from the '93 draft with deadmarsh than bertuzzi all day, every day. the avs had won eight playoff rounds and deadmarsh had put up four 20 goal seasons before bert ever broke 20 goal barrier. by the time bert hit 30 goals in a season, deadmarsh had already been traded for rob blake. if i'm pierre lacroix, i'm laughing.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think it needs to be noted that when Patrick Roy was traded to the Avs he was at a real low in his career. There were some questions regarding how much he had left.

He and the Habs had missed the playoffs for the first time in ages in 94-95, and then came out 0-4-0 in 95-96 while getting their doors absolutely blown off. The 11-1 shellacking at the hands of Detroit was only one of the lowlights of what had been an extremely uneven year thus far for St. Patrick. And 'uneven' is being charitable.

That said, it was certainly thought at the time that The Canadiens hadn't got quite as much as they should have from the Avs. it was a bit of a panic move. However, it wasn't as big of a fleecing at the time as it would turn out to be.

All of that said, Roy (to some extent) resurrected his career behind a great team. Who's to say that Belfour, Joseph, or Thibault couldn't have done the same?

Just food for thought.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I think it needs to be noted that when Patrick Roy was traded to the Avs he was at a real low in his career. There were some questions regarding how much he had left.

He and the Habs had missed the playoffs for the first time in ages in 94-95, and then came out 0-4-0 in 95-96 while getting their doors absolutely blown off. The 11-1 shellacking at the hands of Detroit was only one of the lowlights of what had been an extremely uneven year thus far for St. Patrick. And 'uneven' is being charitable.

That said, it was certainly thought at the time that The Canadiens hadn't got quite as much as they should have from the Avs. it was a bit of a panic move. However, it wasn't as big of a fleecing at the time as it would turn out to be.

All of that said, Roy (to some extent) resurrected his career behind a great team. Who's to say that Belfour, Joseph, or Thibault couldn't have done the same?

Just food for thought.

...followed by winning 12 of the next 13 games. He was a .917 through 21 games going into that game against Detroit. His career didn't need a resurrection, and the questions being asked in 1995-96 were no different than the ones being asked during the series against Quebec in 1992-93. Of course it was bad trade at the time. The rumors included names like Ed Belfour, Alexei Yashin, Curis Joseph, Adam Deadmarsh, and Joe Nieuwendyk. Hell, at the time the Canadiens were winless, Colorado offered then-GM Savard a 1st Round Pick, Stephane Fiset, and Owen Nolan. Houle gave up Roy and Mike Keane without getting a big name in return. Horrible trade then and now.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
maybe the worst trade of all time, don't get me wrong. but to be fair, thibault was considered by many to be the best goalie prospect in a generation.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Since Quebec wouldn't get Roy they would most likely have gone for another goalie. Maybe we would've been talking about Guy Hebert, Moog or Sean Burke instead of Roy in the '96 playoffs.

And as for Sundins postions, he could play at all forward positions (Leafs switched him around alot in the late 90s) and was practicing some defenseman positioning tho I dont think they ever used him as that.

Burke was just settling in as a number 1 for Hartford at the time, and he probably would've fit in quite well with the Nordique roster. A trade around Burke and Thibealt/Fiset would've been very interesting

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Hell, at the time the Canadiens were winless, Colorado offered then-GM Savard a 1st Round Pick, Stephane Fiset, and Owen Nolan.
And Savard took the deal. He was all set to pull the trigger on it when he got fired; right after the aforementioned 0-4 start.

Houle gave up Roy and Mike Keane without getting a big name in return. Horrible trade then and now.
Keane was the Canadiens captain and I will never forget the reaction of the Canadiens locker room when that happened. They knew they were losing Roy, because Houle had suspended him. They all went out and did the "It's a tough spot for us but we'll move on," type of interviews and statements while waiting for the inevitable trade to get done. When Keane was traded the room shattered. Guys were speechless, in tears, in total disbelief that they'd just lost their captain (Keane was beside himself too; much like Kirk Muller before him, he never saw it coming). It's to their great credit that they pulled themselves together and still made the playoffs.

To think that was just the beginning of the Reggie Houle nightmare for Canadiens fans.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
And Savard took the deal. He was all set to pull the trigger on it when he got fired; right after the aforementioned 0-4 start.

Keane was the Canadiens captain and I will never forget the reaction of the Canadiens locker room when that happened. They knew they were losing Roy, because Houle had suspended him. They all went out and did the "It's a tough spot for us but we'll move on," type of interviews and statements while waiting for the inevitable trade to get done. When Keane was traded the room shattered. Guys were speechless, in tears, in total disbelief that they'd just lost their captain (Keane was beside himself too; much like Kirk Muller before him, he never saw it coming). It's to their great credit that they pulled themselves together and still made the playoffs.

To think that was just the beginning of the Reggie Houle nightmare for Canadiens fans.

and can you imagine the drop in locker room morale going from maybe the toughest pound-for-pound guy in the league in mike keane, a true heart and soul warrior, to pierre turgeon? i mean, at least one habs player had already called out turgeon for being heartless to the press, albeit anonymously.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Boy whats the with the irbe hate in this thread. Irbe was great. What are you guys talking about. The 93-94 wings were not some ****** team either they were good. People just always seem to overlook the fact that the sharks around the last half of the season were one of the best teams in the league. People forget they got off to that horrible start. And delt with random injurys paticularly larionovs who they only won 3 games the whole year when he was not in the line up.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Boy whats the with the irbe hate in this thread. Irbe was great. What are you guys talking about. The 93-94 wings were not some ****** team either they were good. People just always seem to overlook the fact that the sharks around the last half of the season were one of the best teams in the league. People forget they got off to that horrible start. And delt with random injurys paticularly larionovs who they only won 3 games the whole year when he was not in the line up.

I don't see a single person in this thread saying that they hate Arturs Irbe.

For that matter, saying that Irbe's team beat the Red Wings doesn't necessarily mean that people think Irbe is a terrible goaltender.

You seem to be reading things that aren't there.

Anyhow, I addressed Irbe in the other thread that you mentioned. Do you want to talk about Irbe there, or here?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
They'Re still stuck with Fiset or Thibeault as starting netminders, and thus, they don't win.

Note : They didn't NEED somebody as good as Roy. But without Roy, and with no changes on that front, no Cup.

or they trade for another goalie. Around this time (mid-90s) they could have traded for or signed Rhoades, Belfour, Joseph, Vernon, Irbe, Hrudey, Puppa amongst others and yea they could prolly win a cup or two with these goalies and that team they could even win with Fiset.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
anyone know where i can find out who the staff were from Gm to Ass GM to HC to assistant coaches to list of scouts that they had?

Scouts: Bob Mancini, Bill Underwood, Orval Tessier, Simon Nolet, Frank Jay, Don Paarup, Sheldon Ferguson, Guy Lafrance, Don Boyd, Yvon Gendron, Pierre Gauthier...

I know Marc Crawford was the last head coach before him was Pierre Page but cant find any list of who the assistant coaches were

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
or they trade for another goalie. Around this time (mid-90s) they could have traded for or signed Rhoades, Belfour, Joseph, Vernon, Irbe, Hrudey, Puppa amongst others and yea they could prolly win a cup or two with these goalies and that team they could even win with Fiset.
Very true. The core was more than healthy and heading into prime years. A goalie could be the last missing piece, but let´s not put in the perspective "Roy or bust".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad