The 1992-93 Quebec Nordiques

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Discuss *what*? Feel free to start us off.

Open forum. Thoughts of the team.... memories..... etc. To me they seemed to be one of the most exciting teams in recent memory. They had an ax to grind after the Lindros snub and I remember them being a treat to watch.

Sakic, Sundin, Nolan, Ricci, Rucinsky, Kovalenko, Young, Duchesne, Foote, Gusarov, Hextall, etc.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A team that would never have won anything in Quebec.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

I can't agree with you more. Roy never gets traded to the Nordiques have they stayed in Québec. And I highly doubt Avs gets a cup without Roy in net.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Why do you say that? Because they never would have gotten Patrick Roy? I actually think they would have won. And I think: what if they never traded Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark??? Could you imagine a core of....

Sakic
Sundin
Forsberg
Nolan
Ricci
Deadmarsh
Kamensky
Rucinsky
Young
Kovalenko
Lapointe
Simon
Foote
Duchesne
Finn
Leschyshyn
Gusarov
Hextall
Fiset
Thibault

That is downright frightening.

Kamensky - Sakic - Nolan
Rucinsky - Forsberg - Sundin
Deadmarsh - Ricci - Kovalenko
Simon - Lapointe - Young

:nod:

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
The team lacked experience, a top D and a top G (which they would later acquire with Roy and Ozolinsh/Ray Bourque). As a Habs fan that hated the Nordiques, part of me was happy that they moved when they did... I knew that they were only a couple of pieces away from being a great team

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Claude Lemieux was also an important piece, which they wouldn't have without giving up Sundin, then giving up Clark.

ot92s

Nov 5, 2011
why do you say that? Because they never would have gotten patrick roy? I actually think they would have won. And i think: What if they never traded mats sundin for wendel clark??? Could you imagine a core of....

Sakic
sundin
forsberg
nolan
ricci
deadmarsh
kamensky
rucinsky
young
kovalenko
lapointe
simon
foote
duchesne
finn
leschyshyn
gusarov
hextall
fiset
thibault

that is downright frightening.

Kamensky - sakic - nolan
rucinsky - forsberg - sundin
deadmarsh - ricci - kovalenko
simon - lapointe - young

yikes!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why do you say that? Because they never would have gotten Patrick Roy? I actually think they would have won. And I think: what if they never traded Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark??? Could you imagine a core of....

Sakic
Sundin
Forsberg
Nolan
Ricci
Deadmarsh
Kamensky
Rucinsky
Young
Kovalenko
Lapointe
Simon
Foote
Duchesne
Finn
Leschyshyn
Gusarov
Hextall
Fiset
Thibault

Kamensky - Sakic - Nolan
Simon - Lapointe - Young

They'Re still stuck with Fiset or Thibeault as starting netminders, and thus, they don't win.

Note : They didn't NEED somebody as good as Roy. But without Roy, and with no changes on that front, no Cup.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Claude Lemieux was also an important piece, which they wouldn't have without giving up Sundin, then giving up Clark.

That Sundin trade ending well for them (even if Sundin > Lemieux, for their need Lemieux was great, and you get to trade Nolan for Ozolinsh that was also great for them) was a bit lucky.

if they don't do the excellent 3 team trade of Clark, Thomas, Lemieux and got stock with him, the sundin for Clark and Lefevre trade would have look weak imo.

For the no cups team if they stay in quebec, maybe yes, maybe no, not playing against the Wings and Stars when going to the cup could have help them in a way ;)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With that core in front of him, I disagree. But that's part of the fun, right (neither of us will ever know for sure)?

lol, indeed.

Roy had indeed quite a team ahead of him. But the Avs -- and the Nords, for that matter -- always seemed to get the ugly ginger kid treatment as far as head coaches are concerned.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Theyre not gonna win a 7 game series vs Detroit going with Fiset or Thibeault. We dont "know", but we know.

Just take a look at that series loss to Montreal in '93. To me that sums it up perfectly. Run and gun talent wasn't enough to overcome the team with the experience, goaltending, defense, and all-roundedness.

That changed dramatically later on obviously.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If Sakic, Forsberg and Sundin is on the same team then who moves to wing? Sundin? Sundin in his early years could fly quite a bit but the heavy center he became later wouldn't have worked on the wing. Him and Forsberg on the same line though, that's some hypothetical.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Sakic
Sundin
Forsberg
Nolan
Ricci
Deadmarsh
Kamensky
Rucinsky
Young
Kovalenko
Lapointe
Simon
Foote
Duchesne
Finn
Leschyshyn
Gusarov
Hextall
Fiset
Thibault

Kamensky - Sakic - Nolan
Simon - Lapointe - Young

i think you're grossly underestimating the effect roy, claude lemieux, and mike keane had on that team. not just on the ice but in the locker room. why did that extremely talented team implode in '93? a complete lack of veteran guidance and playoff knowhow.

does joe sakic become joe sakic without that montreal trio? because up to '96, he could easily have been on the pierre turgeon track.

and as for the real hypothetical of this thread, the what-if about the team staying in quebec, roy is obviously not an option. but then maybe ed belfour is? the hawks traded him for ulf dahlen, terreri, and petr sykora's journeyman brother. seems like thibault, ricci, and one of rucinsky and kovalenko probably would have been enough to overwhelm that offer.

also, very key pieces that haven't gotten enough love yet: ozolinsh and lefebvre, and to a lesser degree krupp. nolan and sundin were all-stars and became lower-tier franchise guys, but when your d corps is some combination of foote, finn, leschyshyn, gusarov, karpa, wolanin, huffman, laukkanen, and garth butcher's corpse. when duchesne held out and forced a trade, the nords immediately went on to miss the playoffs. they bring in lefebvre and an above average offensive guy in krupp and, presto, back in first place in the division.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Theyre not gonna win a 7 game series vs Detroit going with Fiset or Thibeault. We dont "know", but we know.

In 1994, the Wings lost to a team with Arturs Irbe in goal.

When I say that we don't know, I meant it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Sakic
Sundin
Forsberg
Nolan
Ricci
Deadmarsh
Kamensky
Rucinsky
Young
Kovalenko
Lapointe
Simon
Foote
Duchesne
Finn
Leschyshyn
Gusarov
Hextall
Fiset
Thibault

Kamensky - Sakic - Nolan
Simon - Lapointe - Young

Great group of forwards, but with an average group of defensemen and average forwards, I can't see them beating Detroit, Dallas, or New Jersey.

The late 90s Avs got away with having an average group of defensemen because they had Patrick Roy to cover for them. (Eventually, they got Bourque and Blake, but that was pretty far away from 1992-93).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->