Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
your wayyyyy wrong on Leclaire and Kastitsyn

db23 said:
I am getting a lot of flack for suggesting that certain top 10 picks could turn out to be total flops, so I went back 10 years in the draft to check things out. That led to the "Jason Bonsignore Award" in honour of the 4th overall pick in the 1994 draft. I offer some annual nominees for the award, suggest your own.

1994 - Jason Bonsignore
1995 - Terry Ryan
1996 - Alex Volchkov
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk
1998 - Jeff Heerema
1999 - Pavl Brendl
2000 - Lars Jonsson, Brent Krahn (tie)
2001 - Pascal Leclaire
2002 - Peter Taticek, Eric Nystrom (tie)
2003 - Andrei Kastitsyn

The worst offenders at the draft board seem to be Canadian teams, interestingly enough. Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, along with the Rangers.

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
nurminen31 said:
2000- Alexei Mikhnov(what ever happened to this guy)
We should find out soon enough: his contract in Russia is up. He came to Edmonton (first time in NA since the draft) during the stretch to watch a game and skate on the ice. KLowe is hoping to get him signed and bring him over for next season but he would likely garner more money in Russia.

Watch for him on Team Russia in the World Championships later this month.

I don't think it's fair to call him a bust. He is playing to his potential perfectly, he just happens to be doing it across the pond.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
kyle said:
We should find out soon enough: his contract in Russia is up. He came to Edmonton (first time in NA since the draft) during the stretch to watch a game and skate on the ice. KLowe is hoping to get him signed and bring him over for next season but he would likely garner more money in Russia.

Watch for him on Team Russia in the World Championships later this month.

I don't think it's fair to call him a bust. He is playing to his potential perfectly, he just happens to be doing it across the pond.
thanks for the update-Lars Jonnson's a better choice for sure

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
1994: Jason Bonsignore (Edmonton)
1995: Terry Ryan (Montreal)
1996: CRAIG HILLIER (Pittsburgh)
1997: Robert Dome (Pittsburgh)
1998: Michael Henrich (Edmonton)
1999: Scott Kelman (Phoenix)
2000: Artem Kryukov (Buffalo)
2001: Adrian Foster (New Jersey)
2002: Jonas Johansson (Colorado)
2003: Brent Burns (Minnesota)

Whatever happened to Artem Kryukov?

thestonedkoala

Dude Brent Burns is a long ways from being even on that list. He had trouble fitting in on wing so they moved him back on the blueline. He played a pretty but nonflashy game. He laid Modano out and unloaded some nice slappers from the blueline. The Wild are salivating on his progress.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
nurminen31 said:
He kept asking Edmonton for three fiddy! :joker:
(don't worry if you don't get it, its a stupid reference)
He's actually looking pretty good right now. WE were calling him the Loch Ness Monster because we never saw or heard anything from him, but things look promising. Good season in Russia, might be over here next year.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
WVUCanesFan said:
94 - Bonsignore
95 - Kelly, Ryan
96 - Volchkov, Craig Hiller (23rd OA)
97 - Tkachuk
98 - Heerema

I'm not going to post anything after 98 as it's still too early to tell. Brendl had bust written all over him... till this season with Carolina.
That's funny! I used to play against Hillier back in Halifax, and that guy is terrible. I couldn't believe that he was drafted, let alone 23rd overall. He hasn't even made it to the NHL as far as I've heard!

edit: hockeydb confirms that he is sucking everywhere including some Columbus (not blue jacket) team. I think Wendell Young (who spends a lot of time in NS apparently) must have slipped Pittsburgh some crack before the first round and suggested they take a chance on Craig.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
nurminen31 said:
He was in town here (E-town) a couple of weeks ago talking with Lowe. There are details concerning this whole issue with russia trying to keep their players and the cba coming up. He was at the last one or two home games as a guest of Lowe. We might see him in camp next year depending on whether they ironed out contract issues or not (I think the oilers had a deadline to sign him to something as well... I don't have all the details yet).

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
s7ark said:
That's funny! I used to play against Hillier back in Halifax, and that guy is terrible. I couldn't believe that he was drafted, let alone 23rd overall. He hasn't even made it to the NHL as far as I've heard!

edit: hockeydb confirms that he is sucking everywhere including some Columbus (not blue jacket) team. I think Wendell Young (who spends a lot of time in NS apparently) must have slipped Pittsburgh some crack before the first round and suggested they take a chance on Craig.
HIllier is was playing in the Netherlands last year

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
Here's my picks:

1995- Teemu Riihijarvi
1996- Alexander Volchkov
1997- Kevin Grimes
1998- Michael Henrich
1999- Denis Shvidki
2000- Lars Jonsson
2001- Alexander Svitov
2002- Ryan Whitney (Gut Feeling)
2003- Thomas Vanek (Another Gut Feeling)

thestonedkoala

How about throwing the name Patrik Stefan out there. He's pretty much a bust.

X-SHARKIE

Sharks get one of mine...

1995 Teemu Riihijarvi :( luckily it was a bad year in the first place.
1996: Volchkov
1997: Tkachuck...remember the hype?
1998: Michal Henrich..
1999: Alot of Busts...Stefan takes the cake...1st overall and these results?
2000: Brent Krahn...steal of the draft...steal of the draft....ended up the bust of the draft.
2001: Chistov: might put it together...at this point it gets a bit hard to say bust...but with his hype and his results...bust so far. Or mabey just sophmore jinx...
2002: So far: Peter Taticek...No way jose is Koivu a bust.

Startin in 2000 it's hard to label these young guys busts.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
X-SHARKIE said:

1995 Teemu Riihijarvi :( luckily it was a bad year in the first place.
1996: Volchkov
1997: Tkachuck...remember the hype?
1998: Michal Henrich..
1999: Alot of Busts...Stefan takes the cake...1st overall and these results?
2000: Brent Krahn...steal of the draft...steal of the draft....ended up the bust of the draft.
2001: Chistov: might put it together...at this point it gets a bit hard to say bust...but with his hype and his results...bust so far. Or mabey just sophmore jinx...
2002: So far: Peter Taticek...No way jose is Koivu a bust.

Startin in 2000 it's hard to label these young guys busts.

I believe it is still too early to judge player from 2000 and above. Krahm is still young. Chistov as well, Taticek (never heard of him, but i'm guessing he's probably quite young still)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
X-SHARKIE said:

Now now that's big.
I saw many times Chistov mentioned! Hey guys, what's up? He had a great rookie year and he just struggled (not that he was that horrible IMO) in a struggling team, but still showing his potential sometimes.
So what about ALEXANDER SVITOV????????????? Is he off the list for some reason or what?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Fighter said:
Now now that's big.
I saw many times Chistov mentioned! Hey guys, what's up? He had a great rookie year and he just struggled (not that he was that horrible IMO) in a struggling team, but still showing his potential sometimes.
So what about ALEXANDER SVITOV????????????? Is he off the list for some reason or what?

Don't try and and sugar coat is. Chistov was horrible this year, as impressive as he looked last year, he was equally awful this year and then some. He was demoted to the AHL and didn't even do anyting down there either.

Not calling him a bust yet, but 04-05 or whenever hockey is palyed next, will be huge for Chistov.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm pointing the fact that calling him a bust after one bad year is unfair. Even worse if we think that Svitov was picked before him and he hasn't done absolutely anything in two years.

X-SHARKIE

Like I said...it's hard to say anyone is a bust when there so young...because there not a bust.. but the point of this thread was to name some and I noticed that people were making predictions or thoughts...So far Chistov hasn't shown me what we all thought he could do....like I said it's unfair to Chistov I agree...but so far him and Svitov have been disapointing. Svitov contributes away from the puck so Chistov got my vote for the possible bust.

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
Fighter said:
I'm pointing the fact that calling him a bust after one bad year is unfair. Even worse if we think that Svitov was picked before him and he hasn't done absolutely anything in two years.

Not sure how well Svitov did after Tampa traded him to Columbus but he played very well in Hamilton in the games I saw. He was the most talented player on the ice on a stacked team IMO. Definitely a power forward in the making and they can take a little longer to reach potential.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
what about aki berg (3rd overall 1995)? :banghead: not exactly the greatest defenseman out there and some "superstars" taken later than him (iginla, J.S. gigure sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad