Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
In all honesty, this team is just not built to be successful in the playoffs. We are far too soft at every position, our players were being pasted into the boards at every chance Boston had, to the point of us bailing out to avoid a hit and give up puck possession.
Yet, Boston was able to retrieve almost every loose puck knowing there would be time to make a play with nobody bearing down on them with a big check.

In the playoffs, it is imperative to instill that fear, if anything to cause mistakes, bad passes and wear down the opponent.
Then we have that stupid stretch pass which usually ends up as an icing or worse yet, a turnover with our forwards caught way up ice.
What good is having mobile, skating d men, when all they do throw up a Hail Mary pass for our breakout?

I recall being excited when the hiring of Babcock was announced, I am now very much on the fence of whether he is the right guy to lead us.
For his supposed "elite" coach status, he has made far too many blunders regarding the roster, game preparation/in-game adjustments and on ice challenges that have cost us games.
I don't want Babcock's "Red Wings" and sadly, this is exactly what we have. A team that might make the playoffs every year but never go deep into the cup run.

We are young and talented, but lack heart, grit and desire to do what it takes to win, maybe that is the downside of youth Throughout this series there was way too many stretches of play with our players appearing to just go through the motions, not skating just gliding along with no interest to engage with any kind of physicality.

The front office certainly shares some of this blame by not addressing our needs at the trade deadline, with all of our Free Agents walking this year with nothing in return, we will have plenty of holes to fill up front and still have the defense to completely overhaul. With big contract signings looming, we may need to part ways with a few of our young guns to fix this team properly and I would not be surprised at all if we are battling just to get in as a wild card or miss next year all together.

Being a fan since the early 1970's I have certainly lived through enough BS with this franchise that I am almost immune to the pain of failing yet again, the excitement of what the future holds is always balanced out by thoughts of "what can this franchise do to muck it all up"
I hate to be pessimistic, but for anyone in their 50's that is reading this, you know where I'm coming from!

I'm 56. Post of the thread.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Participation Trophies for everyone!

:laugh:

that poster @zeke was famous for asking posters here if they can name boston's bottom 6 and absolutely smug how bozak and jvr are so much better than boston's bottom 6 :laugh:

now there are posters who were hell bent against trading "entitled softies" like bozak and jvr are chiming in about "participation trophy" worthy season - ohhh look how well we did and blah blah blah

seriously..................... :facepalm:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
:laugh:

that poster @zeke was famous for asking posters here if they can name boston's bottom 6 and absolutely smug how bozak and jvr are so much better than boston's bottom 6 :laugh:

now there are posters who were hell bent against trading "entitled softies" like bozak and jvr are chiming in about "participation trophy" worthy season - ohhh look how well we did and blah blah blah

seriously..................... :facepalm:
Honestly... wonder if Tampa loses will they start selling all their players away?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Boston is ****** good

All the people wanting to dismantle this team and trade half our skill guys because we lost to them may want to cool there jets on that one

Hey now... those people might have to actually admit that the better and favored team that is built for a cup run won and it's not the end of the world..

You have to learn to loose with dignity and humility before you can win anything worthwhile.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think we are actually a very good team. Just looking at things in perspective. We fought hard till the bitter end, we did not let Boston eliminate us easily. We just need to get better at defending, that's it.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I stayed off the boards the night of game 7 and about 4 or 5 days after for obvious reasons. So I had never seen this thread. I was curious to see why it was bumped, so I was going to tread carefully and only read the most recent most. I clicked the wrong button. I couldn't resist. I decided to read the first page.

dear. lord.

My signature reigns true. Yet here I am posting in one. Oy!

Reactions: Loosie

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we are actually a very good team. Just looking at things in perspective. We fought hard till the bitter end, we did not let Boston eliminate us easily. We just need to get better at defending, that's it.

Me too.
and just more time. Shannon (The Hockey Guy) says the leafs are stupid because no one on that team knows that they're supposed to lose. which is (imo) why they are so very good so quickly. but sometimes it can bite them in the butt, which is fine (right now).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Tampa series is any indication, the Bruins weren't much of a playoff team at all. Our skill guys obviously didn't have the experience/stomach to play them the way they should have, and hopefully they learn this in future series. If guys like JVR had at least thrown his body around a little like Alex Killorn, if Matthews and Nylander brought some of that Brayden Point courage, if every Leaf went and attacked the Bruins on the forecheck hard, they could have advanced, could have survived that third period in game seven.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Me too.
and just more time. Shannon (The Hockey Guy) says the leafs are stupid because no one on that team knows that they're supposed to lose. which is (imo) why they are so very good so quickly. but sometimes it can bite them in the butt, which is fine (right now).

They just need a humbler approach and to enjoy the underdog status instead of being bogged down by expectations when they're still learning to win in the playoffs. Expecting to win is great, but when you come out unprepared to play in 3 of the 7 games, feel a false sense of security in the third period of game seven, get distracted by a Bergeron injury, you're not ready to win.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They just need a humbler approach and to enjoy the underdog status instead of being bogged down by expectations when they're still learning to win in the playoffs. Expecting to win is great, but when you come out unprepared to play in 3 of the 7 games, feel a false sense of security in the third period of game seven, get distracted by a Bergeron injury, you're not ready to win.

there is nothing wrong with expectations
i think the whole "we're the underdog, we have nothing to lose." is all well and good, but they've also got to learn how to win with having the weight of having to do so. no matter what some people want to tell themselves, they were considered a contender this year. no matter how Good Boston was - it doesn't change the fact that that was the case.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
If the Tampa series is any indication, the Bruins weren't much of a playoff team at all. Our skill guys obviously didn't have the experience/stomach to play them the way they should have, and hopefully they learn this in future series. If guys like JVR had at least thrown his body around a little like Alex Killorn, if Matthews and Nylander brought some of that Brayden Point courage, if every Leaf went and attacked the Bruins on the forecheck hard, they could have advanced, could have survived that third period in game seven.
The Tampa series went as I expected. Boston didn't get away with the BS they did vs the Leafs not to mention the bounces they got and Boston proved to be overrated in result. Tampa was the better team at playing hockey. The officials called the game towards playing hockey EACH GAME not a street fight in some and the better team won.

The Leafs took Boston to 7. They didn't get swept to portrait what you have. For much of the series they did bring "Point courage" Bad bounces, game deciding officiating allowing cheap shots and having to hide certain players did them in.

Boston used JVR as a method to take momentum all series long 5v5 on home ice. People look at his goals and think you have a good player. He was the worst Leaf for 2 straight years and has gotten worst and worst these past 3 years as a player. Just having to play JVR became a mountain to overcome alone never mind the unexpected with Mathews play. He wasn't right. Something was off with him... He practically played like JVR does and when that happens to such a key guy It's amazing the series did go 7 with a 3 game suspension to Kadri who does bring the compete required in a playoff series.

I'm not expecting Mathews to have another playoffs like this. It's not the lack of production that was poor. He could have scored 10 goals and still would have sucked the way he competed. One thing I will say as I said it when they were eliminated. The Leafs will play in the cup finals next season without having JVR to hide. They're a much better team by just not having him to hide 5v5. Momentum wont be just handed to the opposition so easy.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The Tampa series went as I expected. Boston didn't get away with the BS they did vs the Leafs not to mention the bounces they got and Boston proved to be overrated in result. Tampa was the better team at playing hockey. The officials called the game towards playing hockey EACH GAME not a street fight in some and the better team won.

The Leafs took Boston to 7. They didn't get swept to portrait what you have. For much of the series they did bring "Point courage" Bad bounces, game deciding officiating allowing cheap shots and having to hide certain players did them in.

Boston used JVR as a method to take momentum all series long 5v5 on home ice. People look at his goals and think you have a good player. He was the worst Leaf for 2 straight years and has gotten worst and worst these past 3 years as a player. Just having to play JVR became a mountain to overcome alone never mind the unexpected with Mathews play. He wasn't right. Something was off with him... He practically played like JVR does and when that happens to such a key guy It's amazing the series did go 7 with a 3 game suspension to Kadri who does bring the compete required in a playoff series.

I'm not expecting Mathews to have another playoffs like this. It's not the lack of production that was poor. He could have scored 10 goals and still would have sucked the way he competed. One thing I will say as I said it when they were eliminated. The Leafs will play in the cup finals next season without having JVR to hide. They're a much better team by just not having him to hide 5v5. Momentum wont be just handed to the opposition so easy.

this isn't sarcastic i swear
but do you really think JVR was truly the difference?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We’ve gone from 30th to 14th to 6th, I’d have loved to beat Boston but the continual improvement this team has made makes me very hopeful for the future. This year was a success! It was just a bad draw that we had to face Boston in the first round.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We’ve gone from 30th to 14th to 6th, I’d have loved to beat Boston but the continual improvement this team has made makes me very hopeful for the future. This year was a success! It was just a bad draw that we had to face Boston in the first round.

It definitely was a success, but the heightened expectations surrounding them may have been premature, which has coloured the experience of it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I didn't think Matthews or Nylander brought that Point courage at all in the entire series, which needs to be rectified as the advance in their careers. Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Marner were all high energy, high effort level guys, but we also need 2/3 of the big three online as well. Live and learn. And the farther we get away from the 2013 core the better: JVR, Bozak, Komarov, goodbye. Not sure about Gardiner. Kadri can stay.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It definitely was a success, but the heightened expectations surrounding them may have been premature, which has coloured the experience of it.
I think the expectations went a little too high for some. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's good to be excited about your team. The tough part is when you start to get carried away, when reality sets in, it can be quite disappointing.

If my math is right, including that Ottawa game where they came back from 3-1 and won, the one where apparently Marleau gave a speech in the room in the 2nd intermission, the Leafs went 24-9-2 to finish the season. I know that stretch got many excited and you saw topics/posts coming up that we could compete with anyone. While lots looked good and there was plenty to be excited about, there was and is still lots too work on. Those who ignored that fact or at least brushed it off, are likely the ones most disappointed, puzzled and angry.

This just wasn't our year and we aren't there yet. Who cares. Look where we were two years ago today. Yikes. Now if we can't get out of the first round next year, that's where you need to start getting concerned.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the expectations went a little too high for some. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's good to be excited about your team. The tough part is when you start to get carried away, when reality sets in, it can be quite disappointing.

If my math is right, including that Ottawa game where they came back from 3-1 and won, the one where apparently Marleau gave a speech in the room in the 2nd intermission, the Leafs went 24-9-2 to finish the season. I know that stretch got many excited and you saw topics/posts coming up that we could compete with anyone. While lots looked good and there was plenty to be excited about, there was and is still lots too work on. Those who ignored that fact or at least brushed it off, are likely the ones most disappointed, puzzled and angry.

This just wasn't our year and we aren't there yet. Who cares. Look where we were two years ago today. Yikes. Now if we can't get out of the first round next year, that's where you need to start getting concerned.

I don't necessarily think next year is the time to worry either, but you do want to see signs of improvement, and if they fail, it isn't for the same reasons such as poor defensive structure, not understanding the stakes in a playoff game, coming out ill prepared, not battling hard. Washington and San Jose have basically been rolling out the same cores since 2005-06 and they still haven't given up. So it can be a lengthy process. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but you know what I mean.

Reactions: S2S

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
OK, i know i confuse easy BUT

8 total combined PPs in Toronto

in Boston

UMMM huh???? WTF????????????:eek::mad:

You can look at that stat many different ways. One the reffing was terrible, watching close to 5 decades of hockey, no team gets as many sweet heart calls at home as Boston, its been a thing before I was born.

If you fall into the trap of thinking its only biased reffing, you will miss the fact that Babcock is a match up king or fool depending on your perspective. Teams that take a lot of PIM's over a long period of time tend to be chasing the game. If you are chasing the game that means you are probably out skilled (experience or physical tools) or out coached or both. If Babcock is putting out his best options on the road and we are still chasing the game? That speaks volumes to the changes or additions we need to make this summer.

Make no bones about it even when it was 5 on 5 we were chasing the game. Even if you take away the horrible reffing, Boston was the better team. Well maybe not the entire team was better but they had one dominant line and one rookie that lit us up. Point being we didn't have the players/experience/skill/knowledge to adjust to prevent Game 7.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You can look at that stat many different ways. One the reffing was terrible, watching close to 5 decades of hockey, no team gets as many sweet heart calls at home as Boston, its been a thing before I was born.

If you fall into the trap of thinking its only biased reffing, you will miss the fact that Babcock is a match up king or fool depending on your perspective. Teams that take a lot of PIM's over a long period of time tend to be chasing the game. If you are chasing the game that means you are probably out skilled (experience or physical tools) or out coached or both. If Babcock is putting out his best options on the road and we are still chasing the game? That speaks volumes to the changes or additions we need to make this summer.

Make no bones about it even when it was 5 on 5 we were chasing the game. Even if you take away the horrible reffing, Boston was the better team. Well maybe not the entire team was better but they had one dominant line and one rookie that lit us up. Point being we didn't have the players/experience/skill/knowledge to adjust to prevent Game 7.

Boston was victimized by some bad calls against Tampa. I think the team that moves it feet more tends to get the calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad