Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It would actually make a lot more sense to have him play through it, it being the playoffs, not a lost season.

The reports are that it's a "weird/unique" injury, I assume they're unsure on re-injury risk, need for surgery, etc. at this point. Seravelli said yesterday the Canucks "just don't know" when he'll be available. No clue what that means.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It would actually make a lot more sense to have him play through it, it being the playoffs, not a lost season.
A goalie can’t play through a torn ACL lol, I thought you were a physio?

A torn ACL would be absolutely devastating, and unlike a skater there’s decent chance he’d be out all of next season.

Reactions: David71

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

A torn ACL would be absolutely devastating, and unlike a skater there’s decent chance he’d be out all of next season.
Yes I know it would be absolutley horrific long term.

Did you not understand my point?

Niklas Bäckström, the finnish goalie not the swedish center, played through two torn ligaments in hes knee in the finnish liiga playoffs. Cant remember what ligaments. He went for massive knee surgery after.

Edit. His ACL was completely torn.

The point is. There is actually something to play for.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You guys might have already seen this:

When Demko was confirmed out, he was devastated, and Tocchet comforted him thusly:

Your season isn’t over. We’re going to need you, because we’re still going to be playing when you’re ready again.

Mad respect to Tocchet. This is what actual leadership and mentorship look like.

EDIT: For some unexplained reason, I kept picturing in my head that sentence being said by Mr. Miyagi lol.
nodding-mr-miyagi.gif

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You guys might have already seen this:

When Demko was confirmed out, he was devastated, and Tocchet comforted him thusly:

Your season isn’t over. We’re going to need you, because we’re still going to be playing when you’re ready again.

Mad respect to Tocchet. This is what actual leadership and mentorship look like.

EDIT: For some unexplained reason, I kept picturing in my head that sentence being said by Mr. Miyagi lol.
nodding-mr-miyagi.gif

I love Coach Rick.

PS- from in article, Casey and Demko are first time Dad buds awww :heart:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Niklas Bäckström, the finnish goalie not the swedish center, played through two torn ligaments in hes knee in the finnish liiga playoffs. Cant remember what ligaments. He went for massive knee surgery after.

Many goalies wouldn’t be able to play with an ACL tear because their knee would give out with specific movements that the supporting muscles can’t compensate for, e.g., coming out of butterfly back to a set position, pushing hard post-to-post.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Buds…. Ease up on your tantrums.

You’ve already been caved.

Take a knee.

Many goalies wouldn’t be able to play with an ACL tear because their knee would give out with specific movements that the supporting muscles can’t compensate for, e.g., coming out of butterfly back to a set position, pushing hard post-to-post.
He knows everything. He knows load management better than Ian Clark.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Buds…. Ease up on your tantrums.

You’ve already been caved.

Take a knee.

He knows everything. He knows load management better than Ian Clark.
Oh boy oh boy.

Just PM me if you are having trouble understanding what is being said.

I'll walk you through the conversation. Nobody is angry here HairyKneel. Dont be upset.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

This is a bit of a catch-22 scenario though. If the Canucks are still playing in say 3-4 weeks, that means that one of their backups will have been playing great for them for the first two rounds.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You are adorable when you get heated.
You so desperately need to get under my skin :laugh:

Try calling me short again? Or maybe insinuate Im gay? Im sure that will work this time.

This is a bit of a catch-22 scenario though. If the Canucks are still playing in say 3-4 weeks, that means that one of their backups will have been playing great for them for the first two rounds.
Sorry I dont follow.

Just to clarify:

Im not saying Demko should play through his injury. Im saying playing through this type of injury in the play offs makes some kind of sense. Where as the Mikheyev case, where the team was garbage, there was no incentive to play through it and risk further injury to your knee, hip, lower back etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Honestly, if it was something he needed surgery on for sure, like an ACL, they wouldn't be waiting too long to get it done. I mean, it's been a week since he last played, so maybe another week or so at most (before Mother's Day which would be 3 weeks from his last game) is when he should get surgery done if it's a clear ACL/MCL tear.

If it's a strain/sprain, they really can't do much aside from let him rest it.

A pocket QB like Rivers back in the day played on a torn ACL, but he's the only offensive player who could. OL need to have that explosion to push another 300 lb man. Receivers/RB need to make quick cuts and plant their feet to make a move.

Goalie, no chance. Too much up and down.

Guys in the PO play through stuff and then get surgery after it ends, but I just don't see Demko going back in unless he's healthy.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Honestly, if it was something he needed surgery on for sure, like an ACL, they wouldn't be waiting too long to get it done. I mean, it's been a week since he last played, so maybe another week or so at most (before Mother's Day which would be 3 weeks from his last game) is when he should get surgery done if it's a clear ACL/MCL tear.

If it's a strain/sprain, they really can't do much aside from let him rest it.

A pocket QB like Rivers back in the day played on a torn ACL, but he's the only offensive player who could. OL need to have that explosion to push another 300 lb man. Receivers/RB need to make quick cuts and plant their feet to make a move.

Goalie, no chance. Too much up and down.

Guys in the PO play through stuff and then get surgery after it ends, but I just don't see Demko going back in unless he's healthy.
Could be a ligament strain that could turn into a full tear if pushed, hence the caution in putting him back in.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Could be a ligament strain that could turn into a full tear if pushed, hence the caution in putting him back in.
Demko has 2 years left on his contract. Probably best for him to not take the chance of turning it into a full tear if rest now will heal it. End up missing most of next season and trying to comeback on a repaired knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad