Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I guess if you're convinced that Demko is your starting goalie, then Markstrom will price himself out of VanCity. He's a UFA at the end of this season, and he's going to want to get paid. And who can blame him?

Best strategy is for the Canucks to try and get something for him before he walks.....and if DiPietro isn't ready then you go out somewhere and find a veteran backup making somewhere around the league minimum.

And if they don't trade Markstrom and sign him instead, they're going to have to protect him in the Seattle expansion draft, which they can ill afford to do.
If the Canucks are anywhere near a playoff spot (or in one) at the time, I don't see this happening.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Demko Time. Have a feeling he takes over the starting position. Markstrom’s been shaky and Demko’s looked solid. Demko>Markstrom.

Reactions: Get North

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Demko Time. Have a feeling he takes over the starting position. Markstrom’s been shaky and Demko’s looked solid. Demko>Markstrom.

I think the Canucks should play Demko more often but to be fair, Markstrom is grieving right now and you can't really blame him for the goals that he has been allowing. You certainly can't blame him for tonight's loss.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think the Canucks should play Demko more often but to be fair, Markstrom is grieving right now and you can't really blame him for the goals that he has been allowing. You certainly can't blame him for tonight's loss.

Absolutely...it's not the goaltending that is struggling. If they need the goaltender to stand on their head to get points out of a game the plummet to the basement can be swift.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He will get another run of games coming up. Markstrom will have to leave the team in the next few days to attend his fathers funeral.

day off in between each game so Demko can handle them all until Markstrom returns.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Demko should start Saturday against the Av's....and if he wins, he should play until he loses. Green needs to ride the guy who's producing. His job could depend on it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a tough situation, with everything Markstrom is going through. But Demko has arrived as not only their 'goalie of the future' but their 'goalie of the present'. Markstrom is a UFA on July 1st and they can't afford to offer him a NTC in his contract, what with the expansion draft coming and each team being able to protect only one goalie.

Obviously the best option is a trade.....but nothing will happen until the New Year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The opposite of Jeff's thinking would be give Demko a chance. He is the homegrown talent taken with a early 2nd round pick.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Demko should get the majority of the starts for the rest of November, Markstrom has been shaky and could probably use a mental break. Demko has been solid and his numbers are awesome.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Demko should get the majority of the starts for the rest of November, Markstrom has been shaky and could probably use a mental break. Demko has been solid and his numbers are awesome.
This aged well.:sarcasm:

I'm a big believer in Demko, but let's call a spade a spade, he's given at least one soft goal a game since being the starter.
Agreed. There STILL is lots of potential in Demko.

Still doesn't change the fact team would likely be in the lottery pick range if Demko has more starts than Markstrom this season.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
This aged well.:sarcasm:

Agreed. There STILL is lots of potential in Demko.

Still doesn't change the fact team would likely be in the lottery pick range if Demko has more starts than Markstrom this season.

Well, potential is out the door, this is his time to shine and he has not looked good at all.

Just looking at this thread, he should been given 5-10 more starts earlier this year.

Reactions: Hit the post

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He's barely played this season with huge gaps in between starts. He hasn't been good the last 3 starts and he owns some of that but the bigger issue is the way the team has used him this season.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Long term I think there's still time for Demko to become a starter. Markstrom used to let in a bad goal every game too.

For the purposes of this season though I wouldn't be surprised to see us fall out of a playoff spot without Markstrom's godlike efforts every night. He hides how shitty most of the roster is, and the deficiencies in Green's coaching as well.

Reactions: GFY

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Just call it what it is
His performance for the past three games were unacceptably trash, 2 goals under 5 SOG in the first 10 minutes, some of them he was so late to react to.

He is currently crumble under pressure, look like an ahl goalie out there.

It’s time for him to decide whether or not he wanna do this

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad