Post-Game Talk: That was one big pile of... Devils Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Realizing that Zacha is young but can we afford to wait until he end of the season to see if he improves? He has had a couple of good games but must show more than where he is at this season even with two good games. We are hurting at the center position and that will ruin a season.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Realizing that Zacha is young but can we afford to wait until he end of the season to see if he improves? He has had a couple of good games but must show more than where he is at this season even with two good games. We are hurting at the center position and that will ruin a season.

Zacha needs to be better at the little things. If he is over 50% in faceoffs, keeping possession, grinding teams down you can put up with his long development curve. His two best games go hand and hand with those attributes. Maybe not scoring messes with his head and tries to do too much. His development is one of the main reasons the Devils are stuck in mediocrity. I have never seen a prospect struggle as bad a Zacha and not get benched/demoted/sent down. Freaking Nico, was benched at the beginning of the 3rd. Coleman should take Zachs spot at center and we should try him on the wing.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Zacha needs to be better at the little things. If he is over 50% in faceoffs, keeping possession, grinding teams down you can put up with his long development curve. His two best games go hand and hand with those attributes. Maybe not scoring messes with his head and tries to do too much. His development is one of the main reasons the Devils are stuck in mediocrity. I have never seen a prospect struggle as bad a Zacha and not get benched/demoted/sent down. Freaking Nico, was benched at the beginning of the 3rd. Coleman should take Zachs spot at center and we should try him on the wing.
Zacha is 3rd in faceoffs on the team with 52.6% behind Zajac (62.8%) and Coleman (54.2%). 5on5 he has a 51.38 CF% (6th best forward). It's not like he isn't playing a strong possession game, he's just not scoring.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When you constantly have to puck chase and get hemmed in you will not have much energy for that extra gear late in the 3rd

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
You can go ahead and jump on the Defense yesterday, truth is we were down one defenseman with 55 minutes left to the game.

Add to that all the PK we had to play, the defense was completely gassed. I would blame the game more on the offense, where we barely had any sustained pressure on a weak Philly defense

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You can go ahead and jump on the Defense yesterday, truth is we were down one defenseman with 55 minutes left to the game.

Add to that all the PK we had to play, the defense was completely gassed. I would blame the game more on the offense, where we barely had any sustained pressure on a weak Philly defense
The defense wasn't perfect, but they sure as hell aren't to blame for last night.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The black movement really sucks. I hated it when the Islanders did it, and the Flyers' ones are no better. The Canes' ones this year are hideous, too, and that secondary logo is even worse.

I didn't mind Philly's black uniforms in the 2000's though as a purist I prefer the orange and white...but black with their normal font was fine. Whatever the hell that was yesterday - that's ten times more grotesque than Gritty. And now we're probably gonna keep seeing that hideous piece of crap uniform up there till we beat them in Philly.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't mind Philly's black uniforms in the 2000's though as a purist I prefer the orange and white...but black with their normal font was fine. Whatever the hell that was yesterday - that's ten times more grotesque than Gritty. And now we're probably gonna keep seeing that hideous piece of crap uniform up there till we beat them in Philly.

They're even more bizarre than those gold-embroidered jerseys they rocked for their 50th season a few years back.

I really liked their burnt orange alternates they introduced for that outdoor game in Citizens' Bank Park. It's a shame they've since been "retired" for these nasty black ones.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
The blame is on the coaching staff. At first i thought the "Sitting on the lead" comments were just to cover for poor play but after watching the latest episode Behind the Glass hearing the staff say "4-1 we don't need anymore goals" proves they aren't playing the right way. Makes me believe they were trying to play for OT the past few games.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The blame is on the coaching staff. At first i thought the "Sitting on the lead" comments were just to cover for poor play but after watching the latest episode Behind the Glass hearing the staff say "4-1 we don't need anymore goals" proves they aren't playing the right way. Makes me believe they were trying to play for OT the past few games.

Boyle said that, not the staff.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Team as a whole wasn’t doing a good enough job in transition. That includes the D. Part of that is PKing so much. Part of that is how awful the ice was, but no one was making smart decisions on the breakout.

It was an issue against Colorado as well. The mental preparedness was not up to snuff.

We were in these two games based on luck and a bit on some of our soft talent. We don’t have enough of either to consistently win these type of poorly played games though.

Staff and players seem to understand this so I expect to see a much better effort against Nashville.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A lot of work to do before facing the best team in the league on Thursday

Hynes felt that on Saturday we were:

not ready to play, we were too casual, we were dominated on the face off dot, we did not manage the puck, we were not moving our feet, we lost body position all over the ice, our competitive puck battles were far insufficient, we were not tough to play against, systematic detail was not were it needed to be, emotion was lacking,

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
he’s right in all of those things and i don’t think anyone would accuse him of not cracking the whip when he needs to. i expect a much hungrier team thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad