Post-Game Talk: That was one big pile of... Devils Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They clearly want something from him that he's yet to show enough of to stick as a full time NHL player.

I'd buy that argument more if Kevin Freaking Rooney and a washed up Drew Stafford weren't his replacements. They've tried to make Rooney a thing since camp and he was even worse than Quenneville, at least Quenneville was only invisi-bad. Rooney was actually bad and Stafford wasn't any better than JQ.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Going into this game Quenneville was 3rd on the team in CF%. And Stafford was last

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'd buy that argument more if Kevin Freaking Rooney and a washed up Drew Stafford weren't his replacements. They've tried to make Rooney a thing since camp and he was even worse than Quenneville, at least Quenneville was only invisi-bad. Rooney was actually bad and Stafford wasn't any better than JQ.

Rooney was called up because he can kill penalties, and he did that. Unfortunately he took one of his own, but I thought he did a good job on the PK. Quenneville or Rooney or Stafford isnt going to make or break this team. The players who are supposed to contribute to wins besides Hall didn't do a whole lot today.

Going into this game Quenneville was 3rd on the team in CF%. And Stafford was last

CF% means almost nothing this far into the season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
wood has been pretty forgettable these past couple of games. zacha can f*** off somewhere

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rooney was called up because he can kill penalties, and he did that. Unfortunately he took one of his own, but I thought he did a good job on the PK. Quenneville or Rooney or Stafford isnt going to make or break this team. The players who are supposed to contribute to wins besides Hall didn't do a whole lot today.

I don't really care about a couple of PK shifts if you're so freaking lost on 5-on-5 you're constantly pinned in your own zone. Find someone else on the roster that can PK without being a total net negative everywhere else. And no I don't think playing him over anyone decided the contest but it's just indiciative of how the staff panicked making an unneccesary move and were unsure about the lines until puckdrop and it filtered down to the players today. They were in panic mode before the game. You have players that can PK - Coleman, Zacha, Boyle, Nico, it just so happened most of those guys were the ones taking penalties too.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Definitely need more from Zacha or TZ might find himself back in that #2 spot when he returns.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think the eye test matches the numbers even though the sample is insignificant.

Zajac Wood and Quenneville in that order for CF%. Just watching the games I think it's pretty obvious to me that they have been the best ES line this season. The small sample seems accurate.

Reactions: nugg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think either some of us don't realize it or don't want to admit how important Zajac is to this team. There was a significant collapse when he went down.

Hopefully they can adjust to his absence.

Reactions: nugg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well clearly faceoffs were horrible without Travis tonight, but they weren't this bad as a whole without him last year either. Obviously that's been a big difference in the last game and a half though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't really care about a couple of PK shifts if you're so freaking lost on 5-on-5 you're constantly pinned in your own zone. Find someone else on the roster that can PK without being a total net negative everywhere else. And no I don't think playing him over anyone decided the contest but it's just indiciative of how the staff panicked making an unneccesary move and were unsure about the lines until puckdrop and it filtered down to the players today. They were in panic mode before the game. You have players that can PK - Coleman, Zacha, Boyle, Nico, it just so happened most of those guys were the ones taking penalties too.

The Devils were a 40% CF team today and Rooney was right in line with that. I don't see how you can judge from one game that Rooney is a 'net negative' and 'consistently pinned in his own zone' - these aren't attributes I would put on him. He has NHL skating speed and strength - his puck skills are what make him a minor leaguer. I didn't see a whole lot of puck skill errors by him today.

Either way, Rooneys don't win or lose you games. Players like Wood, Zacha, Noesen, Hischier, Palmieri, Johansson - they do.

Reactions: marcsson68

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well clearly faceoffs were horrible without Travis tonight, but they weren't this bad as a whole without him last year either. Obviously that's been a big difference in the last game and a half though.
It's a lot easier to prepare and adjust for an off season injury from the beginning of the season. That's why I am hoping that they can adjust during this break.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Johansson was the worst player on the team today in my opinion. He did nothing and the play in the O zone seemed to die with him often.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Johansson was the worst player on the team today in my opinion. He did nothing and the play in the O zone seemed to die with him often.

It would help if he had a finisher to not botch a great pass in front the way Noesen did in the second period (I think).

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey

He hasn't really had an ounce of talent around him all season. He's trying to do it all himself and I don't blame him one bit.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Do these guys get a book of cliches to study and memorize went they get into the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad