Post-Game Talk (GBU): That sucked

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
So you don't like the idea of him being F instead of D permanently?
His home is on defense. He can play a ton of minutes on D. I see this as a temporary situation where we don't have any big, physical forwards and a glut of dmen. If he turns into a goal scoring machine, I could change my mind.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
And i was called crazy for daring to say dahlin at center like housley was played as a rookie
no, that still is crazy. He needs to continue getting his lumps out of the way gaining reps and development time, not worrying about playing center. c'mon man.

Reactions: ZZamboni

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’m not mad about the missed calls against Boston because we never ****ing score on the laughable powerplay anyway. I’m angry they called the penalty on Buffalo after putting the whistles away the other way. That’s grade A bull****

And no more ****ing Ristolainen in overtime. He’s a brain dead liability who, the best I can guess, doesn’t know which team he plays for when there’s that much space.

Also Hutton is now 1 game over .500. Seven losses in his last 8.

Seen enough of him as a starter
I respect your posting too much to harp on W-L as a meaningless goalie stat, so let's just look at the numbers.

Of those 8 games, he's had 3 stinkers: At Tampa*, At St. Louis, and home vs. Florida. The latter two games he had 2 goals or less support. In those 3 games, his save pct was 0.875.

In the other 4 losses, 1 was a shootout loss, the other an OT loss. In those 4 losses, his save percentage was 0.922. His goals-for support in the two regulation losses was 1 each. Even Hasek didn't have a dozen 1-0 shutout wins a year.

*A wide open game where the Sabres held serve with (IMO) the top team in the East.

Hutton's not the problem. If you want to argue Ullmark should get more starts:

In the same timeframe as the 7-in-8 Hutton losses, Ullmark has gone 3-1-2. In the 3 losses, his save percentage has been 0.885 (0.930, 0.867, 0.854). In the 3 wins, his save percentage has been 0.953. More importantly, in the 3 wins, Ullmark's goal support has been 4, 4, and 3.

They need to shake it up. Spit up the Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart line and try to get two lines going.

Sheary - Eichel - Pommer / Okposo
Skinner - Mitts - Reinhart
It's an extremely obvious change which doesn't require calling up someone from Rochester, if Botts is (foolishly) averse to callups.

Last edited:

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
It's an extremely obvious change which doesn't require calling up someone from Rochester, if Botts is (foolishly) averse to callups.
Never thought of that.
Could mean: same production for the team, but less money for Skinner, which is a positive.
Plus, could help kick-start secondary scoring, at least one line.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I respect your posting too much to harp on W-L as a meaningless goalie stat, so let's just look at the numbers.

Of those 8 games, he's had 3 stinkers: At Tampa*, At St. Louis, and home vs. Florida. The latter two games he had 2 goals or less support. In those 3 games, his save pct was 0.875.

In the other 4 losses, 1 was a shootout loss, the other an OT loss. In those 4 losses, his save percentage was 0.922. His goals-for support in the two regulation losses was 1 each. Even Hasek didn't have a dozen 1-0 shutout wins a year.

*A wide open game where the Sabres held serve with (IMO) the top team in the East.

For me, Hutton has earned to have a handful of games of shaky play. Considering how much he saved this team’s backside earlier in the year, or kept us in games to put us in a position to win games. How he played in those games in the streak is Hasek level of dominance. 8-0-0 .935 and 1.97 GAA...

At a time where Buffalo Played overtime+ in 7 of 10 games of our winning streak and 9 out of 10 games were one goal games, I’d say it’s time for Buffalos’ scoring to start to carry the load to bail HIM out. Yes, there have been bad bounces lately, but right now, he’s the least of our problems.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Agreed. Hutton's not the problem. Goal support is. Do whatever the staff and the goalies themselves want with the starter & backup loads, or split it 1A / 1B. Doesn't matter.

And, while they're trying to figure out how to score more goals, they can at least try giving up fewer shots against, for a change.

Reactions: oldgoalie

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
This draft will have no impact on the next season. We will not drafting a Dahlin or Eichel. Trade a pick to get them the taste of the playoffs. Or risk that it will be forever a bridge too far. Draft picks. Not top three lottery picks. We don’t have any of those.
When I said draft I was referring to player movement at the draft, like a trade(s)...I'm not banking on any player we draft to make the team...I think from now up until the start of next season will be one of the most interesting times to watch a Sabres GM...I't s up to Botts to show us what he can do...I feel we definitely should make the playoffs next year and maybe even make some noise in them with the right moves.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
We are 4-6-4 since the win streak.
I am watching as the team gives up its point advantage from that streak and actually falls out of playoff contention, and we aren't even halfway through the season yet.
Oh, and I'm not the only one watching this trend develop, this tragedy unfold, players like Eichel and Bogo you can bet are watching it as well. Many of you seem to forget for one reason or another, these guys are competitors, this is Jacks 4th season in Buffalo, if we miss the playoffs yet again, that's 4 years of his professional career toileted. Don't kid yourself, a player takes notice of that.

Sure he takes notice, there’s tons of players in worse situations, he’s getting laid very well and we were what 13-2-2 before that? He takes notice of that and seeing our furniture prospect core with olofsson pilot ukko pekka Ullmark mittlestadt amuelsson and dahlin too... as well as being captain and having skinner to finish off his plays.

But a 4-6-4 streak deleted all that and in December he’s going to want out. Get over yourself man. Especially when in 8 of those ten games we’ve lost to some of the best teams in the league and weren’t seven of those by a single goal? Even in the games we lost to Boston today Florida philly two weeks ago we held a lead after forty and played very well until the end and were still in the game if not the better team. This is night and day better then last year

We’re not going to turn into world beaters over night, I can’t believe how well this team is doing even in their losses. Lots of things need to change but no one outside Tampa is liking anything close to perfect

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
When I said draft I was referring to player movement at the draft, like a trade(s)...I'm not banking on any player we draft to make the team...I think from now up until the start of next season will be one of the most interesting times to watch a Sabres GM...I't s up to Botts to show us what he can do...I feel we definitely should make the playoffs next year and maybe even make some noise in them with the right moves.
I get that we will have options this post season but it is a waste of this season if mgmt doesn’t at least try to help get there this season. Maybe it doesn’t work, but to not try sends the wrong message imho. St. Louis may defer and SJS is currently ahead of us and will likely stay there. For a player with term I would part with the Sharks pick.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Seriously Pilut came up and is better than half our NHL defensmen how is that not motivating enough to try ONE of the god damn forwards!!!!!!!!!!!
because maybe management looked at the 10 game streak and saw a lot of things that happened to bounce our way instead of a team that was dominant for 10 straight and based on that made a decision not to fast forward anything for a team that isnt ready

there was plenty that was going wrong during that streak that wasnt being talked about because they won everytime they touched the ice

Reactions: Niagaradad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad