Post-Game Talk (GBU): That sucked

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
After our top line we probably have the worst 2,3,4 lines in all of hockey....I'm actually happy where we are at right now..I didn't expect us to be this good....Technically we went from worst to first, but unfortuantely we are headed more closer to worst now...

I can't see Botts making any drastic moves...I'd say this team is on course...We have some decent goaltending finally...Jack has upped his game big time since becoming captain...

We won't be going anywhere if we make the playoffs because all another team will have to do is shut down Jack's line....

I think we just need to be patient at least until next year...See what Botts does this draft and in the off season....Maybe he'll make some minor changes at the TDL...

I have confidence in Botts making the right move....Yeah, our other lines are horrendous...Some of those players really shouldn't even be on an NHL roster...We just need to give it time...For now we just have to watch the youngsters develop.
This draft will have no impact on the next season. We will not drafting a Dahlin or Eichel. Trade a pick to get them the taste of the playoffs. Or risk that it will be forever a bridge too far. Draft picks. Not top three lottery picks. We don’t have any of those.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
U

The relentless impatience on this board.

We saw the same thing on that brutal west coast road trip. Everyone was howling for Housley's head, *****ing even more than usual about the-trade-that-shall-not-be-named, calling Botts an idiot, criticizing practically every player in the lineup, etc. I participated in some of the griping. Housley changed things up, a lot of which we laughed at at the time, and then, miracle of miracles, things started to click, and the *****ing and moaning subsided.

For a while.

You cite Garth Snow. How about another former Islander GM, Mike Milbury? Man, that guy really made moves. Really ****ty ones, almost every time. I'll stick with the guy who's not flailing wildly every time the team hits a rough patch.

Do I want changes? Of course. Our middle-6 is brutally bad. Don't you think that's as blatantly obvious to Sabres' management as it is to us?

Keep in mind, Botts has to think of the well-being of this franchise's future, not just what can be achieved this season. We're hardly in win-now mode, yet some want him to act like we are. Who does he bring up, and how does that affect their long-term development, and the same for who gets sent down (likely Mitts and Tage)? Does he burn a 1st for help this year, possibly squandering the pick that would have been more valuable overall in the future?

If we improve by "only" 30 points, and miss the playoffs, I'll still be thrilled with that progress.

Patience, lads, patience.
How exactly is calling up guys who deserve it and actually might be good at this whole hockey going to hurt this team? Look at our 3rd line, it's literally worse than not only every other 3rd line in the league, it's worse than anyone else's 4th.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'm not going to quote, but the reason people are so frustrated by the lack of moves is largely because the team has failed to even make any internal moves to see if any improvements can be made to the middle six. That would be a good preliminary step to seeing what sort of external moves may be required, and there is no particular reason that they could not have given a few guys a look.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm not going to quote, but the reason people are so frustrated by the lack of moves is largely because the team has failed to even make any internal moves to see if any improvements can be made to the middle six. That would be a good preliminary step to seeing what sort of external moves may be required, and there is no particular reason that they could not have given a few guys a look.
You basically summed up why I and numerous others are annoyed perfectly and far better than I could.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
How exactly is calling up guys who deserve it and actually might be good at this whole hockey going to hurt this team? Look at our 3rd line, it's literally worse than not only every other 3rd line in the league, it's worse than anyone else's 4th.
It comes down to having confidence in Botts. He said there would be 2nd-half callups, according to this post. We're at the halfway mark in 2 games. I can wait.

In the meantime, I doubt there are any Olofsson-in/Tage-out scenarios that will magically solve our secondary scoring woes. I'd love to be wrong.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
The frustrating part is knowing there is help in Rochester but Botterill is not pushing them up to help Buffalo. On the other hand we as fans want immediate help, Botts may be willing to let those players succeed and gel a bit more before bringing them up. What was the goal for the Sabres this year? Make the playoffs? So right now they're in that position. But he may not want to upset long term development for the organization for the quick satisfaction of the fans this year. Yeah we've sat through a whole bunch of suffering the last few years. But watching the team this year there is noticeable improvement. He may have longer end goals in mind.

BTW that doesn't mean I'm not frustrated as a fan when I see the yawning hole in the middle six.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Have you seen our record? Have enough? “Do something Botterill” why? We’re not getting slaughtered and we are 4-3-2 in our last 9....we’ve played some good teams and a couple games got away, the character and effort is there most nights you’re overreacting to the max
We are 4-6-4 since the win streak.
I am watching as the team gives up its point advantage from that streak and actually falls out of playoff contention, and we aren't even halfway through the season yet.
Oh, and I'm not the only one watching this trend develop, this tragedy unfold, players like Eichel and Bogo you can bet are watching it as well. Many of you seem to forget for one reason or another, these guys are competitors, this is Jacks 4th season in Buffalo, if we miss the playoffs yet again, that's 4 years of his professional career toileted. Don't kid yourself, a player takes notice of that.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
A one line team that got by unsustainable good play by two guys that never have shown such ability long term is getting exposed. Totally shocked that the GM and Coach of the year can't see this.

Reactions: sabremike

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Dress all 8 dmen and use a couple at forward. The Sabres have to start getting bodies to the net and they have to start punishing the opposing dmen. I'd replace Reinhart with Ristolainen on the top line. I'd also use Risto on the 1st team PP unit at forward. You're not going to beat many NHL goalies shooting from the outside unless they're screened, the puck is tipped, or put in on the rebound. Mittelstadt worked well with Reinhart earlier in the year. Beaulieu could add a physical presence at LW. Is it asking too much to have 2 scoring lines? Elie should be stocking up on suntan lotion.

Reactions: sabremike

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I didn't think Okposo was that bad. I think he's miscast on his line. He's a winger who likes to have the puck, which isn't any good on a line with Mittelstadt.

In NY Okposo drove his line. If you ignore the contract and the status, his best line combo is probably with Larsson and Girgensons.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I didn't think Okposo was that bad. I think he's miscast on his line. He's a winger who likes to have the puck, which isn't any good on a line with Mittelstadt.

In NY Okposo drove his line. If you ignore the contract and the status, his best line combo is probably with Larsson and Girgensons.
In NY Okposo wasn't on the other side of a devastating brain injury, after which he has more than a calendar year of being a dreadful NHLer outside of a couple weeks at the beginning of this season. It's a shame, but it's what has happened.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In NY Okposo wasn't on the other side of a devastating brain injury, after which he has more than a calendar year of being a dreadful NHLer outside of a couple weeks at the beginning of this season. It's a shame, but it's what has happened.

Still think he's a RW for Larsson and Girgensons. Heavy line that can hold onto the puck. Okposo, in whatever state he's in, is better than Berglund was.

Reactions: Chainshot

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

Okposo hasnt scored a goal in over 20 games with 1 friggin assist. Hes just done man. He gives 100 percent effort every game.

Either put him with Eichel, or let him grind with Larsson. Miscast in the middle 6

Reactions: slip

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Dress all 8 dmen and use a couple at forward. The Sabres have to start getting bodies to the net and they have to start punishing the opposing dmen. I'd replace Reinhart with Ristolainen on the top line. I'd also use Risto on the 1st team PP unit at forward. You're not going to beat many NHL goalies shooting from the outside unless they're screened, the puck is tipped, or put in on the rebound. Mittelstadt worked well with Reinhart earlier in the year. Beaulieu could add a physical presence at LW. Is it asking too much to have 2 scoring lines? Elie should be stocking up on suntan lotion.

Imagine Risto crushing the best D in the NHL, i would LOVE to see that.
They should start with the PP, and then proceed to giving him icetime as a forward at ES.

All just a theory though, bcs i believe he plays solid D this year and thrives under the circumstances.

Tough choice.

Edit: Risto still makes a lot of questionable decisions in the defensive zone though, i don't know his actual corsi, but hey, i think i would definitely try this if i think about it again, which i just did :)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Imagine Risto crushing the best D in the NHL, i would LOVE to see that.
They should start with the PP, and then proceed to giving him icetime as a forward at ES.

All just a theory though, bcs i believe he plays solid D this year and thrives under the circumstances.

Tough choice.

Edit: Risto still makes a lot of questionable decisions in the defensive zone though, i don't know his actual corsi, but hey, i think i would definitely try this if i think about it again, which i just did :)

I'm not proposing moving Risto to forward permanently. I'd like to see him used like Byfuglien. Give him a some games at forward to shake things up. The Sabres have to find a way to get their forecheck going. They have get traffic in front of the net. If dressing your 18 best skaters means going with 7 or 8 dmen, Housley needs to figure out a way to make that work until Botterill can make some moves. Use it to your advantage. Dress 8 dmen and start fights with the other team's dmen. :laugh:

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I'm not proposing moving Risto to forward permanently. I'd like to see him used like Byfuglien. Give him a some games at forward to shake things up. The Sabres have to find a way to get their forecheck going. They have get traffic in front of the net. If dressing your 18 best skaters means going with 7 or 8 dmen, Housley needs to figure out a way to make that work until Botterill can make some moves. Use it to your advantage. Dress 8 dmen and start fights with the other team's dmen. :laugh:
So you don't like the idea of him being F instead of D permanently?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

And i was called crazy for daring to say dahlin at center like housley was played as a rookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->