TV: That 70's Show

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I recently started re-watching that 70's show, which is one of my all time favourite shows. I'm currently on season four. What are your thoughts on this show? I think it's one of the funniest shows I've seen. It has so many lines and situations that really crack me up. Fez is probably the funniest character, but Eric, Red and Kelso are great too.

"Where's my toast you idiots?"

"The foreign kid just ate something off the floor."

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I thought it was awful and I never did like it.

1976023976-2e823f87e5f2a84d55418887d589c01c.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I recently started re-watching that 70's show, which is one of my all time favourite shows. I'm currently on season four. What are your thoughts on this show? I think it's one of the funniest shows I've seen. It has so many lines and situations that really crack me up. Fez is probably the funniest character, but Eric, Red and Kelso are great too.

"Where's my toast you idiots?"

"The foreign kid just ate something off the floor."

as not aged well

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I started a re-watch a few months ago. I got a season and a half in and couldn't take it anymore.

Some great moments in the early days, but then it cratered.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I started a re-watch a few months ago. I got a season and a half in and couldn't take it anymore.

Some great moments in the early days, but then it cratered.

I don't know, like I said, im on season 4 and still laughing my ass off. I do remember it getting weaker around season 6 or so? The last season was brutal, but Eric and Kelso were gone, so that was to be expected.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I watched it when it was on but now trying to watch it in Syndication I cant really make it thru episodes

It really isn't that good to be honest upon 2nd watch

Not terrible but just not all that good. I stopped watching during original run the last few seasons when it got real stupid

Malcolm in the Middle (Which I haven't seen on TV recently) was a show I didn't watch much of in its original run but upon watching it in syndication I enjoyed it a lot more thru years

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day, it's on Netflix now, should get back into watching it. I remember it being chosen as the favorite TV show in my high school yearbook during the show's run.

Sep 19, 2008
I had a problem with literally everyone from the show, they all seemed like really irritating people, especially Fez and Eric's mom (the woman married to Red Foreman)

Such a nasal annoying voice

And then Red always said foot up your ass, as annoying a catchphrase as Joey from Friends. "HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOIN'. HOW U DOING." Haha hilarious!

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I had a problem with literally everyone from the show, they all seemed like really irritating people, especially Fez and Eric's mom (the woman married to Red Foreman)

Such a nasal annoying voice

And then Red always said foot up your ass, as annoying a catchphrase as Joey from Friends. "HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOING! HOW U DOIN'. HOW U DOING." Haha hilarious!

whatever IX doesn't like, that means everyone should enjoy it to piss him off

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It starts out pretty strong but craters real hard a couple seasons in. It's one of those shows where I watch specific episodes rather than entire seasons

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It starts out pretty strong but craters real hard a couple seasons in. It's one of those shows where I watch specific episodes rather than entire seasons

I find it gets even worse on netflix when you watch a dozen episodes straight and you see all of the patterns and tropes and formulic clichés that they relied on.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I loved it when I was a teen and still love it now.ike Scrubs it has a great first 3-5 seasons and then goes a little downhill

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
it's a decent show I used to enjoy it more when I was younger, now I can't really watch anything with a laugh track

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
I loved this show back when it was on TV, and spent the past few weeks watching the entire series on Netflix. Seasons one and two held up well, I thought, and three to five have their moments, but as others have mentioned it pretty much goes off a cliff after that.

I never noticed how quickly they ran out of steam until binge-watching it. The early episodes usually revolve around pretty simple, relatable situations - the first date, prom night, taking the car out of town to go to a concert, getting caught smoking, parents finding out about them having sex, some straightforward father/son bonding episodes like "Hunting" and "That Wrestling Show," etc. - but by the third and fourth seasons you already start to see some ridiculous, contrived concepts for episodes that miss more often than they hit, some irritatingly forced story archs (namely Eric and Donna fighting over some inane ******** every episode to build up to the big break-up), and lazy, glaring continuity errors (in the episode "Class Picture" alone, there's a flashback scene where Kelso keeps trying to "accidentally" walk in on Donna getting changed so he can see her naked, even though he presumably already would have when they all went skinny dipping in "Hyde Moves In," and another flashback scene where a young Kelso is fooling around with a young Jackie in Forman's basement, even though it's implied in "That '70s Pilot" that Kelso had only recently started dating Jackie and bringing her to the basement).

I'd say watch it up to season five and consider "Celebration Day" the finale. The only episodes worth watching from seasons six to eight that I can recall off the top of my head are "Happy Jack" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?"

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
One of the greatest shows growing up.

Absolutely ****ing HILARIOUS.

You know it was a good show when the majority of the cast went on to become pretty big names for themselves.

Kelso was a LEGEND in this show.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I binged this show back in May, watching all 200 episodes in 3 weeks. The first few seasons are really good, but it most definitely peaked in season one. It goes downhill FAST.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->