Thanks for Everything, Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nope but Tallon will be our new GM lol. Comes in making aggressive moves and goes all guns blazing leaving a trail of chaos behind (and a smell), Pens will be crippled for a long time after.

Or just hire Chi and he is the smell and Pens have no 1sts for years and suck with no 1sts and a bunch of nobodies. Jake for a AHLer, Marino to Oilers for Turris, etc.

Just give us a GM for 3 years max and don't f*** us over beyond those years when this team will become lottery bad.
Penguins should go by committee for the GM duties, do something different. It’d take some convincing but you hire 3 up and coming Assistant GMs that have a lot of new ways to approach the job and push a culture shift, then hire a veteran GM to just be a consultant.

But yeah, Morehouse’s greasy finger prints are all over an eventual Dale Tallon hire after pretending he did his due diligence and “spoke to several candidates but ultimately, decided to go with Dale Tallon with his pedigree of winning the cup” for the team he built and then got demoted for a mistake and won technically as an Assistant GM.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nope but Tallon will be our new GM lol. Comes in making aggressive moves and goes all guns blazing leaving a trail of chaos behind (and a smell), Pens will be crippled for a long time after.

Or just hire Chi and he is the smell and Pens have no 1sts for years and suck with no 1sts and a bunch of nobodies. Jake for a AHLer, Marino to Oilers for Turris, etc.

Just give us a GM for 3 years max and don't f*** us over beyond those years when this team will become lottery bad.
MacFarland could be the guy, I hope so.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, remember the absurd contract he gave to JJ. It wasn't just the fact that he was awful, he gave him ridiculous term as well. He did it with Semin in Carolina. Sully should have gotten a shorter term contract. The ownership trusted JR's judgement, that's on them but JR is the one who signed these guys.
I’m pretty sure Rutherford is also the one that traded Naslund for Stojanov and changed the Penguins logo to the Robo Pigeon.

He might also be responsible for Covid-19.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
MacFarland could be the guy, I hope so.
Odd how he was passed over for the Coyotes and Devils gig. He's apparently Sakics right hand man and dabbles in everything. A lot to do with the Cba side on behalf of the Avs from what I have read.

Chris MacFarland was hired by the Colorado Avalanche on May 21, 2015 and begins his sixth season as Assistant General Manager.
MacFarland, 50, works closely with Executive Vice President/General Manager Joe Sakic regarding all hockey-related matters.
A member of the Columbus Blue Jackets' hockey operations department for 16 years, MacFarland most recently assisted the team in scouting at the professional and amateur level, player contract research and negotiations, salary cap management and arbitration, collective bargaining agreement administration, budgeting and team scheduling issues. He also served as a liaison to the National Hockey League regarding matters pertaining to the collective bargaining agreement and oversaw the hockey operations efforts of the Blue Jackets' minor-league affiliates.

And - Source: Avs assistant GM Chris MacFarland being considered for Penguins job

Reactions: BHD

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m pretty sure Rutherford is also the one that traded Naslund for Stojanov and changed the Penguins logo to the Robo Pigeon.

He might also be responsible for Covid-19.
Craig Patrick traded Naslund for Stojanov, it wasn't Rutherford.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's the guy I want. Here's hoping!
He's definitely an intriguing candidate. I want no part of any actual GM they've listed. I'm curious about the assistants that are very tenured and handle the things we need this team to preach. Mac, I'd like to know more about his role in the drafts, scouting, etc before I'd be sold on him. What was he integral in for the Avs. Just saying he masterminded shit with Sakic tells me nothing.

You also have to keep in mind what the team will likely do - go for the veteran.

They feel comfortable with this core and think their window is still wide open. There's very few that are available that have won a cup as a GM and made those moves to be the big reason why. You want to know who those are?

Tallon - A bloke JR blocked but Morehouse likes.
Chiarelli - Marino's homeboy that loves to make moves so dumb you question his intellectual capacity.

What you hope for with what this team will likely do will severely disappoint you. Prepare your body and mind, Morehouse & Co are coming in dry.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Don't you think that ownership just might consider that too much upheaval in a short amount of time now that JR's gone?
Not really. The hierarchy separates the different levels of responsibility. They are all interconnected to a certain extent, but on a day-to-day basis, I don't think the owners or upper management really care who the coach is. They just want to win playoff games so they make more money.

The opposite is true, too. The coach of course wants to get paid and for the owners to put in the necessary resources to help build a good team, but day-to-day, it doesn't affect them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not really. The hierarchy separates the different levels of responsibility. They are all interconnected to a certain extent, but on a day-to-day basis, I don't think the owners or upper management really care who the coach is. They just want to win playoff games so they make more money.

The opposite is true, too. The coach of course wants to get paid and for the owners to put in the necessary resources to help build a good team, but day-to-day, it doesn't affect them.
I think you're underselling how important stability within the organization is. Their GM just resigned, if they fire the coach in short order chaos in some form or fashion will ensue. Also, they don't want to eat that salary IF they can help it. It may prove to be an untenable situation in keeping him. But I don't believe we're there just yet. And I am one of several who called for him to be fired back in 2019.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think you're underselling how important stability within the organization is. Their GM just resigned, if they fire the coach in short order chaos in some form or fashion will ensue. Also, they don't want to eat that salary IF they can help it. It may prove to be an untenable situation in keeping him. But I don't believe we're there just yet. And I am one of several who called for him to be fired back in 2019.
What good is stability if the team is floundering? Maybe they need a little chaos?

I don't expect them to do it, at least until they hire a new GM and/or they are in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs, but I don't think it would be a bad thing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What good is stability if the team is floundering? Maybe they need a little chaos?

I don't expect them to do it, at least until they hire a new GM and/or they are in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs, but I don't think it would be a bad thing.
Believe me I'm not against firing Sully. I just doubt it happens shortly after the GM resigns and considering the contract the team would have to eat. If say they lose six or seven in a row, then maybe they won't have a choice.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Believe me I'm not against firing Sully. I just doubt it happens shortly after the GM resigns and considering the contract the team would have to eat. If say they lose six or seven in a row, then maybe they won't have a choice.
I think it would because you can't tell the Pens fans and reporters that you think this core can win another one and then continue to watch this mess of a team injuries or not. The defense was hurt, the forwards weren't, you can't score the way they've been scoring and find that acceptable. Also of note, Sullivan desperately kept trying variations of the HBK even when Bones was gone but refuses to go GMR and it's clear who is stopping that from happening. His choices and usage of the forwards can't be something you want because you can't keep trading for top 6 wingers and then force them to work only with Malkin when they clearly have a better fit with someone else.

So you end up wasting assets and now have to unload those wingers and take a bath on the return.

Hornqvist worked well with Sid. But he wanted Simon and Rust there instead.

Zucker worked very well with Sid, but again he wants Jake and Rust as his wingers.

A coach that doesn't even have control of that will never get the results you're looking for moving forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Gallant is a strong minded enough person to come in and utilize this line up better than Sullivan has with the forwards.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think it would because you can't tell the Pens fans and reporters that you think this core can win another one and then continue to watch this mess of a team injuries or not. The defense was hurt, the forwards weren't, you can't score the way they've been scoring and find that acceptable. Also of note, Sullivan desperately kept trying variations of the HBK even when Bones was gone but refuses to go GMR and it's clear who is stopping that from happening. His choices and usage of the forwards can't be something you want because you can't keep trading for top 6 wingers and then force them to work only with Malkin when they clearly have a better fit with someone else.

So you end up wasting assets and now have to unload those wingers and take a bath on the return.

Hornqvist worked well with Sid. But he wanted Simon and Rust there instead.

Zucker worked very well with Sid, but again he wants Jake and Rust as his wingers.

A coach that doesn't even have control of that will never get the results you're looking for moving forward.
I don't disagree with much of any of that. I just don't think they'll do it unless they go into a tail spin. I've stated several times that Jake-Geno-Rust should be a line. It's quite unnerving that the obvious isn't tried. If Sid is blocking that then yeah bring on Gallant! I just don't know if they'll pull that trigger with recent events.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I agree it won't happen yet, just not for the reasons you suggest, other than maybe not wanting to pay Sully playing a factor.

The biggest reason is because the new GM will want to pick his coach, whether that is Sully or someone new. It's what they did when they fired Shero. They let JR decide Bylsma's fate.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't disagree with much of any of that. I just don't think they'll do it unless they go into a tail spin. I've stated several times that Jake-Geno-Rust should be a line. It's quite unnerving that the obvious isn't tried. If Sid is blocking that then yeah bring on Gallant! I just don't know if they'll pull that trigger with recent events.
If Sid is?

If?

Mate. Come on now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree it won't happen yet, just not for the reasons you suggest, other than maybe not wanting to pay Sully playing a factor.

The biggest reason is because the new GM will want to pick his coach, whether that is Sully or someone new. It's what they did when they fired Shero. They let JR decide Bylsma's fate.
Not wanting to pay Sully is a huge variable here IMO. What does he have, three more years beyond this season? I think if he was up in a year from now they'd be much more likely to can him sooner.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

If Sullivan stays and we all know what's coming with the playoffs, he'd have become Bylsma, fully.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not wanting to pay Sully is a huge variable here IMO. What does he have, three more years beyond this season? I think if he was up in a year from now they'd be much more likely to can him sooner.
If the team is legit using that as the excuse then their broke dumb asses can enjoy the failures. You can't say you want more cups and then be afraid to waste the core that gives you that false hope because you don't want to pay a new coach because your current one can't get the results anymore.

It's a business. You don't keep a manager on that doesn't hit targets anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad