Thanks for Everything, Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
“We’re not going to whine here,” Tortorella said. “Pittsburgh can whine. Pittsburgh whines enough for the whole league so there’s no room for any other team to whine.”

Torts was then asked a follow up. What doesn’t he like about the Penguins?
“A lot of things, but I’m not going to talk about it now,” Tortorella said. “A lot of things.”

“Quite honestly, I don’t like the team,” Torts said. “And I say that, very…not in a personal way, but it’s a team that we want to beat."

"It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens."
"It's ridiculous. But they'll whine about something else over there, won't they, starting with their two (expletive) stars."

He's already working for Pens PR.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Rangers fan coming in peace.

I have read some rumors Rangers might want to hire Sullivan as the next head coach if he became available. Out of all the options that have been floating around (other than the very unrealistic Brind'Amour), I think sullivan might be the best choice.

What do you guys think? How likely is it that Sullivan gets fired in case of an early play-off exit?

BTW just a disclaimer: I am actually rooting for the Pens in the East (God have mercy on my soul), because I can't stand NYI, BOS and most of all WSH due to recent events.

Do you think he would be a good fit at Rangers?

How much do you (dis)like him? judging by this thread, some of you wanted him gone in January already.

Thanks a lot and please, destroy the Fishsticks for us (even if it means no Sullivan in New York).

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

I have read some rumors Rangers might want to hire Sullivan as the next head coach if he became available. Out of all the options that have been floating around (other than the very unrealistic Brind'Amour), I think sullivan might be the best choice.

What do you guys think? How likely is it that Sullivan gets fired in case of an early play-off exit?

BTW just a disclaimer: I am actually rooting for the Pens in the East (God have mercy on my soul), because I can't stand NYI, BOS and most of all WSH due to recent events.

How much do you (dis)like him? judging by this thread, some of you wanted him gone in January already.

Thanks a lot and please, destroy the Fishsticks for us (even if it means no Sullivan in New York).

He's not going anywhere despite what people here will tell you. They're just mad he doesn't give #71 > #59.

Reactions: Kaapo Hollweg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think it's very unrealistic for Sullivan to get fired unless the playoffs are a downright catastrophe. Ever since Hextall came along, the Penguins have been near the top of the league and Sullivan's coaching is a big reason for that. I think there were rumors that the Penguins owners basically advertised the GM role as "you'll get this great team with this great coach" when there were GMs applying for it, so I don't think they'd green-light a firing unless things went really sour. Even if Hextall wanted to bring in one of his own guys, I'm not sure the owners would allow it.

Penguins fans complain about him because their last 2 playoff appearances have been disasters, which he does have a lot of responsibility for. He got wildly out-coached by Trotz in 2019 and the 2020 fiasco was just an embarrassment with both coaches and players (although I blame this one mostly on the players). Sullivan is probably the best Penguins coach they have ever had, just because they've had a lot of bad coaches over the years.

In terms of fit, he'd be an excellent coach for the Rangers just because he's a really good coach himself. He's has a lot of the good attributes of Tortorella while not being an ultra abrasive asshole. I think he'd excel on an offensive team with a lot of young talent, which fits the Rangers really well.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He's not going anywhere despite what people here will tell you. They're just mad he doesn't give #71 > #59.

he is in exactly the same position Bylsma was in when they fired him... sixth year, several embarrassing playoff losses, in 2014 the pens won the division, Bylsma became their all time winningest coach and was named the isa head coach for the olympics, and after another bad playoff loss the pens fired him despite having him under contract for several more years....

If the pens go out in embarrassing fashion again they absolutely fire him... its the Lemieux way

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he is in exactly the same position Bylsma was in when they fired him... sixth year, several embarrassing playoff losses, in 2014 the pens won the division, Bylsma became their all time winningest coach and was named the isa head coach for the olympics, and after another bad playoff loss the pens fired him despite having him under contract for several more years....

If the pens go out in embarrassing fashion again they absolutely fire him... its the Lemieux way

"Several embarrassing playoff losses"

Bylsma's entire time in the playoffs was embarrassing playoff losses after the 2009 cup win. Shit the bed against Montreal in 2010. Blew a 3-1 series lead while getting outscored 13-3 in 3 elimination games in 2011. Complete meltdown in 2012 and 2013. Blew a 3-1 series lead while getting outscored 10-3 in 3 elimination games in 2014. Sullivan has had 2 bad series.

Sullivan has a way to go before he reaches anything close to the colossal failure that Bylsma was in the playoffs.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Let me add that as far as nhl coaches go, Sully is good... there just is a point when coaches go stale and despite the regular season it’s possible that he is just there....

but i have a good feeling for these playoffs

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Bylsma's entire time in the playoffs was embarrassing playoff losses after the 2009 cup win. Shit the bed against Montreal in 2010. Blew a 3-1 series lead while getting outscored 13-3 in 3 elimination games in 2011. Complete meltdown in 2012 and 2013. Blew a 3-1 series lead in 2014. Sullivan has had 2 bad series.

Sullivan has a way to go before he reaches anything close to the colossal failure that Bylsma was in the playoffs.

If he were to falter again, that would be three and we knowctgat the front office pushed shero to jettison Bylsma in that timeframe and shero simply refused

If we were to get swept or lose dramatically in five or something he is out....

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Bylsma > Sullivan is such a lazy comparison. Doesn't deserve my attention.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I revile Bylsma, but MAF's several year diarrhea show cannot be understated.

I think Sullivan's a smart coach who let success make his head grow a bit too big, and his voice is pretty well lost in the room. Coaches have expiration dates and tough guy coaches like Sully probably have shorter shelf life. Especially on a veteran team of guys with huge names, huge paychecks, and legacies that run the gamut of experience at this level. They don't want to hear some dude barking the same shit about accountability and smarts in their ear all night long while he f***s up the line combos/defense pairings.

Bylsma's a dummy. Totally in over his head as an NHL head coach. Sullivan will be hired almost the moment he's fired.

Though neither hold a candle to MJ. That dude was classic "I bullshitted my way through the interview and am wholly unqualified to be here. Uhhh, everyone just play prevent defense for 60 minutes."

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bylsma > Sullivan is such a lazy comparison. Doesn't deserve my attention.

not at all what i am saying.... this team has a long history of coaching changes and they aren’t going to risk the back end of crosby and Malkin careers if they don’t see results

three failed playoffs is about par for the course especially with a team that needs to make it to the second round for good profits.... if he loses bad he is out... id bet money on it

Reactions: Andy99

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Bylsma was basically the Barry Switzer of the NHL. Sullivan isn't. The only way he gets canned is if there is a philosophical difference between himself & Burke/Hextall. In other words, they go out early, Sullivan is told changes will be made, he disagrees. In that scenario, his job is in jeopardy. He wins a round or two, his job is reasonably safe.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bylsma was basically the Barry Switzer of the NHL. Sullivan isn't. The only way he gets canned is if there is a philosophical difference between himself & Burke/Hextall. In other words, they go out early, Sullivan is told changes will be made, he disagrees. In that scenario, his job is in jeopardy. He wins a round or two, his job is reasonably safe.

The gm in Pittsburgh has never had that much say in coaching... since 1984, save for a small window from his first retirement until he bought tge team, Mario has pretty much pulled those strings.... thats a dude that banned scotty bowman from practices in 93..... he has all the say, don’t kid yourself

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The gm in Pittsburgh has never had that much say in coaching... since 1984, save for a small window from his first retirement until he bought tge team, Mario has pretty much pulled those strings.... thats a dude that banned scotty bowman from practices in 93..... he has all the say, don’t kid yourself

True, that was in the past, but Burke/Hextall don't come here if they are just yes-men. That's just not in their DNA.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Bylsma's entire time in the playoffs was embarrassing playoff losses after the 2009 cup win. Shit the bed against Montreal in 2010. Blew a 3-1 series lead while getting outscored 13-3 in 3 elimination games in 2011. Complete meltdown in 2012 and 2013. Blew a 3-1 series lead while getting outscored 10-3 in 3 elimination games in 2014. Sullivan has had 2 bad series.

Did Bylsma ever lose to the 24th best team in the playoffs?? Did he ever go 1-9 in 10 straight playoff games?

Sullivan is Bylsma, bud. If he can win a round or two, then maybe he can distance himself from Bylsma again. I’d almost give Bylsma a free pass for 2011 since we were decimated with injuries, but he did blow a large series lead.

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Did Bylsma ever lose to the 24th best team in the playoffs?? Did he ever go 1-9 in 10 straight playoff games?

Sullivan is Bylsma, bud. If he can win a round or two, then maybe he can distance himself from Bylsma again. I’d almost give Bylsma a free pass for 2011 since we were decimated with injuries, but he did blow a large series lead.

What a lazy post. I mean Sullivan won two cups. Bylsma won with Therrien's team.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To think that I've lived long enough in this world to see . . . checks notes . . . Lesky resurrecting himself with a new username and posing as mankind's arbiter of what constitutes intellectual rigor.

Heaven forbid one deign to think the recent playoff record should speak for itself . . .

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
To think that I've lived long enough in this world to see . . . checks notes . . . Lesky resurrecting himself as mankind's arbiter of what constitutes intellectual rigor.

Heaven forbid one deign to let the recent playoff record speak for itself . . .

I haven’t a clue what your post means or is referencing....it also made my frontal lobe ache......please mail me $2o for my pain and suffering.....

ty

Reactions: KIRK

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

He’s a typical meathead from bean town........take him and thank you.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

It's an extreme long shot. If they get embarrassed by the Isles again and there is a fundamental difference between Burke/Hextall wanting to get bigger/tougher and Sullivan wanting to double down on speed, then maybe. But I think both things would have to happen to an extreme level.

Sullivan would be a fantastic coach for...well...anybody, but including the Rags. The only potential problem I'd see would be if Tom Wilson has infected the brains of NYR ownership/upper management like he did to Rutherford in 2017. Didn't mesh well with Sullivan.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Besides being about the Islanders' series, this also belongs here.

Those who say Sullivan doesn't make schematic or strategic adjustments are dead wrong, and Jesse Marshall brought the receipts.

Marshall: A deep analysis of the Islanders' defense — and how the Penguins can beat it with versatility

As with all of Jesse's stuff, really great insight. Will be interesting to see if/how Trotz adjusts to the Pens activating D on the breakout.

When the king of the keyboard experts says something polar opposite of what the other keyboard experts are saying, we’re all left scratching our heads.

Well said Shawn Ron.

As with your thoughts on apartment remodeling and any other subject on which you opine, your insight on coaching is without peer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad