Thank You

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We're a young talented but inexperienced team. Next season we keep building on our successes and we win the division and get home ice.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think that is fair to say, we are entering year 3 of the Matthews era and I would suspect management will expect more from this young team. I doubt that the trades we make will bring in significant pieces. It will be more of a tinkering thing. I suspect our answers are in the AHL or soon to be in the AHL.

Clearly this team needs more Hyman's and less Bozak's, more grinding worker bee's that are willing to jump in the trench with out any consideration and less perimeter players.

I would be shocked to see a core player like Kadri, Rielly, Marner, Andersen traded. I would not be shocked to see a third tier player like Brown, Zaitsev traded.

I think if that’s the off-season, we shouldn’t expect much different results.

The net subtractions and net additions resulting from tinkering will get us to relatively the same place.

I’m not saying blow it up, but they do need to put a more significant flag in the ground through a deal of substance. A Subban for Weber type.

Using that example, it’s a Tale of Two Cities in terms of outcome so it’s not without risk.

But without being specific, a piece(s) of significance needs to be on the table in order to bring back a return of similar significance in an area of need

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think if that’s the off-season, we shouldn’t expect much different results.

The net subtractions and net additions resulting from tinkering will get us to relatively the same place.

I’m not saying blow it up, but they do need to put a more significant flag in the ground through a deal of substance. A Subban for Weber type.

Using that example, it’s a Tale of Two Cities in terms of outcome so it’s not without risk.

But without being specific, a piece(s) of significance needs to be on the table in order to bring back a return of similar significance in an area of need

If similar results is what we get, I'd take that.

Bozie, JVR, Komarov, Polok will all be gone. From a production/skill/compete perspective it should be fairly easy to upgrade Bozak, Polok and Komarov. JVR's production however will not be an easy fix but it's an addition through subtraction for him, he has obvious abilities on the PP but he is also a black hole when it comes to his defensive game.

I would suggest that after allowing 5 goals, 7 goals and 7 goals on the road and allowing 2 goals, 3 goals and 1 goal at home, we need to be a team that is able to match lines better defensively on the road. Considering who Lou (NJ Trap) is and Babcock's past history with elite shutdown lines in Detroit, my money is on players who fit the elite shutdown roles. Those guys tend to not cost as much as elite offensive players. You can tinker and get very good defensive forwards.

I like Kappy and Johnnson in that shut down type role.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Nice positive post, Bluelines.

I have been staying away from the boards because of the persistent hot-takes and negativity. But my here's my take:

- I don't think Andersen is to blame whatsoever, if it wasn't for him we would have never made it past game 5.
- I'm not worried about Matthews with his 3% shooting, that will never last with a guy of his calibre.
- Not overly concerned about our D, although we need to upgrade on Hainsey and/or flip Gardiner for a different playing style dman.
- I am concerned about Nylander's willingness to play competitively. He's a beast when he's on and engaged but he plays with no heart. To be honest, he has kind of fell out of my favourites.
- We really saw Marner & Marleau's value.

In short, I think our players and the whole organization can take a few lessons from this series. Someday us fans will look back at this series as a pivotal moment in our young players development.

Reactions: Bluelines

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Definitely thank you. It sucks whenever a season ends (without a Cup ;)), but at least the conclusion has been in back-to-back playoffs. I'll take that over not qualifying.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nice positive post, Bluelines.

I have been staying away from the boards because of the persistent hot-takes and negativity. But my here's my take:

- I don't think Andersen is to blame whatsoever, if it wasn't for him we would have never made it past game 5.
- I'm not worried about Matthews with his 3% shooting, that will never last with a guy of his calibre.
- Not overly concerned about our D, although we need to upgrade on Hainsey and/or flip Gardiner for a different playing style dman.
- I am concerned about Nylander's willingness to play competitively. He's a beast when he's on and engaged but he plays with no heart. To be honest, he has kind of fell out of my favourites.
- We really saw Marner & Marleau's value.

In short, I think our players and the whole organization can take a few lessons from this series. Someday us fans will look back at this series as a pivotal moment in our young players development.

Thank you and same to you.

Without out knowing Andy was hurt, Andy was hurt. :D :( .

Austin was clearly not Austin, the guy is a physical beast, he rarely engaged in physical play, rarely had that world class snapshot/wrister, he was clearly not 100%.

Hainsey played a tonne of tough minutes this year, the guy is cracking close to 40 years old and I have no doubt there was not much left in the tank, heck I'm in shape and a little older than Hainsey and I huff and puff just to get to the fridge. ;)

Marner did himself a world of good by competing hard, he now knows he is better than 95% of the league, he will have a gud pro summer and be a great player for us next year.

You hit the nail on the head when you say this series will be a pivotal moment for our young players.

I can honestly say that when I look at our core individually , there is not one player who did not grow this year. That's a positive.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I want to send to Shanny, Lou, Babs, Hunter, training staff and all the players a huge thank you for an exciting season, it ended far too early but in the end we are 2 years removed from the #1 pick and we are pushing a very good Boston team to game 7.

Outstanding work to get our team to this point and I look forward to the changes you have planned for next year that will move this team to the next level.

The experience will make our core stronger and for those that will be leaving us it allowed management the opportunity to see the parts that don't work.

From a grateful fan, thank you.

PS: Thank you to the mods who volunteer their free time to keep it somewhat civil on these forums.

Bluelines

It's a damn shame more fans are not as level headed as you

wonderful post:thumbu:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Bozie, JVR, Komarov, Polok will all be gone. From a production/skill/compete perspective it should be fairly easy to upgrade Bozak, Polok and Komarov. JVR's production however will not be an easy fix but it's an addition through subtraction for him, he has obvious abilities on the PP but he is also a black hole when it comes to his defensive game.

I would suggest that after allowing 5 goals, 7 goals and 7 goals on the road and allowing 2 goals, 3 goals and 1 goal at home, we need to be a team that is able to match lines better defensively on the road. Considering who Lou (NJ Trap) is and Babcock's past history with elite shutdown lines in Detroit, my money is on players who fit the elite shutdown roles. Those guys tend to not cost as much as elite offensive players. You can tinker and get very good defensive forwards.

Bostons 19 HOME PP leagues highest

Toronto's 5 home PP leagues lowest

might have had an impact on that.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
After watching a few games in the second round, this Leafs team was not going anywhere after the second round, unless they beat Boston and were allowed to play Boston again.

That the expansion team full of grinders and a couple of scorers is onto the semi-finals, shows what today's NHL is all about.

Maybe hockey was always about grinders half the time. Las Vegas in the expansion draft, got to choose the best grinders available.

The only real difference between the LVG defense and the Leafs defense is that LVG is bigger.

Toronto needs more grinders, and to light a fire under young William's butt.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I know I'm gonna start a war here, but I don't agree that Bozak's compete and production will be 'fairly easy to upgrade'. That is going to be a pretty big hole to fill.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Statistically the Leafs had a strong and successful regular season. :thumbu:

Unfortunately its the playoffs that matter most and the regular season is really only for playoff seating. :thumbd:

Hopefully next year is better end result.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I know I'm gonna start a war here, but I don't agree that Bozak's compete and production will be 'fairly easy to upgrade'. That is going to be a pretty big hole to fill.

Not starting a war at all, I think it would be a good discussion. I will start a discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->