Thank You Toby Enstrom!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I wish Enstrom and his wife the very best.
Hope her health issues become a thing of the past.
IF we were to somehow get Enstrom back it would have to be 2 years max for me at no more than 1.5 per.
I get he is a good defender but we cannot chuck too much $$ at a guy who may not be able to give you a full season.
That’s my main concern.
If he doesn’t come back perhaps a nice commemorative celebration for him ?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure how Ben is being underrated. He had a nice hot stretch where he picked up some points and he played more confidently but at the end of the day his metrics where still the worst of any dmen on the team. He is what he is a serviceable 6-7.

I still think he is a little better than that. Definitely no more than a 3rd pair D but I think he plays every day for a lot of teams. If he is our #7 we are pretty solid.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Eye test is flawed though. People look at things differently. They interpret things differently. And we’re all subject to preconceived biases. Stats help us confirm or change what we “think” we know.
You use stats to try and back up what you see but they do not tell you the truth all the time. Chiarot is hard to play against has very good shot and some offensive upside and clear's out the front of the net . Some games makes some bad reads and give away's but i am talking a 5-6 dman making on the cheap side . Guys like Enstrom are physically a mismatch in playoffs, his reads are good and and gap control is ok but if i'm dumping the puck in or carrying it in i know which side i'm going to and i know i can screen the goalie all i want cause he sure can't move me or do anything to deter me from going there. Now Chiarot is not going to be top 4 but choosing between him and Enstrom to fill out for the next 3 or 4 years to me it's an easy decision. Him and Poolman will make a good 5-6 for the next while but i do see more skill set in Poolman ie better first pass better vision

Reactions: Flair Hay

boanst

May 25, 2013
You use stats to try and back up what you see but they do not tell you the truth all the time. Chiarot is hard to play against has very good shot and some offensive upside and clear's out the front of the net . Some games makes some bad reads and give away's but i am talking a 5-6 dman making on the cheap side . Guys like Enstrom are physically a mismatch in playoffs, his reads are good and and gap control is ok but if i'm dumping the puck in or carrying it in i know which side i'm going to and i know i can screen the goalie all i want cause he sure can't move me or do anything to deter me from going there. Now Chiarot is not going to be top 4 but choosing between him and Enstrom to fill out for the next 3 or 4 years to me it's an easy decision. Him and Poolman will make a good 5-6 for the next while but i do see more skill set in Poolman ie better first pass better vision
Chiarot is hard to play against? That's a good one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it really?

Not saying he is stopping other teams top lines, but as a third pairing Dman, he is hard to play against.

It depends what you mean by hard to play against. Sure he is physically strong along the wall and will punish you in front of the net. But if you have the puck and are skating at him, he is easy to play against as you can force him back and get a good chance. You can also chip and retrieve fairly easily against him. If you don't have the puck he is easy to pressure into making a poor pass or icing the puck.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I guess there is no such thing as defense in your world. Don’t really get why people bring up his cap hit. It’s always been irrelevant in respect to our cap. It’s never handicapped us whatsoever and is coming off the books at the perfect time. So complaining about it is just people going out of their way to find something negative.

I think it’s more about people thinking about value for money. We payed almost a million dollars for every one of Enström’s points. He was 14th last in points by NHL defensemen playing 40+ games. It’s hard to look at those numbers without thinking of his salary.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think it’s more about people thinking about value for money. We payed almost a million dollars for every one of Enström’s points. He was 14th last in points by NHL defensemen playing 40+ games. It’s hard to look at those numbers without thinking of his salary.

And thats fair but he was also among tops in the league in defensive metrics. On a team that is already among the tops in offense in the league relying on him for offense is a non priority when he can help shut down other teams. Not to mention how much easier he makes it for our forwards exiting the zone.

And i get the value thing, but in the same token, his contract has never handicapped us in any way whatsoever. It’s literally TNSE’s money that is being “thrown out”. Even at that price he has still be a beneficial player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And thats fair but he was also among tops in the league in defensive metrics. On a team that is already among the tops in offense in the league relying on him for offense is a non priority when he can help shut down other teams. Not to mention how much easier he makes it for our forwards exiting the zone.

And i get the value thing, but in the same token, his contract has never handicapped us in any way whatsoever. It’s literally TNSE’s money that is being “thrown out”. Even at that price he has still be a beneficial player.

Agreed, in the end he was ok (not great) value for his contract. Imo he gave us 2 seasons of good number 2 play, 2 as a solid second pairing player with one meh year. It could have been better, but it could have been far worse as well cough Bogo cough. Chalk it up to a contract that neither falls in the good or bad bin.

On a different note, Toby was probably very instrumental in Morrissey's development. Morrissey plays very similarly in the dzone and I would think having a talented vet mentor like Toby really helped him in the nuances of puck retrieval, breakouts and gap control through the nz.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Agreed, in the end he was ok (not great) value for his contract. Imo he gave us 2 seasons of good number 2 play, 2 as a solid second pairing player with one meh year. It could have been better, but it could have been far worse as well cough Bogo cough. Chalk it up to a contract that neither falls in the good or bad bin.

On a different note, Toby was probably very instrumental in Morrissey's development. Morrissey plays very similarly in the dzone and I would think having a talented vet mentor like Toby really helped him in the nuances of puck retrieval, breakouts and gap control through the nz.
You just have a way higher opinion of Toby and that is just fine we just disagree on what type of dman we like , that,s all

Reactions: Beavski24

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Tobias Enström out - Sami Niku in.

Whatever the problem is Clint Eastwood will fix it ... or Iron Maiden!

One Swede out - one Finn in.

No probs.

Niku will fix it all.

A younger updated version of a young Toby E. in his heyday in Atlanta.

What can even go wrong Winnipeg?

Reactions: Flair Hay

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
If it wasn't definitive already that Enström won't be coming back, now it is:
”Modo i hemligt möte – med NHL-stjärnan”

His agent said that Enström wants to see what kind of offers he gets in free agency, before deciding between them or playing for Modo in Sweden. They are hoping for a lucrative NHL contract via free agency.

Reactions: JetsUK

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it really?

Not saying he is stopping other teams top lines, but as a third pairing Dman, he is hard to play against.

It depends what you mean by hard to play against. Sure he is physically strong along the wall and will punish you in front of the net. But if you have the puck and are skating at him, he is easy to play against as you can force him back and get a good chance. You can also chip and retrieve fairly easily against him. If you don't have the puck he is easy to pressure into making a poor pass or icing the puck.

So much this ^^^

Ben's gap control is pretty bad but most fans give him a pass on it, much like Stu before him Ben is inoculated from allot of the scrutiny due to size and physicality. When it comes to defending and beating the forecheck when he is under pressure he is not that tough to play against. I like Ben as a #7 though, he is a decent depth piece but my expectations of guys in the #7 spot are not that high and Ben is more than adequate.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So much this ^^^

Ben's gap control is pretty bad but most fans give him a pass on it, much like Stu before him Ben is inoculated from allot of the scrutiny due to size and physicality. When it comes to defending and beating the forecheck when he is under pressure he is not that tough to play against. I like Ben as a #7 though, he is a decent depth piece but my expectations of guys in the #7 spot are not that high and Ben is more than adequate.

Nailed it.

It's like the guy doesn't even know where his own blue line is some games. Great net front guy on the PK, terrible reads and is arguably the worst Jet at giving up the blue line off the rush.

If anyone watched the Jets all year, it didn't take much to notice teams attacking the left side on the PP when Chiarot was on the ice. You obviously need your 6th guy to eat some minutes on the PK but that part of his game is awful.

Reactions: ps241

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Enstrom is 5'8" and you can't teach that....

Too small to be effective going forward I think. Happy to be wrong, as long as he's on a different team, but I suspect he won't be back in the NHL.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Enstrom is 5'8" and you can't teach that....

Too small to be effective going forward I think. Happy to be wrong, as long as he's on a different team, but I suspect he won't be back in the NHL.

did he shrink? everywhere has him officially listed at 5'10. There are other decently effective small dmen such as Ryan Ellis or Jared Spurgeon. I think it is more the aging plus wear and tear on the body that has taken a toll on Toby's game. He could slot into a few teams defence corps playing a minimum role but I don't personally think there would be room for him on most contenders besides as a depth player. So at that point is it even worth it to continue in the NHL or to play prime minutes in your home country?

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
did he shrink? everywhere has him officially listed at 5'10. There are other decently effective small dmen such as Ryan Ellis or Jared Spurgeon. I think it is more the aging plus wear and tear on the body that has taken a toll on Toby's game. He could slot into a few teams defence corps playing a minimum role but I don't personally think there would be room for him on most contenders besides as a depth player. So at that point is it even worth it to continue in the NHL or to play prime minutes in your home country?
5'10" with skates on maybe.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Thank you Toby.....you gave me the ultimate gift of being able to figure out who the stupid hockey fans were much faster.

Atlanta might have got your best two seasons but we got some really good ones here too, obviously injuries and father time were catching up to you but all the best to you!!
I LOVE your post! That was always my benchmark, too!

It made my hockey discussions so much easier... If you thought Enstrom was a lousy d, I didn't need to waste any more time on your opinion...

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I LOVE your post! That was always my benchmark, too!

It made my hockey discussions so much easier... If you thought Enstrom was a lousy d, I didn't need to waste any more time on your opinion...

Great attitude to have on a discussion board.

Imagine if everyone went with the “if you don’t agree with my opinion, I’m not going to waste my time on your opinion”

Would make for a pretty boring place, with a lot less posts.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Hes a very good D man for a certain style ... this year just wasn't it.

Wouldn't surprises me if he wasn't a 5-6 on vegas next year.

Over the last 5 years . he was on of our best....

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Enstrom was very good no argument there.
At this point in time his durability is not likely going to get better.
Is it worth a gamble to a guy who the last few seasons probably averages 50 games?
Just a guess on the above.
At a small $ amount and little term sure why not?
Best wishes wherever his journey takes him.
I’d be surprised if we had him back.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If it wasn't definitive already that Enström won't be coming back, now it is:
”Modo i hemligt möte – med NHL-stjärnan”

His agent said that Enström wants to see what kind of offers he gets in free agency, before deciding between them or playing for Modo in Sweden. They are hoping for a lucrative NHL contract via free agency.
This is the routine it seems. I suspect they'll use NHL offers as leverage and sign in Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad