Thank You Toby Enstrom!

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Really happy for Toby.

As an aside, I don’t know what I would’ve done if he had signed with the leafs....

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Glad he's off the roster, but appreciate his efforts in the early Winnipeg Jets days. Hopefully he can get a couple of good years in Europe to set him up for a good training school over there to support himself and his family.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I have said many of these things before but now that it’s official.

Was quite the polarizing Jet at times. Many fans were either with him or seemingly against him in his time here. As posted before I started as a detractor and grew to appreciate his qualities and even purchased a #39 playoff jersey from 2015.

Of course waiving his NMC was helpful in last seasons run.

Interesting that he was scratched in his final game and bolted out of town.

Wish he would have done more media interviews.

I will always have a few questions.

1. What happened to the rumoured contract extension as a reward for waiving the NMC?
2. Why did he retire from International competition at such a relatively young age?

One of the many Jets over the years to have Don Baizly as an agent.

He certainly doesn’t deserve Jets HOF honours but would be nice to see him drop the puck before a game sometime with a video tribute to let the fans show their appreciation for his time here.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Unfortunately the NHL game has passed him by but you can't dispute what he did in Atlanta and early on here in Winnipeg, he saw the writing on the wall and went back home to continue playing in familiar surroundings .....................lycka till and tack Toby

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He certainly doesn’t deserve Jets HOF honours but would be nice to see him drop the puck before a game sometime with a video tribute to let the fans show their appreciation for his time here.

They say time heals all wounds (and wounds all heels, but I'll save that for the Trouba thread). I think for now there is too much acrimony toward the team, but perhaps that will fade. An Enstrom appreciation night would be deserved.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I have said many of these things before but now that it’s official.

Was quite the polarizing Jet at times. Many fans were either with him or seemingly against him in his time here. As posted before I started as a detractor and grew to appreciate his qualities and even purchased a #39 playoff jersey from 2015.

Of course waiving his NMC was helpful in last seasons run.

Interesting that he was scratched in his final game and bolted out of town.

Wish he would have done more media interviews.

I will always have a few questions.

1. What happened to the rumoured contract extension as a reward for waiving the NMC?
2. Why did he retire from International competition at such a relatively young age?

One of the many Jets over the years to have Don Baizly as an agent.

I can answer #2:

It's well known that Enstrom and the Swedish coach had an open dislike for each other. That's at least how it started...

Reactions: Duke749

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm guessing you don't know how SHL vs Allsvenskan works...

Sure do, relegated team playing in a league that averages only 3K per game, league would be slightly below the ECHL! Why would he even bother?!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I hope whatever raw feelings he had towards the Jets due to being benched the last game can be resolved in due time. Would be sad for him to be bitter towards the franchise long term after spending his entire career with them.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Figured he would have at least caught on with a SHL team! Just saying.

Sure do, relegated team playing in a league that averages only 3K per game, league would be slightly below the ECHL! Why would he even bother?!

Because that's what he wants to do.

The man has made like ~45 million over his NHL career, conservatively assuming he kept 50% of that post-tax and saved 50% of that (anyone would any amount of financial management can easily save that and way more at his income level) that's ~12 million in his bank account at retirement time (not counting his other assets that he would have spent money on that have value ie houses, cars etc). If he puts half of that into an average performing mutual find than he can expect to make $600k in interest every year, the man can literally live like a king off of interest without ever having to dip into his savings if he wants to.

Whatever he's doing right now is because he enjoys doing it not because of financial motives.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope whatever raw feelings he had towards the Jets due to being benched the last game can be resolved in due time. Would be sad for him to be bitter towards the franchise long term after spending his entire career with them.
Let's all hope protecting a player's feelings doesn't become the primary criteria if they should be dressed or not. I'm guessing Toby is mature enough to understand tough decisions need to be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->